•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Burgess Optical - New Eyepieces Soon

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#26 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:18 AM

Given the number of alternatives where people actually do business and payment is exchanged for goods, I'm surprised anyone does business with this guy anywhere, any time, for any reason.  Nearest explanation I have is that he's a good guy to talk to and shootin' the breeze is part of what makes the hobby fun.  For some.  GN

• Paul G, leonard, BillShort and 2 others like this

#27 emilslomi

emilslomi

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Alps

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:07 PM

Ordered some bits and pieces about two years ago. Had them delivered as fast as from any other place I have ordered from. I would/will order again if Burgess offers something interesting.

Cheers, Emil
  • Andy Howie, eklf and The Luckster like this

#28 leonard

leonard

Apollo

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:39 PM

There’s a sucker born every minute , sounds like a working business model to me !

• Paul G likes this

#29 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:08 PM

The only vendor/importer I know to have fostered an anti-group.  It was on Yahoo.  I haven't visited in a long time because I couldn't figure out why the people that were pro- were so invested in something that wasn't happening and I couldn't figure out why the people who were anti- hadn't moved on to some other product line.  

• Sarkikos and nicoledoula like this

#30 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:05 PM

I'd love to learn more about that Paragon II 30mm. Just like the old Paragon design or something really new?

#31 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:28 AM

I'd love to learn more about that Paragon II 30mm. Just like the old Paragon design or something really new?

Prob another lucid dream....

Edited by Miranda2525, 19 May 2018 - 10:29 AM.

#32 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:10 PM

Ahhh.  I remember those eyepieces, the monocentrics.  Not a Tom Back design.  Will be interesting to read some reports from folks that get them.  As far as the anti-Burgess attitudes, as far as I'm concerned any new announcement from any vendor is suspect.  Not until there are some field tests can anything be counted on, regardless of the vendor.  On the whole, I've been satisfied with what I've gotten from Burgess about as much as any other vendor, so never bought into all the anti-hub-bub chatter from the hate folks.  Hate talk is just meaningless chatter from over-emotional folks that I largely ignore.

Edited by BillP, 19 May 2018 - 01:12 PM.

• Andy Howie, eklf, dpastern and 2 others like this

#33 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:48 PM

Ahhh.  I remember those eyepieces, the monocentrics.  Not a Tom Back design.  Will be interesting to read some reports from folks that get them.  As far as the anti-Burgess attitudes, as far as I'm concerned any new announcement from any vendor is suspect.  Not until there are some field tests can anything be counted on, regardless of the vendor.  On the whole, I've been satisfied with what I've gotten from Burgess about as much as any other vendor, so never bought into all the anti-hub-bub chatter from the hate folks.  Hate talk is just meaningless chatter from over-emotional folks that I largely ignore.

Sorry, there is no "hate talk" here, just real people with real past experiences. Let's try not to jump the gun on some people in here who've had less than stellar experiences with this dealer. There's nothing wrong with giving people a heads up on past experiences that took far too long or not even followed through on.

Edited by Miranda2525, 19 May 2018 - 01:51 PM.

• RAKing likes this

#34 leonard

leonard

Apollo

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:16 PM

Hello billP

Let’s call it frustration and disappointment . As was pointed out it occurs over and over .

For myself if this monocentric eyepiece was produced with high quality control and one could purchase it ,

I’m in . But a business model of send your money and nothing happens does build frustration and disappointment .

• Sarkikos and RAKing like this

#35 Andy Howie

Andy Howie

Ranger 4

• Loc: Paisley, Scotland

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

Dealing with Burgess optical is like this...

Is item in stock? Phone or email to confirm. If yes, order. If not, don't. Wait until it is.

That's how i've done business with them over the years.

Andy.

• Darren Bly likes this

#36 BillP

BillP

Hubble

Posted 19 May 2018 - 02:22 PM

Sorry, there is no "hate talk" here, just real people with real past experiences. Let's try not to jump the gun on some people in here who've had less than stellar experiences with this dealer. There's nothing wrong with giving people a heads up on past experiences that took far too long or not even followed through on.

No disrespect, but everything is a two way street.  I've had frustrations with several vendors as well, Burgess not one of them.  So what purpose does it serve for me to vent to the community about some of the major vendors, and not so major vendors?  None.  No process, vendor, or consumer is perfect.  Frustrations are a part of life and the cause is always shared.  So "hate talk" for me is any overly negative speak, regardless if it is from first hand or second hand.  It is just not a productive process that moves anything forward, is productive, or desired.

I reiterate, if he's bringing the monocentrics he previously planned back to market, then great.  Once they arrive folks can get them, try them, report on them, and keep or return them, like with wares from any vendor.  If a consumer chooses to get on a multi-year wait list, or place a down payment on a product not yet in production, then they take the responsibilities for the risks inherent in that process and have nothing to complain about regardless of how it may or may not turn out - simple consumer 101.

Edited by BillP, 19 May 2018 - 02:28 PM.

• Unknownastron, eros312, The Luckster and 1 other like this

#37 starcam

starcam

Apollo

• Loc: MD

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

I still have to wonder if Thomas Back didn't die, that things would be totally different

Also if eveybody and their neighbor hadn't cloned his planetaries, he lost so much money.

Edited by starcam, 19 May 2018 - 09:57 PM.

#38 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:50 PM

No disrespect, but everything is a two way street.  I've had frustrations with several vendors as well, Burgess not one of them.  So what purpose does it serve for me to vent to the community about some of the major vendors, and not so major vendors?  None.  No process, vendor, or consumer is perfect.  Frustrations are a part of life and the cause is always shared.  So "hate talk" for me is any overly negative speak, regardless if it is from first hand or second hand.  It is just not a productive process that moves anything forward, is productive, or desired.

I reiterate, if he's bringing the monocentrics he previously planned back to market, then great.  Once they arrive folks can get them, try them, report on them, and keep or return them, like with wares from any vendor.  If a consumer chooses to get on a multi-year wait list, or place a down payment on a product not yet in production, then they take the responsibilities for the risks inherent in that process and have nothing to complain about regardless of how it may or may not turn out - simple consumer 101.

Would not be any sense for you to vent. Might be for others who've had less than stellar service, which is ok. People need to be informed for good or bad. Calling bad reviews "hate talk" is not appropriate IMO, because it isn't.

Was not meant to "trash" the vendor. Was just passing info onto others who might want to know like the rest of the people in this thread. 

Have yourself a great day! 

Edited by Miranda2525, 19 May 2018 - 04:17 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, zjc26138, leonard and 3 others like this

#39 leonard

leonard

Apollo

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:28 PM

Dealing with Burgess optical is like this...

Is item in stock? Phone or email to confirm. If yes, order. If not, don't. Wait until it is.

That's how i've done business with them over the years.

Andy.

Sage advice and to the point !

• Andy Howie and Miranda2525 like this

#40 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:52 PM

Well..  I probably have seen some hate talk about various vendors including Burgess.  It's actually against the TOS.  I have no hate for Bill and Tammy Burgess, I wish them my best.  But I do wish Bill was a more realistic in his promises.  Too much vaporware.  

Myself, sharing my actual experiences with Burgess, what I have seen, that is an honest bit of history. This is not venting, this is not hate, it's doing what any friend does, telling it like it is.   When all the hype and buzz was going on about the 101mm Burgess Backpacker, I shared my story with the 1026 to caution others.  As history showed, the Backpacker turned out the same way the 1026 did, it never made it to the marketplace.  

Jon

• turtle86, Sarkikos and Miranda2525 like this

#41 BillP

BillP

Hubble

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:09 PM

Myself, sharing my actual experiences with Burgess, what I have seen, that is an honest bit of history. This is not venting, this is not hate, it's doing what any friend does, telling it like it is.

My first reaction to this is the old adage that says just because one can do something does not mean that they should do it.

Of course, could probably dig up experiences of less than stellar attitudes and actions of just about everyone here!  To what good end does that serve?  If you believe you need to relate a past experience you had that was not pleasurable about a vendor as a way of helping another avoid a similar mistake, I would suggest that a better way of doing that would be to educate them on things to be wary of when getting involved in purchases.  So take the name and the vendor out of it and pass along the general wisdom you have acquired.  That to me would be the much more appropriate approach, especially since past experiences can have absolutely nothing similar to a present circumstance.  So unless someone has direct knowledge that a present circumstance will be exactly the same as some past condition, then leave the past in the past, and pass on the generalized wisdom that was gained only.  I mean I could relate a bad experience with just about every vendor out there -- I don't think doing so would advance anything worthwhile though  lol.gif  Plus some of these "bad" experiences are how old from how long ago?  A decade or more?  I think that might be a little too long ago to keep regurgitating them forward.  IMO when bad experiences from the far past are retold and retold, there is another agenda going on, consciously or unconsciously. 

Better to educate people on the inherent risks of wrapping their  hopes and wishes on equipment that is not yet in production, or of placing down payments on items not yet made or on back order, or of getting on a decade long wait list.  All the complaints and frustrations I see are from people who went into propositions that were high risk to begin with.  Anyway, that's my opinion on it all, and I'm sticking to it.flowerred.gif

Edited by BillP, 19 May 2018 - 06:20 PM.

• rdaniel and nicoledoula like this

#42 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:37 PM

My first reaction to this is the old adage that says just because one can do something does not mean that they should do it.

Of course, could probably dig up experiences of less than stellar attitudes and actions of just about everyone here!  To what good end does that serve?  If you believe you need to relate a past experience you had that was not pleasurable about a vendor as a way of helping another avoid a similar mistake, I would suggest that a better way of doing that would be to educate them on things to be wary of when getting involved in purchases.  So take the name and the vendor out of it and pass along the general wisdom you have acquired.  That to me would be the much more appropriate approach, especially since past experiences can have absolutely nothing similar to a present circumstance.  So unless someone has direct knowledge that a present circumstance will be exactly the same as some past condition, then leave the past in the past, and pass on the generalized wisdom that was gained only.  I mean I could relate a bad experience with just about every vendor out there -- I don't think doing so would advance anything worthwhile though  lol.gif  Plus some of these "bad" experiences are how old from how long ago?  A decade or more?  I think that might be a little too long ago to keep regurgitating them forward.  IMO when bad experiences from the far past are retold and retold, there is another agenda going on, consciously or unconsciously. 

Better to educate people on the inherent risks of wrapping their  hopes and wishes on equipment that is not yet in production, or of placing down payments on items not yet made or on back order, or of getting on a decade long wait list.  All the complaints and frustrations I see are from people who went into propositions that were high risk to begin with.  Anyway, that's my opinion on it all, and I'm sticking to it.flowerred.gif

Disagree!

To treat all vendors (like Agena as well as several others that do ship within minutes/hours) the same as those that don't ship at all  is absurd IMO.

Everyone started out with a clean slate and those that tarnished their reputations  shouldn't be given a free pass  until they've rectified it..

Furthermore, If I didn't know the previous history of a "potential" sketchy Vendor, I'd want to be informed to avoid such hassles and fate as those before me had suffered.

Not informing the unsuspecting public is a disservice to the Astro-Community.......(IMO of course).

• Jon Isaacs, zjc26138, turtle86 and 7 others like this

#43 eklf

eklf

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carrboro, NC

Posted 19 May 2018 - 08:32 PM

Ordered some bits and pieces about two years ago. Had them delivered as fast as from any other place I have ordered from. I would/will order again if Burgess offers something interesting.

Cheers, Emil

+1

I first ordered Burgess 2nd generation binoviewer over a decade ago for an amazing price - $136 shipped that included pair of 20mm binolite eyepieces and a 1.9x OCA.  At that time the only other games were several 100s more.

Fast shipping, and over the years I have bought stuff from him, and had great service and fast shipping.

Never have spoken to him so cant comment on personality. 

I would not hesitate doing business with him again.

#44 jeffmac

jeffmac

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:16 PM

Have ordered products from Bill twice and never had a problem. Items were shipped promptly without a hitch. I think I'd probably have to agree that ordering his existing products result in good experiences.

• Andy Howie, The Luckster and nicoledoula like this

#45 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:29 AM

I met Bill Burgess about 10-12 years ago--he was a vendor at the Green Bank Star Quest.  He was very personable.  I bought an 8mm BO/TMB Planetary Series ep and a 6mm BO/TMB Planetary II Series ep to use with my C8.  They are both good eyepieces.

A couple of years after that, he quit coming to GBSQ and I heard he was having all kinds of difficulties--even bankruptcy (but I'm not sure about that).  This was around the time that Thomas Back passed away, iirc.

Anyway, it sounds like he went through a pretty rough patch--maybe things are better now.

I almost never get to use those ep's since they yield 489x and 652x in my C14--I seldom get seeing good enough--but maybe I'll be able to employ them on Mars this summer.

• nicoledoula likes this

#46 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

Of course, could probably dig up experiences of less than stellar attitudes and actions of just about everyone here!  To what good end does that serve?  If you believe you need to relate a past experience you had that was not pleasurable about a vendor as a way of helping another avoid a similar mistake, I would suggest that a better way of doing that would be to educate them on things to be wary of when getting involved in purchases.  So take the name and the vendor out of it and pass along the general wisdom you have acquired.  That to me would be the much more appropriate approach, especially since past experiences can have absolutely nothing similar to a present circumstance.  So unless someone has direct knowledge that a present circumstance will be exactly the same as some past condition, then leave the past in the past, and pass on the generalized wisdom that was gained only. 

Sorry, Bill.  In business we always set our future expectations on past experience.

People tend to behave in the same patterns they have established over the course of their business careers, so to suggest that someone who has behaved poorly in the past will change their methods or business model is a recipe for future disappointment.

Best of luck and Caveat Emptor!

Ron

• tony_spina, Jon Isaacs, turtle86 and 5 others like this

#47 gezak22

gezak22

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: On far side of moon. Send help.

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:22 PM

I see on his website that he lists a 91mm f/7.68 fluorite doublet with a lanthenum element for under $900.  Does anyone have any experience or has owned this scope?  I’ve never heard anything about it until I looked on the BO website yesterday.

Bill

I had one, and in a side by side comparison with the Tak Sky 90 II (f/5.6), the BO did not keep up on the planets, so I had to let it go.

The BO was very light though, and I liked its focuser too. A very light and solid scope.

#48 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:07 AM

The only item I ordered directly from Burgess were eyepiece holder upgrades for my Burgess Binoviewer.  They arrived quickly and worked well.  This was about five years ago.

Mike

• nicoledoula likes this

#49 ThomasM

ThomasM

Viking 1

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:59 AM

Many years ago, I ordered a 10mm eyepiece from Burgess Optical and paid half the price in advance. I had a call from Bill today, and the eyepiece will be shipped in a few weeks. There are aspheric lenses, and he said that QC issues were what took so long to resolve, as aspheric lenses are more difficult to machine. There's a photo of the eyepiece in his web site, burgessoptical.com. There will be other focal lenghths available over the next year.

Bill has always been an innovator and I appreciate what he has done.

It seems that the eyepieces arrived:

http://www.burgessop...onocentric.html

• nicoledoula likes this

#50 buddy ny

buddy ny

Viking 1

• Loc: USA N.Carolina

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:51 AM

Same here. Every time I hear the words "Burgess Optical", I get nervous and start looking for the exit. 

Too many words; not enough deliveries.

Ron

I'm aware of the issues some have had with Bill  & the QC issues he had

But......

I first contacted Bill when the Burgess/TMB planetarys came to market

I still have the 6,7,8,9 mm... had doubles for the AP Mark V  bino unit 

never a delivery issue or mishap,,, some  time Years later

I called Bill for something or another,, we spoke at length  about T Back & Astro stuff in general

Bill sent me an EP  as a gift ,,,pretty cool of him,,ehh

, as i  was living in Memphis at the time & he's located in Tenn

it arrived 2 days later

only time any body,,,,in the Astro Biz{{{ other than some bartenders}}},, gave me a by-back waytogo.gif

Bills done right by me,, as unwarranted as I am

This just my experience with Burgess optical 

Thanks Bill

peace

B

Edited by buddy ny, 01 August 2018 - 09:54 AM.

• eklf, dpastern, The Luckster and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics