•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

H-alpha etalon filter adjustment

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vivid_Grey

Vivid_Grey

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Riga

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

Hello to all CloudyNights members,

It is my first forum post. I am a bit embarased as I my English not  so good, as it should  to be.... but I got small issue with recently purchased from LUNT H-alpha filter  and hope that you will understand me and could give me a good advice. Thanks in advance !

My setup.  Set of filters (  LS60FHa  plus B1200d2 blocking filter ) is attached to SW ED80 telescope. In general all seems OK, and I can get more or less normal view of prominences plus can see granular structure of the sun surface same time, but... what seems strange  - I don't know if this picture is best or may be it can be improved  -  because yellow metal tuning rim on the etalon filter appears to be already at it's edge position.  Actually it means, that I can't adjust quality of the picture. Just by turning  rim to it's edge position can approach to some more or less good sun shape in my eyepiece.

What could be a reason ? 

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

As long as you can pass through the point of best detail, is should not matter where the wheel is in its travel range, but if you can't see the detail appear than disappear, then something is wrong.  You should have at least a little over-travel past the point of maximum detail. 

I you are truly at the end of travel and have not passed through the point of maximum detail, then I suggest you contact Lunt directly.  

#3 Vivid_Grey

Vivid_Grey

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

You should have at least a little over-travel past the point of maximum detail. 

Thanks for your idea !  I don't have this over-travel, that's issue ! 

Lunt claims, that may be something is wrong with connection of etalon filter to telescope.

Edited by Vivid_Grey, 16 May 2018 - 02:19 PM.

#4 ONCEWASER

ONCEWASER

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 May 2018 - 03:28 PM

have you tried rotating your unit? Sometimes these filters views can be greatly improved with a simple turn of the unit itself 90degrees or so

#5 Vivid_Grey

Vivid_Grey

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:31 PM

have you tried rotating your unit? Sometimes these filters views can be greatly improved with a simple turn of the unit itself 90degrees or so

No, I havn't tried yet, thank you, I'll try it today, fortunately weather forecast is good ! 

#6 Vivid_Grey

Vivid_Grey

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:26 AM

Couple of days was cloudy, only yesterday I had a possibility to make "laboratory experiments" with my filter. Rotation of the filter doesn't help - I tried 90 and 180 deg angles - situation remains same. 

Lunt do not object if item will be returned for adjustment, but it seems very strange to me, that new filter ( I got it from Lunt directly in February this year ) needs a repair.

Any other idea about the reason ?

Edited by Vivid_Grey, 21 May 2018 - 03:47 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics