•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

End of Books?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 Mark F

Mark F

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:06 PM

I am old school.

Books.

• RogerLaureys, Mike E., bumm and 1 other like this

#27 Crusty99

Crusty99

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:31 AM

I am too.

Now what are we to do with our books and optics?

fingertap.gif

• Mark F likes this

#28 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:50 PM

I used to have a huge library. But after too many moves I decided to go digital. It is too much of a hassle moving books around. It is Kindle and Nook for me.... 

#29 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:28 PM

I recently inventoried my library: roughly 1,900 volumes on 26 shelves. I buy about 150-200 books per year, perhaps a third new and the rest in estate sales or used book stores.

Ouch! I presume you realize that if you don't get rid of any books, your collection will double in just 9 to 13 years. Think what will happen in the next 30 years. I hope real estate is cheap in your neck of the woods, because you will be devoting more space to books than to people by then.

My wife and I have about 2,000 books on 8 bookcases, but we're working hard to get rid of them. Just gave away a couple of cartons two months ago -- I feel very virtuous. The irony is that I know that I will never again crack the covers of at least 90% of the books that I own. The hard part, of course, is identifying which are the remaining 10%.

I tried to impose a rule on my wife that she should never buy another book without first identifying which book to get rid of to make space -- but she balked. We make strenuous efforts to avoid buying books, but of course it does happen sometimes anyway. And we get some as gifts.

• LB16europe likes this

#30 MG1692

MG1692

Viking 1

• Loc: Western Kansas

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:48 PM

I used to have a library with about three thousand volumes in it. When I moved to the US I gave all of it away to friends charities etc. Since being in the US I have been 100% digital. I was genuinely surprised how easily I adapted

As for books are dead. The call center I work for has 21 agents. The split between paper and electronic is almost 50/50 and definitely not divided along age lines either.

I think it all comes down to preference. The tactile sensation of the book vs the convenience of the electronic device. But ya know what, anything that gets people reading, no matter the form.............is a great thing!

#31 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:36 PM

When I travel I buy books to remember my travels.

However, for the first time I was not able to find any WDW books in any of the souvenior stores at Walt Disney World (WDW); especialy nothing having the new land Pandora or soon to open Toy Story Land.
In the past they would have soft cover souvenior books by every cash register, and thicker more expensive hard cover books at the main gift shops. Now there are none to be seen.

When in Disneyland for the 60th Aniversary, I was able to buy one online with the original (cheaper non-limited pre-60th anniversary) cover.

I believe this is proof, books are on their way out. People just prefer to take their own or purchase photo packages, and prefer not to have paper books to read.

Whatever makes you happy. Me personally, I hate digital and always will. It’s like holding emptiness in your hands.

• RogerLaureys, Edrow10, BillShort and 4 others like this

#32 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:39 PM

Whatever makes you happy. Me personally, I hate digital and always will. It’s like holding emptiness in your hands.

My comment was I seached for souvioneer book(s) that used to be visible at every shop cashier counter, and unlike past years this year none could be found in any of their stores.

Finding and buying an up to date WDW book with new Pandora land would have made me very happy. I couldn't even find an out of date pre-Pandora WDW book, nor any WD book for that matter.

Which led me to the potential conclusion, "I believe this is proof, books are on their way out. People just prefer to take their own or purchase photo packages, and prefer not to have paper books to read.", and posted to see if other book lovers have been noticing this trend.
This isn't the first time a media form I liked declined and/or vanished (quadraphonic tapes, records (some clasics making a comeback), many forms of computer software/file formats, super 8, photographic film and development (lots of undeveloped film), and now less choices of printed books.

#33 Mike E.

Mike E.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:51 AM

Never heard it said better. smile.png

• Daniel Mounsey, bumm and faackanders2 like this

#34 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Treehouse Observatory

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:20 AM

I love books, but use the kindle far more. Arthritis has made holding all but a the smallest and lightest of books uncomfortable.
The crowded bookcase is functionally idle, but it's difficult to part with old friends, and references where you know the exact spot to find a quote or needed information.
The digital reader is light, and with my classic tastes, provides a huge library, essentially free .
Both have their place, and change to a newer format can be difficult especially with all the emotional attachment involved in reading and sharing literature.
  • bumm, clearwaterdave and Crusty99 like this

#35 Crusty99

Crusty99

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:16 AM

I enjoy returning to my beloved old books and reading those notes I wrote in the margins from previous years. Actually brings back the memories and more from those years.

• Daniel Mounsey, Vesper818, bumm and 1 other like this

#36 starquake

starquake

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 47.114740, 18.241846

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:30 PM

I have only about 400 astronomy theme books, and perhaps the same number in other topics (mostly gardening). Had one pdf book once (legally downloaded), I liked it so I bought the real thing as soon as possible. I look at a screen for 8-9 hours a day as a system programmer, so I try to minimize that outside my office hours. Actually even when I'm having lunch in the office, I'm reading paper books. My colleagues usually stare at me like I'm some weirdo, or a time traveller. Sometimes it feels uncomfortable. I have enough digital content at my work, I love to live an old school life. And hey, just by looking at my bookshelves, I feel so happy and satisfied.
  • bumm likes this

#37 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:47 PM

I look at a screen for 8-9 hours a day as a system programmer, so I try to minimize that outside my office hours.

I hate computer screens, but I love my Kindle Paperwhite. Vastly easier on the eyes. And much easier to read in bed than either a computer or a paper book.

#38 faackanders2

faackanders2

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:18 PM

In my search for a WDW souvenior book, I actually ordered and received one that showed concepts of Animal Kingdom before it was officially opened.
It also showed the first US water park - River Country which we loved, and Discovery Island both of which are closed now.

A farcry form the desired WDW souvenior book with the latest addition to Animal Kingdom - Avatar Pandora Land.

But it was fun to see and read nevertheless.

#39 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:41 PM

In my search for a WDW souvenior book, I actually ordered and received one that showed concepts of Animal Kingdom before it was officially opened.
It also showed the first US water park - River Country which we loved, and Discovery Island both of which are closed now.

A farcry form the desired WDW souvenior book with the latest addition to Animal Kingdom - Avatar Pandora Land.

But it was fun to see and read nevertheless.

I must admit that prior to reading your original post, souvenir books were off my radar; I was only hazily aware that they existed. It would be interesting to see if the demise of the Walt Disney World souvenir book is mirrored by souvenir books in other venues, and if so, what has taken their place.

It would be rash to generalize from one specific genre to literature as a whole. Souvenir books are obviously pretty far off the mainstream, with highly specialized markets. Moreover, the electronic revolution has affected different genres very differently. It's a fair bet that encyclopedia sales have dropped to near zero -- as well they might. Wikipedia is far better than any print encyclopedia, takes up no space on your bookshelves, and is free. But as far as I can tell, romance and thrillers are still going as strong as ever -- though perhaps they have migrated somewhat to electronic delivery.

There is a certain irony in your complaint, however, in that one might reasonably view Walt Disney as Book Slayer Number One. Any injury that has been done to reading by the advent of computers and smart phones is trivial compared to the harm that was done when traditional children's books were replaced by television.

In some ways, I think that smart phones have actually increased literacy. Children today write far more words in the form of text messages than children ever wrote in my day in all forms combined. Granted, the language of texting is non-standard -- but it's still written language.

Edited by Tony Flanders, 07 June 2018 - 09:10 PM.

#40 gazerjim

gazerjim

Cosmos

• Loc: n-dimensional space

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:00 AM

I hate computer screens, but I love my Kindle Paperwhite. Vastly easier on the eyes. And much easier to read in bed than either a computer or a paper book.

I don't work with computers professionally.  But I have the same subjective feeling about an actively vs passively lighted medium.  There is an "in your face" quality about lighted screens that detracts from relaxed reading enjoyment. A personal quirk of mine, possibly.

#41 Alen K

Alen K

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:51 PM

I'm of two minds on this issue. I do have probably around one hundred hard cover books and a few hundred paperbacks (the latter is mostly collector s-f in acid free bags) that I collected over the last 40+ years. I once had more but I'm down to those I won't get rid of. However, I have an even bigger collection of digital books, mostly PDF and some ebooks. I read them on an iPad for the most part. The convenience is unbeatable and they take up a LOT less space. 

With magazines I am not so maudlin. I have been actively reducing my magazine collection, in some cases cutting out the pages of articles in issues that don't have anything else worth keeping in them and recycling the remainder. But the easy availability of digital scans of back issues of magazines (e.g., Sky and Telescope) means that for me keeping any hard copy of magazines makes increasingly less sense. Some magazines I read today, I see only the digital versions.  

#42 Plains Dweller

Plains Dweller

Sputnik

Posted 11 June 2018 - 10:05 PM

A few quotes from Ray Bradbury on the subject;

"A book has got smell. A new book smells great. An old book smells even better. An old book smells like ancient Egypt."

" E-books smell like burned fuel."

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them."

• Daniel Mounsey, Vesper818, starquake and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics