•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The sturdy thing

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#26 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

I could fix that focusser, and to where it would be smooth as silk and a joy like no other.  I'd take the axes apart, too, and replace the "lubrication".  But at the heart of the kit, and at which most of the outlay lies...

60mm f15 Tanzutsu achromatic doublet3.jpg

...the achromatic-doublet, of good ol' reliable crown and flint glasses.  Pass me a glass of wine, and the cheese plate while you're at it.

It's not possible to get that 4" f/6.5 achromat as an OTA; only the 4" f/10...and the 80mm f/5 achromats...faint.gif .  Used, yes, but you'd never know if it was sold due to its optical quality, or rather the lack thereof.  Hopefully this one, now making its merry way across land and sea, will be well-figured.  The greater bulk of the cost of the kit goes towards the refractor, the doublet.  Everything else is thrown, tossed, into the bargain.

It's the refractor we're after(at 2:40)...

https://www.youtube....h?v=mh-QR_qi5JU

Edited by Sky Muse, 16 May 2018 - 06:02 PM.

#27 tony_spina

tony_spina

Surveyor 1

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:12 PM

If you don't have some around the house order 6 - 12" Velcro straps. Rap 2 straps on each leg to help brace the legs. This will remove a good amount of the flex from the tripod legs especially if you extend the legs up

#28 organge

organge

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: London, UK

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:42 PM

Great tip Tony!

Potentially if the mount is non-viable what kind of a full deal apart from wooden tripod legs tweak should I be looking at? Jon?

#29 tony_spina

tony_spina

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:09 PM

The other thing you can do is add rings and a dovetail bar.  This will help in getting better balance especially if you go with 2" diagonal and/or heavy eyepieces 

IMG_3698-5.jpg

As you can see I did some major mods.  I added a 2-speed focuser from an SW120 and added a 50mm finder along with 2" diagonal 

Edited by tony_spina, 16 May 2018 - 07:11 PM.

• Sky Muse and organge like this

#30 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:29 PM

The other thing you can do is add rings and a dovetail bar.  This will help in getting better balance especially if you go with 2" diagonal and/or heavy eyepieces 

As you can see I did some major mods.  I added a 2-speed focuser from an SW120 and added a 50mm finder along with 2" diagonal 

The original focusser of that 4" had a drawtube that could accept a 2" visual back, from what I had read in the past, but 2" oculars would not come to focus.  It's good to see that it can be done with another focusser.

#31 bvillebob

bvillebob

Viking 1

• Loc: Eugene, Oregon

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:26 PM

Just be sure you understand that a small f/6.5 achromat will work fine for wide angle deep sky views, but will be severely limited for looking at the planets and the moon due to its short focal length and chromatic aberration.  The problem of course is that an 80mm refractor doesn't have enough aperture to really show you much in the way of DSO's, and the short achromat won't be much for planets, so it's of limited long term use.  An f/10 or f/11 achromat would give much better high power views, or an ED scope in shorter focal length.

#32 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:50 AM

Just be sure you understand that a small f/6.5 achromat will work fine for wide angle deep sky views, but will be severely limited for looking at the planets and the moon due to its short focal length and chromatic aberration.  The problem of course is that an 80mm refractor doesn't have enough aperture to really show you much in the way of DSO's, and the short achromat won't be much for planets, so it's of limited long term use.  An f/10 or f/11 achromat would give much better high power views, or an ED scope in shorter focal length.

The achromat in question is a 102mm, a medium-sized refractor.  Serious observations of the planets will be difficult if not impossible to come by, granted, but views of the Moon should be satisfactory.  At a dark site, for a refractor 4" is considerable, and for the brighter and brightest deep-sky objects at least.  During the day, the telescope can be used terrestrially with an Amici; and for solar observations even, with a safe white-light filter.  Quite the contrary, it has a great deal of potential, and for years to come, if not decades.  

• Jon Isaacs and organge like this

#33 organge

organge

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:05 PM

Today I received the scope and picked up three eyepieces along with Barlow lens - unfortunately the vendor forgot to send new prism along with the scope and that will arrive Monday. Just had a quick peek at the moon earlier and it is beautiful. The scope itself looks well built and the mount/tripod is sturdy enough. It settles quickly after 2-3s.

I have an issue though with slow motion control. The azimut works flawlessly but the altitude will only move up. You can get a glimpse of downward movement but after a second turn it slips. Any ideas?

Edited by organge, 18 May 2018 - 06:05 PM.

#34 organge

organge

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

Jupiter came to view to my balcony. It's bright! I have L shape balcony facing southwest and northwest. The planet is beautiful. I was able to see the bands and the moons. The planet looks great in both 8mm and 5mm eyepieces and stock diagonal. I hopped to a few stars as well. Just beautiful. Woke up the wife ( she didn't mind ) and showed her. She was astonished as well.

I am very happy with the telescope. Mount is sturdy enough for now but I certainly see the room for improvement. First on the list is the focuser. One knob actually unscrewed itself already. So I will need recommendations for a good focuser and further discussion on mount possibilities. I already mentioned the altitude slip issue downward and have to figure out what to do about that but overall, very, very happy. The whole telescope I can easily handle with one hand. Very light-weight.

Tomorrow forecast is bright night sky so I will be heading to the roof hoping to catch M13.

• Sky Muse likes this

#35 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:40 PM

Sounds like you got a good one there; congratulations.

You should be able to adjust the axis to where it won't slip.  It may require some disassembling; check it out.  A knob loosening and perhaps falling off can be fixed, too.  Don't give up on the focusser just yet.  There are ways to improve those as well.  Take it all apart, and fix everything.  That's what I'd do.  If I had that kit here I'd have it tuned in no time.  You can do it, too.  Enjoy it.   

#36 organge

organge

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:29 PM

Sky Muse : will take a look tomorrow what can be done. The thing is that when there is no scope on the mount the slow motion controls kind of work but as soon as I mount the OTA there are issues.

I just came from the roof of our building ( we have a nice communal area there ). I did a long session with Jupiter and oh boy it's beautiful. Very bright. Unfortunately I couldn't pinpoint M13. I could see the "trapezoid" and hunted M13 from Vega but just couldn't see it today. The stars at that part of the sky were also very faint. Let's just blame it on seeing conditions today smile.gif ( let's ignore the total newbiness ) Hope next weekend the weather will permit me to go to some nice darker place.

I was playing with barlow and eyepieces. Jupiter is okish even with 5mm and 2x barlow. I was pleasantly surprised. Can't even imagine how it would look through better optics. I see 80mm of many pounds in my future ( already put up one of my watches up for auction on ebay - wife thing .... sell one of the watches and buy whatever you want - well ok then ).

A little photo for the end. Find Jupiter!

scopeandjupiter.jpg

Edited by organge, 19 May 2018 - 07:32 PM.

• Sky Muse likes this

#37 tony_spina

tony_spina

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:59 PM

That great! In no time you will be a pro at this

#38 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:57 PM

Sky Muse : will take a look tomorrow what can be done. The thing is that when there is no scope on the mount the slow motion controls kind of work but as soon as I mount the OTA there are issues.

I just came from the roof of our building ( we have a nice communal area there ). I did a long session with Jupiter and oh boy it's beautiful. Very bright. Unfortunately I couldn't pinpoint M13. I could see the "trapezoid" and hunted M13 from Vega but just couldn't see it today. The stars at that part of the sky were also very faint. Let's just blame it on seeing conditions today smile.gif ( let's ignore the total newbiness ) Hope next weekend the weather will permit me to go to some nice darker place.

I was playing with barlow and eyepieces. Jupiter is okish even with 5mm and 2x barlow. I was pleasantly surprised. Can't even imagine how it would look through better optics. I see 80mm of many pounds in my future ( already put up one of my watches up for auction on ebay - wife thing .... sell one of the watches and buy whatever you want - well ok then ).

You can certainly consider an 80mm ED doublet in future; a triplet if you expect to take pictures, but those cost much more.  However, I don't see the hurry, given your report on this one.  

Note that both axes of the mount, the altitude and azimuth, have plastic covers over them.  There are things to explore under those, given your issues.  Perhaps a trip to your local hardware, then to replace or add this and that. whistling.gif

Perhaps there are some set-screws on the outside that can be adjusted.

However, I don't have one of those before me, so I can't really push it.

#39 organge

organge

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2018 - 03:54 PM

Hi all!

Had a nice view of Saturn the other day from my light polluted balcony. The bug is here and I just went and ordered Berlebach Report 322 Tripod and AYO VAMO Traveler mount.

Now I am in the hunt for the new telescope. I decided on 80mm for ease of use and portability.

The options are :

- Sky-Watcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro Outfit

- Explore Scientific Triplet ED APO 80mm f/6 Refractor Telescope Alu Essential

- Vixen SD81S Apochromatic ED Refractor

- Altair Astro Starwave 80ED-R ED Doublet Refractor Telescope

Obviously price has weight in my decision and Sky-Watcher seems to be "plug-in" solution for me but I really like ES triplet for size. Out of these Altair Astro by the looks of it has the most capable focuser but I would need community (CN) confirmation for that?

Other options apart from the above four welcome of course.

#40 vtornado

vtornado

Apollo

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:56 PM

Hi,  unless you plan on taking pictures, and spending another grand on a mount,

I would stick with an ED doublet refractor.  Doublets cool quicker than a triplet,

are lighter which means they are easier on the mount, and I have heard they

are more rugged than a triplet, because the alignment of the doublet lenses is not

as critical as in a triplet.  

I had a celestron 80mm ED doublet f/7.5 refractor, and it was a great scope.

I traded it for an orion 100mm f/9 ed doublet, which was a little more capable.

I live in light pollution and the idea of a wider field instrument for sweeping,

does not make sense for me.

#41 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:09 PM

I have tweeked my 102 and find it to be a fine scope.,The mount is the weak spot.,and the short rail needs to be moved closer to the focuser in order for it to balance with anything heavy on the eyepiece end.,
I use William Optics correct image prism diagonal that has a helical focuser which is very nice.,
I use ES eyepieces in it and it does very well for low&medium power viewing.,

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171118_124319(1).jpg

Edited by clearwaterdave, 07 August 2018 - 06:12 PM.

• vtornado likes this

#42 organge

organge

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:55 PM

Hey guys,

decided on Altair Astro Starwave 80ED-R which I picked up yesterday along with Baadar diagonal and a finder scope. I am waiting for Ayo VAMO Traveler mount which should be here tomorrow. I already received Berlebach Report 312 tripod last week and the tripod looks very well made and sturdy. I miscalculated though and it's too long when folded for me to bring it to trips so I have to get some other. Thinking of Manfrotto 055 Carbon or Benro TMA28 or just get another Berlebach that is shorter.

Here is a photo. The whole thing (scope+finder scope+diagonal+eyepiece) has a mass of 4,4kg. When I add the mount it will be 5,7kg.

80ed.jpeg

Edited by organge, 12 August 2018 - 01:56 PM.

#43 organge

organge

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:55 PM

Quick session with the moon. Very relaxing...sitting down and observing. The most impressive view for me personally was through the 25mm Plossl that came with Celestron Omni 102xlt az.

I am slowly putting together the grab and go I wanted from the beginning. In no time at all I went from zero to two telescopes, a bunch of diagonals, tripods and other accessories.

What I am now settling for is Starwave 80ED-R, Takahashi 1.25" prism ( Baader diagonal is just too heavy ), VAMO Traveler mount and tripod is yet to be seen what it'll be. For a finder I settled on Rigel that I received today. I ordered Manfrotto 055 for travel and have Berlebach Report 322 for now. Eyepieces are Paradigms under different name ( BST ) 5,8 and 18mm and 25mm Plossl mentioned earlier. On Saturday I am picking up Baader Morpheus 4.5 and 14 hopefully ( returning Baader diagonal and 50mm finder scope ). I have to decide on wide 24mm to get the nice and even wider view than with 25mm Plossl. This is now becoming my obsession smile.gif and the budget went up considerably. Even from the polluted London sky and only from my balcony in a few months or so and in clear days I enjoyed great views of Moon, Jupiter, Saturn and with Plossl I just hopped around the sky. Next week I am off on holiday for two weeks which will include places of Bortle 2-4 sky. Here I come!

scope1.jpeg

scope2.jpeg

Iphone 8 Plus shot through eyepiece!

moon.jpeg

Edited by organge, 16 August 2018 - 05:38 PM.

• Sky Muse likes this

#44 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:34 PM

At f/7, yet with a 555mm focal-length, you might want a 2x, or even a 3x, barlow to max the aperture out in power, for the Moon, the planets and the double-stars.  150x and higher shouldn't be a problem, given a cooperative atmosphere; let's see what it would take...

555mm รท 150x = a 3.7mm eyepiece

You could get a 4mm(139x), which contains barlowing elements, like the ones you have presently, and that enable a larger eye-lens through which to observe, along with improved eye-relief...

https://www.365astro...grees-1.25.html

...or even a 3.2mm(173x), and for those nights of very good seeing conditions...

https://www.365astro...D-Eyepiece.html

It is known that refractors, if the objective there at the front is well-figured, can surpass the general 50x-per-25.4mm "rule", which would be 158x for an 80mm aperture; so feel free to ramp up the power.  There are some refractors out there that can produce 100x-per-25.4mm, twice the general norm, and with little to no loss of sharpness.  When you take the refractor out under darker skies, you can conduct a star-test, and with your 5mm or 8mm eyepieces, which will also help reveal the quality of the doublet.  The sooner it's tested, the better, as you don't want to find out later if there's a problem.  This is true for all telescopes acquired, and of either lenses or mirrors.   

#45 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:24 PM

Hey guys,

decided on Altair Astro Starwave 80ED-R which I picked up yesterday along with Baadar diagonal and a finder scope. I am waiting for Ayo VAMO Traveler mount which should be here tomorrow. I already received Berlebach Report 312 tripod last week and the tripod looks very well made and sturdy. I miscalculated though and it's too long when folded for me to bring it to trips so I have to get some other. Thinking of Manfrotto 055 Carbon or Benro TMA28 or just get another Berlebach that is shorter.

Here is a photo. The whole thing (scope+finder scope+diagonal+eyepiece) has a mass of 4,4kg. When I add the mount it will be 5,7kg.

attachicon.gif 80ed.jpeg

Very nice.

Each of us has a different definition of "grab'n'go".

Mine is a 4" apo on an Alt-Az mount and weighs close to 18-1/2 kg.

Your scope is pretty much a "one-hand" lift.  Good show.

#46 organge

organge

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2018 - 04:38 PM

Manfrotto arrived yesterday and while it is pretty to look at it just isn't sturdy enough. I measured the damping times. Berlebach did it in 0.6s and Manfrotto in 1.7s - simple tap on the telescope. I did this 10x each for result to be a little more relevant. So I packed Manfrotto and Hermes will be picking it up on Monday for return.

Today I was in local astro shop and saw Vixen tripod in the showroom with telescope on it. The mount on it was heavier than mine and by the feel it felt very stable. Bought it and I just tested it now with the telescope mounted and the same tap on the scope. I was very surprised since the damping times are actually not measurable. It is instant. I was very surprised that it works even better than Berlebach with my setup. The tripod actually has exactly the same mass as Berlebach and it folds to 60cm - just perfect. The tripod is Vixen APP-TL130. I think I found the perfect companion for my travels and home obesrvations as well!

Along with the tropod I also got some eyepieces. Vixen NPL 25mm ( I was amazed at the sight of the moon the other day with Celestron 25mm Plossl ), Baader Morpheus 14mm and Vixen SSW 3.5mm.

I finally found my sturdy scope!

#47 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Mercury-Atlas

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:57 PM

Good for you!!! I'm happy when I can focus at high power without the image dancing around.,

My pipes make this possible.,

That looks like great set up.,enjoy.

#48 organge

organge

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:19 PM

For a few minutes the sky cleared and I spotted Jupiter - and the scope was out in a minute! Very sturdy, very smooth. I didn't yet install Rigel QuickFinder ( have to figure out where and how ) so I just put in 14mm Baader Morpheus ( looks like a weapon ) and found it quickly. It was time to turn the screws so that VAMO is set and put in 3.5mm Vixen SSW and WOWWOW! 4 bands cleary visible. I was not expecting this since it was not fully dark and the sky, well...London. I am very happy camper and can't wait for the weekend and clear Bortle 2-4 skies.

I currently have 7 eyepieces and am looking for some recommendations.

5mm BST Explorer

8mm BST Explorer

18mm BST Explorer ... these three are the same as Paradigm ED

25mm Celestron Plossl that came with Celestron Omni 102xlt (f/6.5)

25mm Vixen NPL

14mm Baader Morpheus

3.5mm Vixen SSW

I really, really liked Luna with 25mm Plossl so I bought the Vixen one hoping it will provide sharper views - not that I know how sharper it can get. In pursuit of happiness I also bought 14mm Morpheus since I calculated it will provide similar ratio of moon and view behind as 25mm Plossl but slightly bigger.

What else is there?

Edit: I posted this question and did a little review in Eyepieces forum : https://www.cloudyni...-little-review/

Edited by organge, 20 August 2018 - 04:51 PM.

#49 organge

organge

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2018 - 02:42 PM

A little update. Came from holidays but unfortunately I didn't bring the scope with me. It proved to be too big to take with us. Baby, lots of luggage, etc. What I did was I bought Skywatcher AZ3 90/900 along with a few Skywatcher planetary eyepieces and moon filter when we landed and it provided me with great views. AZ3 mount is surprisingly good for the price once you get it how to use it. Left it there for next year with the family. Nieces were quite interested and were ecstatic with Saturn views. I kind of just gave the scope to them. We'll see what they do with it.

Now I am back to square one on my balcony. Just came in from a quick Moon and Jupiter view from between the clouds with Celestron 102 6.5.

I sold Starwave 80ed just today and selling most of other equipment as well including the 'big' Celestron (probably? - read below ).

Even though I like Ayo VAMO I am selling that as well and getting Skywatcher AZ GTI WiFi.

What is interesting though is that I just realised that Celestron achro has removable part on the cap making the scope around 55mm with long f. I tested it on the moon and absolutely no purplish glow around the moon. Pointed at Jupiter as well and while bright enough the seeing just wasn't there any more. Will need to test this more. If the views of the planets are okish through 55mm I am getting Takahashi FS60 down the road. In the meanwhile I am hunting now for 4" Mak to put on AZ GTI WIFI. I might just keep Celestron and update the focuser and switch cap on and off to get views without false colour and CA and when I go out to some darker site around here I can use it for wide views of space as well. We'll see.

During these last few months I learned quite a bit. Spent way, way more than first intended but I get so much from these 15 minute sessions on the balcony that I am now willing to go even further and test just about anything available to see what will work best for me. Dobsons and Newtonian tubes are out but Mak and some other refractors are still in the game.

Oh....I switched between Baader T2 diagonal, diagonal that came with the scope and Takahashi prism and I could notice how Takahashi prism trumps them all. I feel that this one piece of equipment will stay with me whichever scope and other gear I end up with. Huge thumbs up for puny looking prism from Takahashi ;) Don't judge the book by its cover for this one...

#50 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 September 2018 - 10:51 PM

If you made your own aperture-stop, which is very easy to do, you could make it up to 70mm, and for a focal-ratio of f/9.4, which would also exhibit minimal false-colour.

...or, an 80mm f/8.3.

Edited by Sky Muse, 16 September 2018 - 10:53 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics