•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

help with powerguide 3

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Zicherja

Zicherja

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:43 AM

Another newbie question I'm afraid.  

I just set up my Tristand and mounted my new Questar to it this am for the first time.  I figured I would play with the powerguide for the first time.

I followed the directions to the best of my ability (althought the directions were really written for the powerguide 2 and the manual that came with the powerguide 3 really just discusses the various menu options.

In short, after plugging the adaptors in the questar, the port on the the Powerguide 3, I was never able to detect any motion or hear anything internally that would suggest it was working.  I tried holding the x5 speed button down and still nothing.

Is this normal? Should you be able to detect motion in the right ascension axis. When the weather clears, I  will bring out the scope, and try to detect movement through the eyepiece.

Thanks.

Jason

#2 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Apollo

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

With the 16mm eyepiece you have a field of view of about 1/2 degree.  360 degrees/24hours = 15 degrees per hour, or 4 minutes per degree.

Set to view a stationary object, it should move from the center of the field to the edge in about a minute.

There are discussions elsewhere about getting the right initial settings, which is likely the easily-solved problem.

Note that timing a transit with and without the internal Barlow engaged is a good way to determine your Barlow's magnification.  (So's viewing a ruler).

#3 Zicherja

Zicherja

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:26 PM

should you hear clicking or a timer mechanism when it is plugged in or should it be completely silent?

#4 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, NZ

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:43 PM

My PG-3 does make noises when it starts up. It also moves a few arc minutes and hums when the motors engage before settling.

Have you got the cord in the AZ jack point on the hand controller??

#5 Zicherja

Zicherja

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2018 - 12:50 PM

I  have the cord in the jack on the side of the hand controller. I believe it is unlabeled. Why would it be the az jack, when I want it to track in right ascension?  

I must be missing something.

Jason

Edited by Zicherja, 17 May 2018 - 12:52 PM.

#6 Billydee

Billydee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:28 PM

Jason,

These may help:  They are both multi page posts.

https://www.cloudyni...g#82083=&page=2

https://www.cloudyni.../?hl= pg#82083=

I believe Az is the correct port.  Check the manual The Azimuth Knob controls the Right Ascension.  The Altitude Knob controls the Declination.

The unmarked one is for future use.

Bill

Edited by Billydee, 17 May 2018 - 04:38 PM.

#7 JHollJr

JHollJr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:35 PM

Another newbie question I'm afraid.  

I just set up my Tristand and mounted my new Questar to it this am for the first time.  I figured I would play with the powerguide for the first time.

I followed the directions to the best of my ability (althought the directions were really written for the powerguide 2 and the manual that came with the powerguide 3 really just discusses the various menu options.

In short, after plugging the adaptors in the questar, the port on the the Powerguide 3, I was never able to detect any motion or hear anything internally that would suggest it was working.  I tried holding the x5 speed button down and still nothing.

Is this normal? Should you be able to detect motion in the right ascension axis. When the weather clears, I  will bring out the scope, and try to detect movement through the eyepiece.

Thanks.

Jason

Not hearing any sound is normal. Set it up and align it on a target through any eyepiece and then come back in 10 minutes and you will see that there was motion. I had to do the same thing. Just a warning, I had plugged the cord in the wrong port on the hand control at first and when I posted a picture here, one of the members told me so. Make sure that you have the cord in the port farthest to the left on the bottom of the handcontroller. Then watch it zoom away, but don’t listen for the zoom.

#8 jag32

jag32

Viking 1

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:03 PM

What are the various options inside the PG3 controller?

#9 Kevin Barker

Kevin Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, NZ

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:10 PM

Jason,

These may help:  They are both multi page posts.

https://www.cloudyni...g#82083=&page=2

https://www.cloudyni.../?hl= pg#82083=

I believe Az is the correct port.  Check the manual The Azimuth Knob controls the Right Ascension.  The Altitude Knob controls the Declination.

The unmarked one is for future use.

Bill

Yes

I have the manual somewhere. My PG 3 works great and the cord is in the AZ Jack.

If Zicherja does this it should work and track in RA.

Kevin

#10 JHollJr

JHollJr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:55 PM

What are the various options inside the PG3 controller?

Across the bottom there are ports labeled USB, AZ, EL, AutoGuide, Encoder. The cable goes in the AZ as Kevin indicated.

#11 Zicherja

Zicherja

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:55 PM

thanks for all the help. I'll try this later tonight or tomorrow.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics