•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comet King Binoculars

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lit

lit

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

hi there

Could someone Enlighten me on these,,

share your experince

l would like to know more about them

Sharpness ,,FlaTfield,,CA,,,coma,,any flares,,,Etc..

#2 Jay_Bird

Jay_Bird

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nevada, USA 36 N 115W

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:50 AM

The comet kings I’ve seen are 11x80.   There are coated and multicoated versions.  I purchased one of the latter from a fellow cn member 10 years ago and enjoy the views.  It tests 75-76mm aperture close enough for me.  Center sharpness is good and makes lunar views rewarding - better than expected.  The large exit pupil pros and cons are discussed at length here, if you like 7mm exit pupil these have the virtues of easy eye placement, moderate eye relief, etc.    There is some falloff in edge sharpness.  Field of view is 4.5 degrees or 50 degrees apparent.   I’ve brought these to outreach with a p-mount to good reception by public.  For some reason I find the view more engaging than 15-16x70 with wider apparent field of view which “should” be better for astronomy use... I don’t notice faults other than specifications would indicate (some might not like field of view, etc.).  They do well for deep sky for me, too.  I normally use them mounted.  

Are you asking about a specific model?

• lit likes this

#3 lit

lit

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:30 PM

yes

l was thinking of buying a 20x80 from late 90s

#4 lit

lit

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

The comet kings I’ve seen are 11x80.   There are coated and multicoated versions.  I purchased one of the latter from a fellow cn member 10 years ago and enjoy the views.  It tests 75-76mm aperture close enough for me.  Center sharpness is good and makes lunar views rewarding - better than expected.  The large exit pupil pros and cons are discussed at length here, if you like 7mm exit pupil these have the virtues of easy eye placement, moderate eye relief, etc.    There is some falloff in edge sharpness.  Field of view is 4.5 degrees or 50 degrees apparent.   I’ve brought these to outreach with a p-mount to good reception by public.  For some reason I find the view more engaging than 15-16x70 with wider apparent field of view which “should” be better for astronomy use... I don’t notice faults other than specifications would indicate (some might not like field of view, etc.).  They do well for deep sky for me, too.  I normally use them mounted.  

Are you asking about a specific model?

hi

l believe they were made by Tosco Co. LTD.

they would have a JB 111 form wht lm trying to learn 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics