•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon D3400 Live View Capture

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mralpaca

mralpaca

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New York

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

Hello!

I have a fairly basic setup but am hoping to continue to improve the quality of the images I am able to capture. I am using a Celestron 127 SLT with a Nikon D3400 and a 9mm focal length eyepiece from my rooftop in NYC. I am pretty impressed with what I am getting so far, but I know I should be able to capture higher quality stacked images, especially with a 10+ minute 1080p/60fps video and AutoStakkert!2. 

Does anyone have any advice for how to capture 1:1 pixel data / live view data from the camera? From what I have read, that might be a key I am missing to really boost my images.

I looked through the forums and have not found anything. 

Thank you for the help!

#2 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

To do true high-resolution planetary imaging, you really need 1:1 pixel resolution.

Unfortunately, 1080p video trashes that because it takes the 6000 original pixels on the sensor, and downsamples/decimates them to 1920 pixels.

You can theoretically get something closer to 1:1 with something like BackYardNikon, but Nikon slows the framing rate way down in Live View when zoomed in, and the jpeg compression of the live view makes them nearly unusable for high-resolution planetary work.

Sorry.

Jerry

#3 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Cosmos

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:09 PM

Re: planetary lucky imaging

AFAIK, Nikon DSLRs (the entire line) do not have the trick mode (e.g., central region 1:1 crop) feature 

<--- actually (again AFAIK) recent Canon DSLR also no longer have that feature any more

Re: Deep Sky Objects

- LiveView (in any form) is not the correct approach

- high frame rate HD video type of capture then stack is not the appropriate approach

BTW, D3400 is in the low-tier (a.k.a. teaser tier)  in the Nikon DSLR line-up, many advanced feature for AP are simply missing.

#4 mralpaca

mralpaca

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:01 PM

Really appreciate the help here. Unfortunately, it looks like I bought the wrong camera!

#5 mralpaca

mralpaca

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

I caved last night and bought the Neximage 5 by celestron. Bought on amazon, though so hopefully if I don't love it I can return it. I was thinking of getting a second hand T2i, but realize that the tiny FOV would still mean i would likely still need the laptop to control the camera without bumping the telescope too much. I will let you know how this works out!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics