•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SIG-Sauer Zulu 9

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:46 AM

Got the Zulu finally,

see

https://www.cloudyni...e-weight/page-2

posts #42 ss.

They must have been designed by somebody who watched too many Star Wars episodes ....

Will do a mini-review shortly, since there seems to be some interest here, but this is not really an astro bino, so I will keep it short.

Pinac

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0139-1.JPG
  • IMG_0140-1.JPG

• Mad Matt and Stellarfire like this

#2 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:10 AM

[....]

They must have been designed by somebody who watched too many Star Wars episodes ....

Will do a mini-review shortly, since there seems to be some interest here, but this is not really an astro bino, so I will keep it short.

Pinac

waytogo.gif

• Mad Matt likes this

#3 dries1

dries1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Northwest Delaware

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:35 AM

Pinac,

Are those the 11X45? or the 9X45. Cue the music from the Empire Strikes Back during your review.

Andy W.

#4 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:29 PM

Andy,

it’s the 9x45; it‘s marked on the focus wheel, but not very prominently („engraved“ black on black).

And thanks for the tip re „Empire Strikes Back“ lol.gif

#5 dries1

dries1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:53 PM

Thank you Pinac, very subtle indeed. It actually could be a prop for star Wars, storm-trooper battle gear.

Andy W.

#6 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:04 PM

Very futuristic looking for sure!

I see in their catalog that they use A-K prisms. Are they noticeably longer/bulkier than a typical 42mm roof? 9x45 sounds like a good combo to me...

I look forward to reading your impressions.

Rich

#7 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:59 AM

Looks like a Klingons forehead, not my cup of tea,however to the OP enjoy in good healthgrin.gif D.

P.S. where are they made?.

Edited by Binojunky, 08 May 2018 - 10:00 AM.

#8 rogan

rogan

Viking 1

• Loc: Georgia, USA

Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:32 AM

Tomorrow I will be in receipt of the more diminutive Zulu 3 (for terrestrial). My understanding is that they are made in Japan.

#9 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:12 PM

I believe the Mavan B2 9x45 is a somewhat more ascetically pleasing version of the same binocular. I personally find the B4 10x56 to be a very interesting... I am simply waiting for Pinac to buy one and post a review here grin.gif flowerred.gif bow.gif

#10 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:20 PM

SIG SAUER Zulu 9 9x45

Designed by SIG Sauer Electro-Optics, Portland, Oregon
Assembled in Japan by ? (Kamakura?)

Beside the Zulu 9 models, SIG SAUER also sells:

Zulu 3 (8x32, 10x32)
Zulu 5 (8x42, 10x42)
Zulu 7 (8x42, 10x42) ((the product booklet also mentions a 15x56, but is not on SIG’s website))

The Zulu 9 line of products consists of 2 models: 9x45, 11x45
------------------------------

I reviewed the Zulu 9 9x45. Some data:

- RFOV 7.2 o = 126m/1000m
- Eye relief: 17mm
- IPD: 56-74mm
- Close focus: 1.9m
- Effective aperture: 45mm (measured)
- Length: 190.5mm
- Prisms: Abbe-König
- Weight acc. to spec. “naked”: 950g.
- Weight measured with strap and eye caps: 1086g
- Guarantee period: unlimited, fully  transferrable ***

Excellent finish, the armour fits the binocular body perfectly; the grip is very good, dry or wet. The binocular appears rather heavy, but is well balanced.

Mechanics:
Impeccable - bridge, eyecups (positions: fully in / 2 distinct intermediate click stops / fully out), central focusing (smooth, precise), dpt. adjustment on right eyepiece - everything makes a solid, precise and extremely robust impression.

Optics:
Nice round exit pupils, no false pupils and almost perfectly dark areas around the EP; some vignetting but quite within limits.

Ease of view (“Einblickverhalten”) good. Collimation / alignment good. The field of view is with 7.2 degrees not overwhelming, but decent.

Excellent central sharpness and contrast, nice bright image. Off-axis sharpness deteriorates from about 70% outwards towards the edge of the image.
There is quite a bit of rectilinear distortion, but (consequently) very little globe effect; nice, easy and relaxed panning.

There is also quite a bit of field curvature. This is clearly NOT a flat field binocular.

Stray-light suppression appears very good, almost no veiling glare, very little reflections. Almost no spikes.

CA: there is CA, to me it is clearly visible even at the center of the image, further out it is even more pronounced. For a relatively expensive binocular with ED glass, CA could be better corrected. Comparing the Zulu to to other “subprime” binos with ED glass, e.g.  the Vortex Razor 8x42 and the Kowa Genesis 8.5x44: the Kowa shows clearly less CA, the Razor shows similar amounts as the Zulu. This is the only area where I disagree with Piergiovanni Salimbeni’s recent very positive review of the Zulu 11x45 model (he found CA very well corrected). I am not very sensitive to CA, but I recognize it when I see it, and I think it can be better corrected than in the Zulu.

Color fidelity (paper test acc. to W. Schön): very good. Natural colors in field use.

Preliminary conclusion:

This is an expensive bino, but it’s overall optical and mechanical performance is impressive and puts the Zulu in the upper range of quality binoculars. The image is bright and despite clearly visible CA quite sharp and rich in contrast. But flat-field enthusiasts and people sensitive to CA might not get happy with the Zulu.

The question raised by Matt about the Maven B2 got me thinking. The B2 also comes in the two configurations 9x45 and 11x45; their shape (apart form armour)  and weight is similar to the Zulus, their length is identical, and some of the specs, e.g. eye relief, field of view etc. are exactly the same. Are they in essence the same binos ?

fwiw
Pinac

Text excerpts regarding guarantee in the manual: “…will repair or replace … in the event it becomes damaged or defective, at no charge to you. … It doesn’t matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. … our Infinite Guarantee does not provide coverage for intentional damage, misuse, cosmetic damage that does not affect the performance of the optic, loss, theft or unauthorized repair or modification.”

Edited by Pinac, 08 May 2018 - 01:24 PM.

• Mad Matt, Rich V. and dries1 like this

#11 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:32 PM

Many thanks Pinac, you ROCK! 👍😁

Sounds like a binocular I would probably pass up on 😳

#12 dries1

dries1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:11 PM

Pinac,

Thanks for taking the time for the review. Not many 9X glass out there except as you stated the Maven. So the high cost is for the Warranty, which nowadays are not worth too much.

Perhaps a good name is the SigBorg 9X45, is it a keeper? 

Andy W.

#13 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:22 PM

Andy,

what do you mean by „SigBorg 9x45“?

#14 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

Andy,

what do you mean by „SigBorg 9x45“?

Star Trek NG reference?   wink.gif

Rich

• Pinac likes this

#15 dries1

dries1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:43 PM

Yes, one of those bots on Star Trek. Just having fun with the futuristic look on the glass.

Andy W.

• Pinac likes this

#16 rogan

rogan

Viking 1

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:09 PM

I hate to admit it but the styling of the Zulus, other than the SIG name (being a shooter and SIG owner) is what initially caught my attention. Sometimes aesthetics are in part what can attracts me, other times I have to overlook it. Case in point are my Leupold Mojave Pro Guide HD BX-3. I love the binoculars but besides the open bridge, which I prefer, they look like some Aztec artifact with the armor. I understand why the BX-4 toned that down a good bit.

Edited by rogan, 08 May 2018 - 05:10 PM.

• Pinac likes this

#17 dries1

dries1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:38 PM

Rogan

You are right the looks/presentation of the glass can and do bring one to look closer. I sure did on the Sig glass. Very perceptive and fitting, "Aztec artifact" on the Leupold,  there is a lot of detail in the camo design.

Andy W.

#18 Binomania.it

Binomania.it

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Italy

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:51 AM

Hi to all!
I'm happy to read  another review on this pair of binoculars!
I liked it. The price is a bit 'high for the brand but I've tried worse…
Regarding the chromatic aberration I've written this on binomania. 

1)Non riesce a superare il Kowa 10.5x44 : Kowa 10.5x44 has a better correction

2)Al centro del campo - nelle normali condizioni di illuminazione -  è praticamente assente. On Axis, during "clear" days i don't see C.A but ...

3) Osservando un falco pellegrino posato su un ramo in contro-luce, alle quattro di pomeriggio con cielo plumbeo ma luminoso, si percepisce un lieve alone viola-verde lungo il bordo delle immagini, leggermente superiore - per esemplificare- a quello visibile in un costoso Swarovski EL 12x50... Observing a peregrine falcon on a branch , at four o'clock in the afternoon with a leaden but bright sky, I see C.A. in this case a Swarovski 12x50 show better image.

So.. there is more  lateral chromatic aberration  and – on axis- is not similar to Swarovski, obviously... but it defends itself very well.

This is a comparison of  original photos taken out  with my smartphone. I only leaned aS7 galaxy on the eyepiece of the two binoculars.

Attached Thumbnails

• comparison.jpg

Edited by Binomania.it, 09 May 2018 - 11:38 AM.

#19 rogan

rogan

Viking 1

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:14 PM

For the record, the Zulu 3 10x30 box indicates that they are designed in Oregon and assembled in the Philippines. No matter, so far I’m really liking what I’m seeing. Really nice edge to edge resolution. Bright and crisp. Haven’t assessed CA yet.

#20 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 09 May 2018 - 03:10 PM

Piergiovanni (post #18),

thank you. I appreciate your review and the way you describe your assessment of CA.

I think my assessment is not massively different from yours, rather gradually.

We both seem to agree that the Kowa corrects CA better than the Zulu.

But where you find CA on-axis virtually non-existent, I think I see more of it than I would have expected.

But then we both seem to agree again - based on you reviewing the 11x and myself the 9x model - that SIG SAUER delivers with the Zulu 9 some quite impressive binoculars (as mentioned before, would be great to get further opinions also on the Maven B2 which some of us here suspect to be essentially the same instruments).

Edited by Pinac, 09 May 2018 - 03:11 PM.

#21 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 13 May 2018 - 01:02 AM

For the record, the Zulu 3 10x30 box indicates that they are designed in Oregon and assembled in the Philippines. No matter, so far I’m really liking what I’m seeing. Really nice edge to edge resolution. Bright and crisp. Haven’t assessed CA yet.

rogan,

Brief review from your side would be welcome !!

Pinac

#22 dries1

dries1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:24 AM

I am thinking that many manufacturers are providing the same glass, Sightron, Kenko, Fujinon in 8X32 and 10X32 and Now Sig Sauer in the Zulu 3 series. They are all assembled in the Phillipines. I have the KF 8X32 from Fujinon, nice glass but it is no Nikon SE 8X32.  

The format of the Zulu 9 (in all likelihood a higher level of optics than the Zulu 3 line) being the same format as the Maven, is interesting.  Would be nice to actually compare both as mentioned by Pinac.

Seems that we are being flooded with the same glass under different brand names.

Andy W.

#23 rogan

rogan

Viking 1

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:20 AM

rogan,
Brief review from your side would be welcome !!
Pinac

I will be doing just that later this afternoon. First I want to do a nose-to-nose with the only other 10x32 that I own, Vortex Diamondbacks.

#24 Pinewood

Pinewood

Apollo

• Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:32 PM

I am thinking that many manufacturers are providing the same glass, Sightron, Kenko, Fujinon in 8X32 and 10X32 and Now Sig Sauer in the Zulu 3 series. They are all assembled in the Phillipines. I have the KF 8X32 from Fujinon, nice glass but it is no Nikon SE 8X32.  

The format of the Zulu 9 (in all likelihood a higher level of optics than the Zulu 3 line) being the same format as the Maven, is interesting.  Would be nice to actually compare both as mentioned by Pinac.

Seems that we are being flooded with the same glass under different brand names.

Andy W.

Hello Andy,

This subject has been visited before, on this forum. There was a Vixen binocular which looked almost exactly like a Swift 8.5x44.  However, even if the binoculars have the same format and FOV, and even the same envelope, there may be differences in coatings and in other details.  I own a 6.5x32 Meopta Meopro, which is rather close to a 6.5x32 Vortex binocular.  If I recall, there was a difference in color balance. 

Clear skies,

Arthur Pinewood

#25 dries1

dries1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:10 PM

Yes Arthur, the coatings may be different on some and others with the same. I never knew that Meopta made a 6.5 X 32, interesting. 

Andy W.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics