•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dwarf Planet Makemake

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rehling

rehling

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:24 PM

While the majestic planets are languishing deep in the bad seeing of poor altitude for us in the Northern Hemisphere, the dwarf planets Haumea and Makemake are up at excellent altitude. This week, I've made a few attempts to image them and my main challenge is getting the precise pointing to capture them in-frame. However, I succeeded in photographing Makemake twice, allowing for this blink GIF.

The images were captured from my white zone in San Francisco on May 11 and May 14 with a Celestron 9.25" SCT and an ASI-1600mm using 10-second exposures; due to clouds, the second image used only about 15 useful frames vs. 50 for the first one.

With luck, I should get Haumea in the same fashion soon. As a very easy mnemonic for whether these objects are in view or not, they are relatively close to Arcturus, for the next few decades, anyway.

SSO Makemake Anim 20180514.gif

• Deep13, Sunspot, Achernar and 15 others like this

#2 kbev

kbev

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:11 AM

Nice capture!  I guess this is going to be the next challenge after capturing Pluto a couple of years ago :)

#3 rehling

rehling

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:02 AM

Yes, it's three magnitudes dimmer than Pluto, but the same idea. Haumea is very similar in magnitude and fairly close in the sky now, by coincidence. It was just by luck that I missed Haumea in my FOV the first night. I should simply take four images offset from the same center and double my chances of success.

Going off topic, the Twin Quasar is very similar in brightness to Makemake and Haumea, so I made an evening off of imaging all three and didn't think about changing gear or even camera parameters.

• kbev likes this

#4 kbev

kbev

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:24 AM

Going off topic, the Twin Quasar is very similar in brightness to Makemake and Haumea, so I made an evening off of imaging all three and didn't think about changing gear or even camera parameters.

I had intended to try the Twin Quasar last year but never got around to it, but since it's at a decent altitude early in the evening I think I'll give it a next weekend along with the other two.

#5 rehling

rehling

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:57 AM

I captured the Twin Quasar with my 6se last summer and resolved the pair with a one-hour set of short exposures. I tried it with the 9.25" and only about 10 minutes exposure, and I captured the pair but did not split them. When/if I get a clear night soon, I'll try for two hours and expect that will do well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics