•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

John Dobson said...

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:18 PM

More add...…

He disliked the name Dobsonian, preferring to call the mount a "Cannon Mount."

Alex

• Dave Mitsky and Adun like this

#27 jtsenghas

jtsenghas

Gemini

• Loc: The flatlands of Northwest Ohio --Bloomdale

Posted 02 July 2018 - 10:27 AM

More add...…

He disliked the name Dobsonian, preferring to call the mount a "Cannon Mount."

Alex

On one of the videos of him he was asked about how he felt about the widespread use of his mount.  He quipped that his design had even been used on Revolutionary War cannon!

• Dave Mitsky, davidmcgo and Augustus like this

#28 tony_spina

tony_spina

Surveyor 1

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:58 PM

I have had the great opportunity to meet and talk to both John Dobson and Al Nagler at RTMC over the years.

I feel very honored.  John RIP and Al may you have a very long and healthy life

• Dave Mitsky and Augustus like this

#29 EJN

EJN

Skylab

• Loc: Between what is and what's not there

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:53 PM

If you want to sell telescopes.......the "less fortunate" can afford Dobsonians. (best bang for the buck) However, can they afford the EP's to go with it? John made scopes cheap, and his buddy Al made EP's expensive. I can almost guarantee John  D. owns plenty of TV stock. There are no heroes. Though sometimes businessmen make everyone happy 

That is possibly the most ignorant post made in the history of CloudyNights.

• Dave Mitsky, Greyhaven, paul and 4 others like this

#30 leonard

leonard

Apollo

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:30 AM

Hello 

From Wikipedia heading : Vedanta

Teacher ( I believe may be the correct term ) Ramaniya states that God like man, has both soul and body , and

the world of matter is the glory of Gods body.

This I believe was a large part of what motivated Mr. Dobson.

The world needs many more men like John Dobson.

Leonard

• xvariablestarx, flt158 and Augustus like this

#31 Freezout

Freezout

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Europe, Bortle 4 zone, altitude 11 meters

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:02 AM

That is possibly the most ignorant post made in the history of CloudyNights.

Yes. Please have mercy... John Dobson would have probably demonstrate some forgiveness. I think the unfortunate poster in cause understood how far he/she was from the reality and will next time at least read the Wikipedia page of the person concerned in the topic.

Edited by Freezout, 08 August 2018 - 05:02 AM.

#32 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Soyuz

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:56 PM

John Dobson would often tell how much he enjoyed catching a nap in a sona tube during a break in construction of one of his scopes. Thanks John for keeping it real.

Grey

• Augustus and Adun like this

#33 Tanglebones

Tanglebones

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON, Canada

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:09 AM

I've finally tracked the source of this quote:

It's from this video, at 8m27s (the link goes straight to that part)

It's very inspiring.

Adun, I just discovered this thread now and feel I have to comment.  I was aware of who John Dobson was, of course, and knew of his monastic background and sheer passion for outreach.  However, your link was the first time I could listen to him speak and watch that passion with my own eyes.  Thank you for posting that, it speaks to me at a fundamental level and encapsulates feelings in me that were only hazily defined before this.  

When one starts down this astronomical road, all possibilities lie open - visual/imaging, goto/manual, refractor/reflector, home observatory/set up in the driveway.  We navigate through a series of choices, honed by existing interests, and lured by the promise of tantalizing new ones.  Sometimes, though, it takes some time before we get a better understanding of what makes us tick with all this.

The linked video puts into words feelings I've had in me for a while now - that, for me, outreach is my main interest.  Who knew?  I'm an introvert. While not excessively socially awkward, I'm an only child and quite content to exist in my own world for as long as needed - whether it be days, weeks, months or years, as circumstances dictate.  But...put a telescope and a crowd of people who have never looked through one in front of me...and I transform.  I think a large part of it is the joy of giving.  Taking pleasure in seeing that wonder and delight in others, as their eyes look on something new.  Not pleasure directed inward, as in "I'm such a good person for doing this", but directed outward - happy for them.  And I very much agree with Mr. Dobson's sentiment that we have a responsibility to show 'the less fortunate' (his words) the true nature of the universe around us all.  

I am seriously not knocking any other way of doing this astronomy lark - to each their own.  For me, though, it took several years before I really grokked that outreach was what makes me happiest with all this.  Thanks for sharing that link.

- Stu

PS - while I understood it intellectually prior to this, his comments about the little bubble of daylight we live inside really struck home with me.

#34 dongallo

dongallo

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:31 PM

I enjoy the documented instances of John Dobson's dry wit and humility.

Another of his quotes I enjoyed regarding mirror making was "If you drop a mirror, be sure to do it early." 

I have met John on more than one occasion, even ground a mirror under his instruction. He had a great sense of humor and a pleasure to talk to. He was one of a kind and has inspired me to show the universe to others.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics