•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Burgess Optical - New Eyepieces Soon

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#126 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:39 AM

Just got a PM from an IceInSpace member (Australia) that they just received it and were able to compare it against their Tak Abbe Orthos and the UltraMono bested them and brought in fainter planetary details.  I do not have any Tak Orthos so was happy to hear about their compare.

• eros312 likes this

#127 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:51 PM

Does anyone else have any reports...?  I'm very interested in this eyepiece's performance and I have been following this thread for a while.

Jaimo!

I had a half-hearted first light of the Burgess UM 10mm last night, and though I am not one for noticing slight subtleties between different oculars I will do my best to convey my experience.  I only used my 80mm f/5 refractor and my 90mm f/14 Mak, since I am still limited to the weight I can lift and carry due to a recent surgery.  take my comments with a grain of salt.

S 3 -- T 3  Time:  6:15 to 9:00 P.M. PST  Weather:  62* 65% hum

Equipment used:

80mm f/5 refractor, 90mm f/14 Mak, ES Twilight Nano Alt Az tripod, anti-vibration pads, GSO 1.25" Dielectric diagonal, GSO 20mm 68*, Burgess UM 10mm, BST UW 5mm 58*, Tele Vue 2x Barlow.  All equipment set up and acclimatized for over 3 hours.

80mm f/5 refractor observation findings:

The Burgess UM 10mm needed a lot of focus, a lot more than any other ocular I own.  The UM 10mm (40x) in the f/5 only has about 50% usable FOV on-axis out, the rest of the fov nearing the stop gets really distorted.  Mars appeared star-like.  On axis with the crescent moon was very sharp with very good contrast.  Neptune was also observed, ever so pale-ish of a green-ish dot.

The UM 10mm becomes wonderful from on axis to the field stop when barlowed in my TV 2x (80x).  The moon showed really good clarity, sharpness and contrast, with hardly any change at the edges as the moon drifted in and out of view in the FOV.  Compared to my BST 5mm, which performed very well, I would give a slight overall performance edge to the UM 10mm.  The BST 5mm was darn-tootn' good; contrast, sharpness and edge performance.  Plus, a larger FOV.  Comparing the FOV of the crescent moon between the UM 10mm (w/TV2x) and the BST 5mm, I would say the UM 10mm AFOV claim of 35 degrees to be accurate.

Mars was more disk-like with the UM 10mm + TV 2x, but still not a solid disk.  I also had the same results with the BST 5mm.

90mm f/14 Mak observation findings:

Using an f/14 Mak on a still tight Alt-Az mount was not a wise choice, but I do have some findings.  The UM 10mm drastically improves edge performance in the much slower telescope.  Getting Mars on-axis at 125x and 35* afov was an exercise in futility, but I got it done a few times.  I even tried with the TV2x for 250x; I did see Mars whoosh by several times when trying to "fine tune" my mount... At 125x, the UM 10mm revealed a disk, but that's about it.

Final words:

About the Burgess Ultra Mono 10mm Eye Relief (er); though tight, I found the UM 10mm's ER to be comfortable within the realms of "tight".  I had to gently press against the rubber eye guard to get the entire FOV into focus.  My eyelashes never touched the ocular.

The next time I use the Burgess UM 10mm I will be better prepared, and I will use my tracking mount.  Even with the spectacular views I got of the moon with the UM 10mm (w/2x barlow on my fast scope), the main purpose for me with this ocular is planetary and I've got a little waiting to do.  And from the moon's performance, I think the Burgess UM 10mm will excel in planetary observations with my current equipment.  It's a keeper for me.

Not much of a report, but that's what I got...

CS

jason

Edited by The Luckster, 12 December 2018 - 12:57 PM.

• eklf, eros312, Hugh Peck and 1 other like this

#128 emilslomi

emilslomi

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Alps

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:36 PM

Does anyone know if there a plans of other focal length? At this price, I would go for a 6 mm without hesitation.

Cheers, Emil

#129 eros312

eros312

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:56 PM

First post in this thread says more are coming in the next year. I'd be interested in 6 and 8mm myself.

#130 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

Posted 20 December 2018 - 01:49 PM

I worked with the 10UM on the moon and a few stars last night, and did some side-by-side with a BST 5mm (10UM w/TV2x) using my 80mm f/5 refractor.  Aside from the large edge of field distortion @ 10mm, on-axis continues to impress.  Barlowed at 5mm, the 10UM becomes an entirely new beast with an impressive field that barely begins to soften and distort at the very edge of the fov.  Compared to the BST 5mm, aside from the huge difference in FOV, I could not tell a visual difference between the two except that I slightly preferred the views of the moon with the 10UM.  Seemed to have a hair more pop, if that makes any sense.  That is me, I am not ultra sensitive and as observant as many of you seasoned and experienced observers.

However, I can tell you this with a reasonable amount of confidence in what I have been experiencing with observing with the Burgess 10 UM:  It snaps into focus, regardless of what scope I mount it on, it snaps into focus.  At 10mm, at 5mm, it snaps.

CS

jason

Edited by The Luckster, 20 December 2018 - 01:52 PM.

• eros312 likes this

#131 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:27 PM

Does anyone know if there a plans of other focal length? At this price, I would go for a 6 mm without hesitation.

Cheers, Emil

In my last talk with Bill B. he mentioned that he is open to other focal lengths just wants to know what most people would prefer.  Send a note to the Contact Us on how website or everyone chime in here and next time I correspond with him will let him know.

• eros312 and oldphysics like this

#132 eros312

eros312

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa, FL

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:52 PM

In my last talk with Bill B. he mentioned that he is open to other focal lengths just wants to know what most people would prefer.  Send a note to the Contact Us on how website or everyone chime in here and next time I correspond with him will let him know.

I'd like to see a 6 and 8.

• terraclarke and agmoonsolns like this

#133 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:53 PM

I placed an order for the 10mm with Burgess, but didn't receive any kind of response after the order was placed, not even an e-mail auto-response letting me know my order had been received like what one gets after ordering from just about anyone else. No response to my e-mails either.

Just out of curiosity, is this what you encountered when ordering, is it normal? About how long did it take for the eyepiece to arrive?

If this is normal and the eyepiece typically just shows up in about a week without any communication from the seller, I can be patient and wait. I would really like to know what to expect as I am a little concerned after reading some of the posts about Bill Burgess and really long waits, etc. I figure he's probably still off for the holidays or something like that and hasn't had a chance to check his computer, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask what's typical when ordering from him so I know what to expect.

#134 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:07 PM

I placed an order for the 10mm with Burgess, but didn't receive any kind of response after the order was placed, not even an e-mail auto-response letting me know my order had been received like what one gets after ordering from just about anyone else. No response to my e-mails either.

Just out of curiosity, is this what you encountered when ordering, is it normal? About how long did it take for the eyepiece to arrive?

If this is normal and the eyepiece typically just shows up in about a week without any communication from the seller, I can be patient and wait. I would really like to know what to expect as I am a little concerned after reading some of the posts about Bill Burgess and really long waits, etc. I figure he's probably still off for the holidays or something like that and hasn't had a chance to check his computer, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask what's typical when ordering from him so I know what to expect.

I think I got an email from Burgess Optical regarding shipping of my purchase, but I cannot remember and my email archives do not show it.  However, I received my 10mm UM 3 days after I purchased it online.

jason

#135 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:02 PM

They must read this group as shortly afterward my questions were answered and I received the shipping information (thank you Tammy!) I am so excited and can't wait to try out the 10mm!

• eros312, oldphysics and The Luckster like this

#136 oldphysics

oldphysics

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:41 AM

I think it’s time to open the old man’s wallet.

Ouch!  That smarts.wink.gif

And thanks to Mr. Paolini for an excellent and persuasive review.

Edited by oldphysics, 16 February 2019 - 08:46 AM.

#137 emilslomi

emilslomi

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:09 AM

Just scanned the posts in this thread, and the news may not be out yet ...

I checked the Burgess website a few minutes ago, and a 6 mm has been announced as 'coming soon'.

I'll be getting one when they are out. Let's see what happens to eye relief. Initially, I was also interested in a 4 mm. But with my manual mount and the small FOV, I think it will be too bothersome to keep the object centered below 6 mm.

Cheers, Emil

Edited by emilslomi, 20 February 2019 - 08:10 AM.

• eros312, oldphysics and The Luckster like this

#138 The Luckster

The Luckster

Viking 1

Posted 20 February 2019 - 09:16 PM

Just scanned the posts in this thread, and the news may not be out yet ...

I checked the Burgess website a few minutes ago, and a 6 mm has been announced as 'coming soon'.

I'll be getting one when they are out. Let's see what happens to eye relief. Initially, I was also interested in a 4 mm. But with my manual mount and the small FOV, I think it will be too bothersome to keep the object centered below 6 mm.

Cheers, Emil

I've seen that, as well.  I will be adding this one, and any other Monos Burgess produces.

CS

jason

#139 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:37 PM

I'm in.  Just bought the 10mm and am waiting with baited breath for the 6mm, and possibly others...

foreheadslap.gif

Jaimo!

#140 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:52 PM

I have the 10mm and there are two "Wow!" factors in using it - the first wow is when you initially look through it at an object like the moon and you say to yourself "Wow, the outer third of the field of view is absolutely terrible!" and then you look at the central third and you think to yourself "Wow, this is insanely sharp and high contrast, I can't believe all of the fine details I am seeing!".

Just be warned, this is strictly an eyepiece for planetary and double star observing. The poor performance outside the center of the field makes trying to observe anything else a waste of time. That being said, the planetary performance is absolutely superb. Shockingly sharp with all kinds of fine details invisible in other eyepieces. Considering the price and the performance, it's a must have eyepiece for me. I will also be buying a 6mm too along with any other focal length Burgess brings to market.

The Ultramono is a phenomenal eyepiece, I am so glad Burgess is selling these and at an affordable price too. I am quite certain these will become highly collectible classics.

• eros312 and The Luckster like this

#141 luxo II

luxo II

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:36 AM

OK.. I'll take a chance on this and order a 10mm. If it's as good on axis as suggested, I'll spring for the 6mm.

Splitting Procyon is the test, after succeeding last week. Sirius is too easy, these days.

Edited by luxo II, 23 February 2019 - 09:39 AM.

• Jaimo! and eros312 like this

#142 asenov13

asenov13

Explorer 1

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:47 PM

Today I was searching online for TMB supermono eyepiece and I saw the 10mm Ultramono in the Burgess website...."what the ****" Monocentric for 100$ .....that can't be true. Than I started searching for reviews as it looks like this EP is out for one year now and I was hoping to find someone comparing his TMB or ZAO to this new kid on the block but nothing. Yes there is one guy that compared the 10mm UM and barlow to Pentax xo5mm but that is same as to compare Jack Daniel's mixed with cola to a clean Jack Daniel's. I bought a pair today for my binoviewer.

The only pair I own that is comparable is the 10mm volcano tops...and I can't wait to see that fight.

If that eyepiece is good....it will kill that ZAO price bubble where 1 used eyepiece is 1000$... but it looks like no one that paid 1000 usd for a single eyepiece will come here saing that this 100& ep is as good

I alwais wanted supermono pair but the prices were a joke . It looks like now it will happen.

• Procyon likes this

#143 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:44 PM

So long as you have a tracking scope and only look at small objects in the center of the field, that is.

Monocentrics are only really sharp in the center, say, 10° of field.

In other words, "planetary" eyepieces.

Note that Harry Siebert sells many focal lengths of monocentrics, but to achieve short focal lengths, an extra lens has to be added.

I suspect that is to keep the eye reliefs from being too short.

Here is some ray-tracing: https://www.telescop...ce_raytrace.htm

Look at some of the large eyepieces on the bottom.  Impressive.

• Procyon likes this

#144 leonard

leonard

Apollo

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 08 June 2019 - 03:04 AM

So long as you have a tracking scope and only look at small objects in the center of the field, that is.

It’s nice to see that Bill B. placed what appears to be the correct eye relief in his ad .

Yes sharp in the center of the FOV, weather it’s 10 degrees or 15 degrees but that is the point . For planetary viewing

a well made triplet will provide high contrast and a crisp view in that 15 degrees . Faint detail may be seen that eyepieces

with many elements (7/8 or more) will not show or show only with less clarity . Comfort and a eye spa is not the role

of these eyepieces , they are to grab the most detail in the image and jam it into your eye . No 90 degree FOV ,

no stars as sharp pin pricks to the edge . 

Some things only come the hard way so to speak . 

• Procyon likes this

#145 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 08 June 2019 - 03:15 AM

Today I was searching online for TMB supermono eyepiece and I saw the 10mm Ultramono in the Burgess website...."what the ****" Monocentric for 100$ ..... I bought a pair today for my binoviewer.

Please let us know what you think when you try them.

Are Orthos or Supermonos any good on PN's? Tried a BGO 9mm on the Turtle PN tonight, and yeah, mixed results.

#146 asenov13

asenov13

Explorer 1

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:18 AM

The eyepieces were posted very fast by Burgess.I am still waiting as I am in Europe.

There are few questions that I can't answer myself.

Burgess produced TMB Planetary eyepieces....did they made the supormonos too ?

How they decided to make them now and non of the giants as Skywatcher,Celestron, Tele-view, never even bothered ? For so many years they were watching the market pumping the prices of the ZAO and TMB Supermonos because of the high demand. 

I belive this eyepieces will be amazing because of few things. Burgess worked with Thomas Back and the Planetary eyepieces had only positive reviews.The coatings are now better than ever and I am sure they will apply the best possible. I can't wait honestly :)

They will be perfect in f15 Mak with Zeiss prism and Nikon binoviewer :)

#147 leonard

leonard

Apollo

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:33 AM

No burgess had nothing to do with the TMB monocentric .

#148 leonard

leonard

Apollo

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:43 AM

.The coatings are now better than ever and I am sure they will apply the best possible.

How do you know this ?

There is little in Bill B. Track record to show the best of anything , but anything can happen .

#149 emilslomi

emilslomi

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:23 AM

The eyepieces were posted very fast by Burgess.I am still waiting as I am in Europe.

There are few questions that I can't answer myself.

How they decided to make them now and non of the giants as Skywatcher,Celestron, Tele-view, never even bothered ? For so many years they were watching the market pumping the prices of the ZAO and TMB Supermonos because of the high demand. 

I belive this eyepieces will be amazing because of few things. Burgess worked with Thomas Back and the Planetary eyepieces had only positive reviews.The coatings are now better than ever and I am sure they will apply the best possible. I can't wait honestly smile.gif

They will be perfect in f15 Mak with Zeiss prism and Nikon binoviewer smile.gif

Both times I ordered eyepieces, they were sent out very quickly. But both times they got stuck in the airfreight hub in Miami for about 2 weeks. Don't despair - they'll start moving again just after you gave up on them.

Emil

#150 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 12 June 2019 - 10:00 AM

None of my mounts track, so I'll pass.  I can deal with 40 degrees.  10 degrees?  I don't think so.

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics