•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Calling all Edmund 8" grey Gem scope info

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#76 apfever

apfever

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 08 February 2019 - 02:55 PM

This is what's left after the 3 installed drives. The large RA circles will go with the 8" mount. The aluminum plate was going to get 2 full size circles cut to back up the RA and DEC circles but the RA was never designed to work 100% correctly. The circle on the right has all the stuff for the brass clock gear attachment Robert showed pictures of. Both gear and a pointer rotate with the shaft - duh?  The bore on this circle was already set for the special adapter and I had the right O ring so it's all installed. This circle has original print showing under the Edmund print, and was the face plate of an aircraft airspeed indicator. Likely an Edmund Govt. surplus purchase. It would be interesting to know what airplane. 

The large Left RA circle is bored for the rubber grommet originally used on the DEC circle. This one would have to be bored out more to fit on the machined end of the RA housing. This set up has the pointer turn backwards against the fixed circle. 

I'm not going to do all this for looks. I will likely remove the DEC circle as well for safe storage with the others in the 'original parts' box. No one uses these to the extent that it makes sense to leave them out. They are delicate and the good two are basically perfect. The DEC could be set, and the RA could be used for careful star hopping, but better safe than flashy. Do you use them?  Finish them for a picture? I'll pass that on.

Attached Thumbnails

• P2080024 - Copy.JPG

• steve t and TOM KIEHL like this

#77 apfever

apfever

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:16 PM

Tons of pictures but other things to catch up on.

The previous picture shows the Dremmel and a thin silver rod next to the black screwdriver handle. That's a diamond hone. It only takes a few seconds to hone out a washer, the system is crazy finger friendly. I went all out all stainless, some washer size for looks others for function,put one on the electrical cord bracket bolt, all the grinding contacts on the mount as well pretty much. The 3 mounted motors are only lubed inside, original white Lubriplate. Outsides are a dry assembly or dry lube to control dust. All rust protected but not much rusting left, all stainless hardware down to the worm set screws, extreme. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P2060019 - Copy.JPG

• steve t likes this

#78 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 February 2019 - 03:28 PM

. This circle has original print showing under the Edmund print, and was the face plate of an aircraft airspeed indicator. Likely an Edmund Govt. surplus purchase. It would be interesting to know what airplane. 

Actually Neil not any specific airplane . They were a early manual or analog computer . Handheld ! ....Here  is a government issue ,  as Edmund would of acquired them prior to Edmund Mods . Note the use of two disks one smaller than the other . Hence the two different sizes of Edmund setting circles that were available back in the day .  

Attached Thumbnails

• A19760955000PS2011-04049.jpg
  • IMG_5398.jpg
  • IMG_5438.jpg
  • IMG_5440.jpg

• steve t likes this

#79 apfever

apfever

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:13 PM

Excellent work Tom. I was able to match the lettering on each side of the hole.

• TOM KIEHL likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics