•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Chroma /Astrodon filters and rumors

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gunny01

gunny01

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:44 PM

I spoke with a representative of Chroma filters regarding a problem with my ad lum filter and flats.  Very helpful so I thought that I would try to end all of the rumors about their connection with the astrodon line.

They do not make any of the ad filters as of today and have not manufactured them for a number of years.  I now know for sure that my filters from Don were not made by Chroma.   I have been back in the hobby since early 2015.  

If you are interested in a different USA made filter manufacturer, then you might want to look at and speak to the folks at Chroma.  They were very gracious. I just don't think it is fair to Chroma or Don/Farpoint to let the rumors float around here on CN.

• psandelle and dhaval like this

#2 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

Thanks Gunny. I will admit, I did make a couple of posts in the last week or so indicating that Chroma either is, or may have in the past, manufactured AD filters (information that I received from having read another post on CN - it obviously was dated information).

Thanks for clarifying - it does seem like they used to a long time ago, but not anymore.

#3 gunny01

gunny01

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:21 PM

Not a problem Dhaval, the rumor has been floating around for a long time.  I was curious and thought that I would ask the question and end the controversy.

Your images with the big 17" and 16803 are beautiful and inspiring.  I always look forward to them.

• dhaval likes this

#4 FiremanDan

FiremanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:41 PM

I was wondering this.
Good to know!

I need to sort out how to fund getting Chroma’s.

#5 pbunn

pbunn

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Spartanburg, SC

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:33 PM

Story that I hear from a very reputable source is that Astrodon has zero stock and won't have stock until July. That is the main reason they aren't replacing anything returned - they don't have stock.

Not communicating doesn't seem too smart though.

I picked up a used 3 nm Olll 50 mm so all that I need now is a Sll 50 mm that is on order with Astrodon. I have been told not to expect it until July at the earliest.

• FiremanDan likes this

#6 FiremanDan

FiremanDan

Aurora

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:41 PM

I finally got an email from someone asking if I had sent them an Ha filter. I replied in the affirmative and inquired about when I'd get a replacement filter. I haven't heard anything else. It's been 3 days. 

It'll be a cold day in hell before I give those people any of my money again. 

#7 pbunn

pbunn

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Spartanburg, SC

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:36 PM

I received a shipping notice from Astrodon this afternoon. My Sll 5 nm 50 mm filter shipped today.

Hopefully, that completes my filter requirements for a while.

#8 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:13 AM

I'd never heard of that brand until now. Are these Chroma filters on a par with Lumicon and Astronomik?

#9 FiremanDan

FiremanDan

Aurora

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

I'd never heard of that brand until now. Are these Chroma filters on a par with Lumicon and Astronomik?

It would seem Chroma are more on par with Astrodon. They make filters for other types of scientific imaging/viewing as well. 

#10 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

It would seem Chroma are more on par with Astrodon. They make filters for other types of scientific imaging/viewing as well. 

thanx.gif

• FiremanDan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics