•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Travelling with Astro equipment to New Zealand

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: British Columbia, Canada

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:15 PM

I'm going to New Zealand for a conference next month. Of course I plan to take advantage of the opportunity by bringing along my portable astrophotography setup (70mm refractor with FF/FR and focus motor/controller, QHY163M camera and FW, Mini guide scope and ASI365MC cam, AstroTrac with head, wedge and tripod, laptop). All told, this represents a fair investment of equipment and I'd like to avoid any issues with NZ Customs. I've already read about getting a Y38 form (I'm Canadian - not sure what the US equivalent is) that lists equipment and serial numbers. I also found a nice photo equipment backpack that will allow me to carry the most expensive items and stay under the 7kg AirNZ carry-on weight limit. 

I'd be interested in any experiences of people taking astro equipment into NZ and any advice on how to do this efficiently without running into problems with NZ Customs. 

#2 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Viking 1

• Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:22 PM

Hi - maybe I can help 

wheres the conference and where are you flying into?

I think NZ is used to people coming in with photo gear so I don't think you will have any issues 

actually we are more worried about food and seeds etc ! 

Don't bring anything wood with you either :)

Shout me via PM and I will try help

Kind regards

Simon (Christchurch)

• Don W likes this

#3 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:27 PM

Thanks Simon. Conference is in Rotorua on the North Island, via Auckland. Yes, was reading about the plant products but didn't think of wood! I'll make sure I don't have any. 

...Keith

#4 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Viking 1

• Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:40 PM

No problem Keith 

:)

ok - the NZ customs site is best to check ... 

https://www.customs....avelling-to-nz/

maybe arrange a carnet before or just use the TIE 

usually my experience is that a personal camera bag is ok is most countries 

I travelled a lot into EU etc with mine 

Canadians are usually welcomed but with the scope and cameras I'd just arrange a TIE 

Cheers

Simon  

#5 RubyCruxis

RubyCruxis

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: 40.34s

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:38 PM

Hi Keith,

Away from the central city lights, there are some nice dark sky locations in the Rotorua area.

There is a local Rotorua astronomy society, a branch of the RASNZ. They have a Facebook page, if you wanted to contact local amateur astronomers for the best info or observing locations etc. Also a big local company Skyline which is known for luges and gondolas etc, has recently opened public stargazing. I think they have a C14 Edge HD and C11 Edge HD scopes as well for this. These are located on Mount Ngongotaha, on the outskirts of town.

Anyway enjoy your NZ trip and I hope you get a nice window of clear skies.

Edited by RubyCruxis, 16 May 2018 - 07:02 PM.

#6 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:57 PM

Thanks @RubyCruxis for the info. I found the website for the Hamilton Astro group but didn’t think to look on Facebook. I may follow up with the Rotorua group.
...Keith

Edited by microstar, 17 May 2018 - 08:06 AM.

#7 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:57 AM

On my first trip to Oz in 2005, I packed a Televue 102i in one checked bag surrounded by clothing and a TV Gibraltar mount in another. I had to make some shorter legs for it. In my carry-on I had a half dozen eyepieces and a couple of filters. The Gibraltar was equipped with Argo Navis and I had a wonderful time observing with it. Wasn't much fun moving from one place to another but I managed.

• microstar likes this

#8 Shneor

Shneor

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:46 AM

I traveled to South Island in 2000, with a 13.1" custom scope that went in checked baggage, with eyepieces in my carryon.

There's an small astronomy group in Alexandra; they also have a 20" dob in an observatory. I chose Alexandra because it was recommended by the Royal New Zealand Astronomical Society. There was a nice observing area adjacent to an unused airport, and I spent 6 nights observing there; it was rainy or cloudy for a couple of nights and temps were sometimes in the mid-teens (F). It was glorious! I was there for nearly two weeks. The local astro group were very helpful and loved my telescope. I still have copies of the local newspaper with a photo of me and my telescope. I posted observations every day via the local library.

• Don W, microstar and RubyCruxis like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics