•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Envis / PVS-14 objective 1.25" Filter holder. 3D Printable.

NV
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 moshen

moshen

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:46 PM

I'm heading out to a camping trip tomorrow and wanted to try another way of swapping filters. The Eddgie designed RafCamera filter adapters are nice because it's secure and allows the use of 3x afocal, but for group sharing and using just 1x I wanted to swap filters quickly without all the threading/unthreading.

The design is completely parameterized and you can build your own custom adapter by changing any of the parameters. Then print yourself or send to a hub near you on 3dhubs.com.

The push fit is very secure and the inner splines are made to mate perfectly with the PVS-14 / Envis objective. The filter is threadable into the front.

The pictured storage box with two partitions for two filters is included as well.

Download here:

https://www.thingive...m/thing:2904978

Source code is there, it can be copy and pasted to build a completely new adapter for other use cases. Made thicker and longer and with a printed nylon compression ring and nylon compression screw it can be solidly secure for heavier attachments. I'll give examples when I have more time.

The CAD for this was done in 15 minutes and the first prototype printed in 13 minutes. So from opening OpenSCAD to having first version in hand was less than 30 minutes. We live in cool times. cool.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF5469 (1).jpg
  • DSCF5470 (2).jpg
  • DSCF5471 (2).jpg
  • DSCF5472 (2).jpg
  • DSCF5473.jpg

Edited by moshen, 10 May 2018 - 09:27 PM.

• GeezerGazer, Starman81, nicknacknock and 2 others like this

#2 moshen

moshen

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:53 PM

I designed one for 2" filters too but haven't had a chance to print this one yet.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2018-05-10 16.59.42.png

• nicknacknock and alanjgreen like this

#3 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:11 PM

I'll use your own words, "We live in cool times," and that is cool, very convenient. I haven't made the 3D leap yet, but like many, have thought about it.

Do you know if most simple printers will do this, as in just get the Thing Files and plug them in and let it go? Or if this would take a particular printer with a particular type of plastic? 

That looks very simple and effective, will make it a lot more fun to quickly swap and compare filters. Excellent. We do live in cool times. Gotta check that 3dhubs.com out.

#4 moshen

moshen

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:38 PM

I'll use your own words, "We live in cool times," and that is cool, very convenient. I haven't made the 3D leap yet, but like many, have thought about it.

Do you know if most simple printers will do this, as in just get the Thing Files and plug them in and let it go? Or if this would take a particular printer with a particular type of plastic? 

That looks very simple and effective, will make it a lot more fun to quickly swap and compare filters. Excellent. We do live in cool times. Gotta check that 3dhubs.com out.

This is an extremely simple print so any decent printer will do this. So it is literally just download & print. The reason why its parameterized with values you can change on the Thingiverse object page is so you can tweak dimensions for fit. Or maybe you want it thicker, or longer, etc.  I use PLA (Polyactic Acid - thermoplastic polymer a standard filament for 3D printing) for this part because there are no special mechanical or strength requirements, but there are a lot of other types of materials that can be easily printed with  be extremely strong, high temp resistant, etc.

I have a customized home built printer, but if you make the jump I can gladly give recommendations on how to start that's not a lot of $ and have the same capability. Having the ability to go from a thought in your head to CAD to holding an object is like a superpower and the beauty is not in printing what you can buy but in designing or printing what you can't.

The only other tool that comes close is having your own CNC. And I have a few friends with huge lathes and CNC equipment and the 3D printer has complimented those tools and made the dirty & messy work of working with metals and machining happen much less and only when necessary.

Edited by moshen, 10 May 2018 - 11:51 PM.

• outofsight likes this

#5 GeezerGazer

GeezerGazer

Viking 1

• Loc: Modesto, CA

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:59 AM

So COOL!  Your "thought" is a splendid idea for 1x observing... when swapping filters, IR to H-a.  And, so thoughtful of you to share.  Thank you!

• moshen likes this

#6 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:30 AM

Very nice bit of SCAD work...
PEter
  • moshen likes this

#7 outofsight

outofsight

Apollo

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

This is an extremely simple print so any decent printer will do this. So it is literally just download & print. The reason why its parameterized with values you can change on the Thingiverse object page is so you can tweak dimensions for fit. Or maybe you want it thicker, or longer, etc.  I use PLA (Polyactic Acid - thermoplastic polymer a standard filament for 3D printing) for this part because there are no special mechanical or strength requirements, but there are a lot of other types of materials that can be easily printed with  be extremely strong, high temp resistant, etc.

I have a customized home built printer, but if you make the jump I can gladly give recommendations on how to start that's not a lot of $ and have the same capability. Having the ability to go from a thought in your head to CAD to holding an object is like a superpower and the beauty is not in printing what you can buy but in designing or printing what you can't.

The only other tool that comes close is having your own CNC. And I have a few friends with huge lathes and CNC equipment and the 3D printer has complimented those tools and made the dirty & messy work of working with metals and machining happen much less and only when necessary.

Alright Moshen, if I decide to get a 3D printer, maybe this summer, I will pick your brain on one. I figured these prints would be good without just about any printer, but it's nice to know for sure. It sure would be nice to be able to print a little gadget when necessary. I don't take very good care of my filters and something just this simple would greatly aid in changing them and protecting them when I want to go out and quickly compare a few things. Practical, simple, solutions are cool, especially, like in this case, when you consider the cost of some filters, or whatever you might like to enhance with a simple print. 

CNCs and such are totally cool, I'm also going to look at 3dhubs.com and see what's going on with that, it looks like a good resource. All of this stuff is fun.

#8 moshen

moshen

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:52 AM

UPDATE: The design is updated with threads so 1.25" filters can thread into the adapter. I printed at 0.120mm layer height and the printed threads work great. This is an improvement over the previous design where the filter was friction fit into the adapter.

https://www.thingive...m/thing:2904978

I can generate a 2" filter version with appropriate threads as well if someone wants it, but I don't have a 2" filter at this point to test with.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2019-01-24 23.52.28.png

• pwang99, DannyBoy2k, cmooney91 and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics