•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

'77 C8 on an iOptron CEM25P

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:26 PM

My poor orange friend of more than forty years lost its drive motors to corrosion fifteen years ago... and it's been putting up with being piloted only by its slow-motion controls since then. Adding insult to injury... ten years ago, its tripod was stolen. So for all that time, it's been embarrassingly reduced to "table-top" duty.

However, having recently acquired a CEM25P for my ES102CF APO -- and with invaluable input and encouragement from Ladyhawke and terraclarke -- I invested in an ADM Vixen dovetail adapter and a Farpoint dew shield... and it made my friend so happy, I had to take a photo. Total weight of the OTA as pictured is only 13.2 pounds, so the 25P handles it beautifully.

C8 on iOptron CEM25P.jpg

I still have the original 40mm and 25mm Kellners that came with it, along with a 10mm and 6mm Clave Plossl and a 15.5mm Meade that were acquired shortly thereafter. The pinch-grip eyepiece tube on the diagonal is worrisomely weak, so I use elastic hair-ties to keep its grip firmed up... but now that I'll be using it far more frequently, I may need to invest in a new 1.25" diagonal. Any suggestions?

• zjc26138, rolo, eros312 and 11 others like this

#2 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:23 PM

It looks great Terry! Now you can once again feed her regular doses of photons! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

• rolo, Defenderslideguitar and B 26354 like this

#3 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Apollo

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:32 PM

Nice setup, that’s a good mount for a C8.  After all it’s been through, ir deserves it!

• rolo, Defenderslideguitar and B 26354 like this

#4 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:50 PM

It looks like the C8 and the CEM25 were made for each other. You know, iOptron sells a counter weight that also doubles as a battery, I love it. For the folks that observe only, it means completely wire free!

• Exnihilo, Defenderslideguitar and B 26354 like this

#5 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Aurora

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:29 PM

Diagonal:

Modern choices include prism, enhanced, and dielectric. In an f/10 system you can do good any of the 3.

You might want to check out modern diagonals with locking rings, or SCT thread-on diagonals. Or, check the CN classifieds if you want to save money.

If you really want to treat yourself get a 2" diagonal and a Panoptic 35mm.

#6 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:18 AM

It looks like the C8 and the CEM25 were made for each other. You know, iOptron sells a counter weight that also doubles as a battery, I love it. For the folks that observe only, it means completely wire free!

Thanks, Sam!

I've looked at that battery C/W, and it's definitely a consideration for the future, when I start venturing out toward the dark areas near Joshua Tree. For now, all my observing is done from my driveway, so I already have extension chords running from sockets on the outside of my house to my setup (EQ drive; red LED desk-lamp map-light; camera; auto-guider/scope [in November]).

#7 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:20 AM

Diagonal:

Modern choices include prism, enhanced, and dielectric. In an f/10 system you can do good any of the 3.

You might want to check out modern diagonals with locking rings, or SCT thread-on diagonals. Or, check the CN classifieds if you want to save money.

If you really want to treat yourself get a 2" diagonal and a Panoptic 35mm.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I thought about replacing its 1.25" visual back with a 2" one, since doing so would allow me to use the 2" diagonal from the ES102CF. And I'd also be able to use my 2" ES 68° 40mm... but since that's the only 2" eyepiece I have, I don't feel the need for the 2" back right now.

Along with the narrow AFOV eyepieces I originally mentioned, I have four other ES 82° ones as well... all of which have 1.25" barrels. And while a 2" back would probably be handy for photography -- since I'm already using 2" camera-adapters for the refractor -- I don't really intend to use the C8 for anything but visual.

#8 SandyC8

SandyC8

Vostok 1

• Loc: Gallatin TN

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:16 AM

Hi...Looks great. I have a C8 edge that I would like to attach to my CEM25P. When you get a minute, can you tell me what you used to attach the C8 to the CEM25?

It would certainly save me some research and phone calls....:-)

Thank you.....

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#9 B 26354

B 26354

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:33 AM

Hi...Looks great. I have a C8 edge that I would like to attach to my CEM25P. When you get a minute, can you tell me what you used to attach the C8 to the CEM25?

It would certainly save me some research and phone calls....:-)

Thank you.....

No problem! This worked beautifully for my '77 C8:

https://www.highpoin...tron-c8-sct-vc8

It might be worthwhile for you to call them, though... just to make certain that it will adapt to whatever mounting holes are in your C8 Edge. Also... feel free to PM me, if you want. I'll be back at my computer in about five hours. grin.gif

#10 astronz59

astronz59

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:22 AM

I dun it too.......lol.gif

C8_2.JPG C8.JPG

• Augustus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics