•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Not enough integration?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 physics911

physics911

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

I had more noise than I thought I should have in the M51 I shot last weekend.

I shot 2 hours of lum, and 45 minutes each of RGB with an ASI1600 at -15C, bin 1x1, and unit gain.

I processed with plenty of darks, bias, and flats.

Is that just not enough time to get a smooth background?

Thank you,

Chris

#2 pbkoden

pbkoden

Mariner 2

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:39 PM

There are a lot of factors to determine signal to noise for a certain integration time. What is your sky quality (light pollution), what is your aperture and focal length?

Imaging from a red zone, SQM-L reading in the mid 18's, I captured 8 hours of luminance and 4.5 hours of RGB (1.5 hours each) to get an SNR I was happy with on M51. This is with an 8" scope at 800mm focal length (f/4). Someone at a dark site could do the same thing in an hour. 

#3 Ishtim

Ishtim

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: N. Alabama, USA

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:51 PM

Optimize the exposure time for your subs. Lots of CN discussion regarding this.  Your f/4 scope should allow you do collect many exposures and achieve a decent SNR relatively quickly.     

#4 physics911

physics911

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:05 PM

My site is SQM 21.56, per a popular website, basically a class 4 Bortle, and I buy that based on observation.  So, while not perfect, I do have some decent skies.

My scope that night was an AT6IN reflector at 610mm, f/4, giving an image scale of 1.28"/px.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics