•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mac Software for Capture and Process for Planetary

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OcativeOrg

OcativeOrg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

Could anyone recommend a top planetary capture software for the MAC OS? 

I have been told AstroImager is more deep space but has added functionality needed for planetary. 

Fire Capture has a MAC OS version but even carefully following the instructions I could not get the software to install on my computer. 

Has anyone ever run into any software creators that one might be careful about, as a potential malware risk? 

Thank you 

#2 SDTopensied

SDTopensied

Viking 1

• Loc: Atlanta

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:53 PM

Check out AstroImager from Cloudmakers

http://www.cloudmakers.eu

Peter, the developer, is very responsive and is involved with the INDI team as well.

-Steve

• OcativeOrg likes this

#3 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:24 PM

Could anyone recommend a top planetary capture software for the MAC OS? 

I have been told AstroImager is more deep space but has added functionality needed for planetary. 

Fire Capture has a MAC OS version but even carefully following the instructions I could not get the software to install on my computer. 

Has anyone ever run into any software creators that one might be careful about, as a potential malware risk? 

Thank you 

There are a few options available. One is AstroImager as you have suggested. In the preferences you can set it to stream video instead of taking stills. Or you can set a really high frame rate/exposure and capture series of stills, but it's only going to go as fast as your USB can write.

Another option is OACapture. Which is just for planetary.

And yet another one on the scene is Planetary Imager, which was developed on Linux and ported to OS X, and is also primarily for planetary capture.

As for processing, at the moment, there's not a lot of good choices. Lynkeos is one option. Another is Keiths Image Stacker. Neither are very modern, and have not been updated in some time. I currently use AutoStakkert by dual booting into Windows. Planetary processing seems to be the only lacking area on the Mac currently.

• OcativeOrg likes this

#4 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:53 PM

SIRIL also has some planetary processing (it will stack), but I'm not sure how much more it can do. It's at least fairly modern, as it's actively being developed.

Edited by Lead_Weight, 16 May 2018 - 02:56 PM.

• lock042 and OcativeOrg like this

#5 cgarry

cgarry

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge, UK

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:14 AM

Plus SER Player will allow you to play back your SER format captures on your MAC.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by cgarry, 17 May 2018 - 05:15 AM.

• lock042 and OcativeOrg like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics