•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How good are the Vixen SLVs?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Ponder

Dave Ponder

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Greenville, SC

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:20 AM

Several years ago, the Vixen LVs were my favorite. Now of course, they are only available used.  Looking at the SLVs.  Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks!

Edited by Dave Ponder, 17 May 2018 - 11:24 AM.

#2 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Apollo

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:43 AM

Hi, Dave.

I think that the reviews of the Vixen SLVs below may be of your interest:

https://stargazerslo...-12mm-and-20mm/

https://www.cloudyni...-slv-eyepieces/

#3 nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:44 AM

NLVs? Could the ones that you call that way be the current SLVs? I guess so. The SLVs are also made of Lanthanum glass like the discontinued NLVs. However, if we take a close look at the barrel design of the SLVs, we'll realize that they are similar to the NPLs. 

https://agenaastro.c...iece-37207.html

https://agenaastro.c...l-eyepiece.html

Weren't the original LV and then the NLV series made in Japan, whereas the current SLV are of Chinese origin?  

In any event, I have vague recollections of a thread a while back which outlined the subtle differences between the various generations of the original LV and the subsequent NLV.   IIRC there were some favorable comments on the SLV.

#4 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Apollo

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

Did you know that the SLVs are currently on sale at Agena and Eyepiecesetc?

#5 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Apollo

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:54 AM

Weren't the original LV and then the NLV series made in Japan, whereas the current SLV are of Chinese origin?  

In any event, I have vague recollections of a thread a while back which outlined the subtle differences between the various generations of the original LV and the subsequent NLV.   IIRC there were some favorable comments on the SLV.

Dave,

I deleted my post a few minutes ago because I misread one of the words. Istead of reading SLV, I read NLV. Don't ask me why because I really don't know. grin.gif

Anyway, I don't understand anything about them, except that they're Plössls. But it is hard to believe that they're not top quality 50° eyepieces. 

Are you aware of the new ES 52° eyepieces that will be available in August?

http://www.eyepieces...E_p/2107100.htm

#6 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Mariner 2

• Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:58 AM

I have the 4mm SLV that I used a lot with a 150, f/5 Newt.  It was very sharp.  At the time the only comparable EP in my collection was the ES 4.7.  I remember being able to split Rigel with both, but the "rays" emanating from the brighter star were much smaller with the SLV, and this made Rigel's faint companion much easier to see.

The field of view is narrow like a Plossl, but the eye relief is generous and very comfortable.  The SLV has a twist-up eye cup, the notches in the rubber prevent the EP from rolling when you set it down, and the barrels are smooth.

I like it a lot.

#7 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:03 PM

I have a SLV 2.5mm on the way from Agena. It was their last one. I will post here after a few weeks of use.

• rogeriomagellan likes this

#8 Dave Ponder

Dave Ponder

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:10 PM

Did you know that the SLVs are currently on sale at Agena and Eyepiecesetc?

Yes!!! That is why I have become more interested!

Thanks!

#9 Dave Ponder

Dave Ponder

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:12 PM

Dave,

I deleted my post a few minutes ago because I misread one of the words. Istead of reading SLV, I read NLV. Don't ask me why because I really don't know. grin.gif

Anyway, I don't understand anything about them, except that they're Plössls. But it is hard to believe that they're not top quality 50° eyepieces. 

LOL!  My fault!  I first typed "NLV" and after seeing my post, I did edit it to read "SLV"....

#10 Dave Ponder

Dave Ponder

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:14 PM

Dave,

Had no idea, thanks for the info!

#11 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Apollo

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:20 PM

LOL!  My fault!  I first typed "NLV" and after seeing my post, I did edit it to read "SLV"....

Really? I thought that my eyes were deceiving me. lol.gif

Edited by rogeriomagellan, 17 May 2018 - 12:26 PM.

#12 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Apollo

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:23 PM

Had no idea, thanks for the info!

You're welcome. Unfortunately, we don't know much about them yet. What I really would like to learn is if they are true 52° eyepieces or if they have more FOV and if they are somehow superior in performance to other Plössls, except TV ones, of course. 

Those links with reviews that I've posted will be of some help.

Are you looking for any specific focal length?

#13 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:13 PM

OK, Vixen SLVs.

I have a few comments because I've used a set of them for a while in my 4" apo.

1) they are not good eyepieces for Moon viewing.  There is a shiny spacer inside the eyepiece that reflects the moon's image

upside down, but bright, outside the field stop.  As the scope scans, the image goes backwards relative to the main image.

You can ignore it, I suppose, but I couldn't.

2) The eye relief is long!  If you view without glasses, you will want the eyecups all the way up to find the exit pupil consistently.

3) They're sharp.  Being Chinese is no disadvantage here.  No focal length was obviously soft, though I never got a night where the 2.5mm

was really sharp--just too much magnification (71x/inch).

4) they don't roll when you set them down sideways, like on a table.  I do that a lot with eyepieces so they don't dew up between uses.

That was a nice touch, but may be unimportant for most people.

5) there are NO safety undercut grooves in the barrels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm shocked, but pleased.  I was disappointed when Vixen later came out with the SSWs, and they did (boo-hoo).

6) they have a Plössl field of view, but a Pentax XW/TeleVue Delos eye relief--all the way down to 2.5mm.

7) lateral chromatic aberration varies among the focal lengths, but it is well-controlled, I thought.

8) lateral astigmatism is absent in my f/7 scope.  I can't bring myself to use them in my f/5.75 scope because I use 100-110° eyepieces in that one.

The field size is adequate in the short refractor, though.  It's possible they have induced astigmatism at f/5 and shorter, like the NLVs before them.

9) Axial sharpness is on a par with good Plössls.  Nothing remarkable, here, but nothing bad to report either.

10) Not every focal length had an equally-sharp field stop (don't ask, I can't remember which does and which doesn't).  It wasn't an issue in use.

11) They're very light--heavier than Plössls, but lighter than my Delites.

12) Because of the field of view, I view these as Long Eye Relief Plössls.  For someone who wears glasses, a great alternative.  OK without glasses too (raise the eyecup).

13) To my eye, there's less variation from eyepiece to eyepiece than some of the inexpensive 58-60° eyepieces.  They're a little more consistent across focal lengths.

14) I did not check the fit of filters because I used them in a 2" adapter with 2" filters threaded on the bottom of the adapter.

15) Did I mention they have no safety grooves in the barrels?flowerred.gif bow.gif

16) I didn't look for EOFB, but then I didn't notice any, either.

17) I also didn't experience and SAEP in any focal length.  I typically have issues with long eye relief eyepieces with blackouts, but that's not the same thing.

And, they're on sale through June at 35.5% off at all Vixen dealers.

Edited by Starman1, 17 May 2018 - 04:20 PM.

• Dave Ponder, John Huntley, David P and 3 others like this

#14 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Apollo

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

With Don's report, I guess you got a lot to think about, Dave Ponder.

#15 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Apollo

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

OK, Vixen SLVs.

1) they are not good eyepieces for Moon viewing.  There is a shiny spacer inside the eyepiece that reflects the moon's image

upside down, but bright, outside the field stop.  As the scope scans, the image goes backwards relative to the main image.

2) The eye relief is long!  If you view without glasses, you will want the eyecups all the way up to find the exit pupil consistently.

3) They're sharp.  Being Chinese is no disadvantage here.  No focal length was obviously soft, though I never got a night where the 2.5mm

4) they don't roll when you set them down sideways, like on a table.  I do that a lot with eyepieces so they don't dew up between uses.

5) there are NO safety undercut grooves in the barrels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm shocked, but pleased.  I was disappointed when Vixen later came out with the SSWs, and they did (boo-hoo).

6) they have a Plössl field of view, but a Pentax XW/TeleVue Delos eye relief--all the way down to 2.5mm.

7) lateral chromatic aberration varies among the focal lengths, but it is well-controlled, I thought.

8) lateral astigmatism is absent in my f/7 scope.  I can't bring myself to use them in my f/5.75 scope because I use 100-110° eyepieces in that one.

The field size is adequate in the short refractor, though.  It's possible they have induced astigmatism at f/5 and shorter, like the NLVs before them.

9) Axial sharpness is on a par with good Plössls.  Nothing remarkable, here, but nothing bad to report either.

10) Not every focal length had an equally-sharp field stop (don't ask, I can't remember which does and which doesn't).  It wasn't an issue in use.

12) Because of the field of view, I view these as Long Eye Relief Plössls.  For someone who wears glasses, a great alternative.  OK without glasses too (raise the eyecup).

13) To my eye, there's less variation from eyepiece to eyepiece than some of the inexpensive 58-60° eyepieces.  They're a little more consistent across focal lengths.

14) I did not check the fit of filters because I used them in a 2" adapter with 2" filters threaded on the bottom of the adapter.

15) Did I mention they have no safety grooves in the barrels?flowerred.gif bow.gif

17) I also didn't experience and SAEP in any focal length.  I typically have issues with long eye relief eyepieces with blackouts, but that's not the same thing.

Thanks for the input, Don.

#16 Dave Ponder

Dave Ponder

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:33 PM

You're welcome. Unfortunately, we don't know much about them yet. What I really would like to learn is if they are true 52° eyepieces or if they have more FOV and if they are somehow superior in performance to other Plössls, except TV ones, of course. 

Those links with reviews that I've posted will be of some help.

Are you looking for any specific focal length?

...the ones shorter than 10mm...

#17 Dave Ponder

Dave Ponder

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:36 PM

OK, Vixen SLVs.

Wow Don!  Now this is great info!  I sure appreciate it! Is Vixen just having a great sale or are they closing out this line? Much thanks!

Edited by Dave Ponder, 17 May 2018 - 05:44 PM.

• rogeriomagellan likes this

#18 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:42 PM

Just a great sale.  I haven't heard about discontinuing them.

#19 Dave Ponder

Dave Ponder

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

Just a great sale.  I haven't heard about discontinuing them.

Good to know, thanks!

#20 Simon B

Simon B

Mariner 2

• Loc: Vancouver, BC

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:51 PM

I haven't tested mine as rigorously as the knowledgeable Don here, but I agree with most of his findings... they are well corrected for many aberrations, including lateral CA, astigmatism, and field curvature especially. They produce a much flatter field than generic plossls in my ST80

Angular mag. and rectilinear distortions are also fairly absent...  The exit pupil is very easy to find and hold, NO blackouts whatsoever. Very user-friendly eyepiece; easy and comfortable to look through for extended periods of time. Smooth barrels, threaded for 1.25" filters. Plus, they just look so cool

The only bad thing is they didn't make an SLV 30!

• Starman1, John Huntley and rogeriomagellan like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics