•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Skyview Pro EQ mount and Celestron 8" Edge

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SE Massachusetts - Near Gillette Stadium

Posted 16 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

I think this is mainly a beginner question, at least it would be interesting to people thinking about mount and scope combos.

I have an Orion Skyview Pro goto mount, it's weight limit for visual is 20 pounds.  I first got it so that I had a goto mount that once I got my Skywatcher EQ6-R for my home observing patio it would become a travel mount and for all my gear until now it was fine.  My XLT120 sort of overloaded it but I got very good solar images with it and used the 127 Mak for lunar.

Well that was then, this is now.  I still like it because of its lightweight, the head is only about 18 pounds easy for an old guy like me with some heart issues and real bad knees to set up. BUT I just broke down and let a Celestron 8" Edge force itself on me, I hate it when that happens. The problem I am facing or worried about is that the Edge is 14 pounds, add a finder and camera and I am about 16-17 pounds, fine for visual but will it work for Lunar imaging?

The Edge is a SCT so a short tube so it should be easier to balance than my XLT120 f/8.3.

Has anyone used an 8 inch SCT on the Skyview Pro for imaging?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics