•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mak Newt coming soon

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: VA

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:11 PM

https://www.telescop...eyword=dovetail

will be the model above.  Thought I would see what the Chinese version would be like compared to the Intes versions.  I had a MN61 and a MN71 wish at times I still had.  Wonderful scopes.  

#2 howardcano

howardcano

Mariner 2

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:12 PM

That's a pretty large central obstruction... at least compared to the MN61.  Different intended uses, I suppose.

And yes, it did hurt when I sold my MN61, and still does.  The views were as impressive as the weight!

Edited by howardcano, 16 May 2018 - 02:14 PM.

#3 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:39 PM

That's a pretty large central obstruction... at least compared to the MN61.  Different intended uses, I suppose.

And yes, it did hurt when I sold my MN61, and still does.  The views were as impressive as the weight!

this one only weighs 15 lbs.  Might have kept the Mn61 or MN71 had they had carbon fiber tubes.  Also, not sure if the tube is baffled in these Chinese models. will find out in a few days. And yes 30% versus about 20% for the Intes is difference.  However, we are going from F6 to F4.8 here so I would expect the secondary to be larger. 

Edited by starman876, 16 May 2018 - 02:44 PM.

• rolo likes this

#4 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Viking 1

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:07 PM

According to the AgenaAstro site, it is baffled.  Will be interesting to hear what you think.

#5 JakeJ

JakeJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:07 PM

I think they are nice.  Had the chance to look through one last fall.  Not quite the planetary instrument like the Intes scopes, it is designed for low power flat fields, which it does very well.  Look forward to see what you think of it.

• rolo likes this

#6 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:06 PM

I think they are nice.  Had the chance to look through one last fall.  Not quite the planetary instrument like the Intes scopes, it is designed for low power flat fields, which it does very well.  Look forward to see what you think of it.

I am looking for a flat field scope that has decent aperture and does not weigh that much and still can provide some decent power.  I am hoping that this scope will fit that bill.   Also, at 15 lbs I can mount it on a lot of mounts.  We will see how I like it.   Will try and do some imaging with it. Another reason I wanted a carbon fiber tube. 

• JakeJ, rolo and Exnihilo like this

#7 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Viking 1

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

I am looking for a flat field scope that has decent aperture and does not weigh that much and still can provide some decent power.  I am hoping that this scope will fit that bill.   Also, at 15 lbs I can mount it on a lot of mounts.  We will see how I like it.   Will try and do some imaging with it. Another reason I wanted a carbon fiber tube. 

You actually got that one from Orion?  I had thought the only place you could get them was Woodland Hills.  All the other retailers show "out of stock."

Edited by Exnihilo, 17 May 2018 - 09:35 AM.

#8 John P

John P

Messenger

• Loc: Irondequoit, NY USA

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:57 AM

You are going to love this telescope.  Mine has excellent optics ranging from low power, wide field to fairly high power for double stars and planetary.  I never understood why man-newts were never all that popular as they come very close to being the perfect "do all" telescope.  After many years and having several large telescopes, I personally have settled in on 6" as my most used aperture and the mak-newt being the best, for me, optics.

#9 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

You actually got that one from Orion?  I had thought the only place you could get them was Woodland Hills.  All the other retailers show "out of stock."

No

got it from the telescope warehouse.   

#10 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted Today, 09:59 AM

The scope came in yesterday along with the thunderstorms following it mad.gif

Tonight will be the Caps/Tampa game so I doubt I will be using the scope.

I did view with it quickly at the power transformer across the street and was able to read the fine print on the labels easily.

However, a quick test showed that as I moved the label of center axis that the label did not stay in sharp focus. I inserted a coma corrector and that did help.

I was using the supplied 25mm widefield 2" eyepiece.  I will try the same test using a TV eyepiece when I have time.

I should DPAC the scope which will tell me a lot.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics