•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

What kind of balancing system do you use?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 April 2004 - 08:51 PM

What kind of balancing system do you guys use? And what kind of equipment have you added to your scope where you felt you needed a balancing system?

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 03 April 2004 - 08:56 PM

There are two popular systems for that telescope. The economical one is from www.scopestuff.com . The exotic one is from www.losmandy.com .

I have used the Scopestuff ones to compensate for heavy hardware at the back (big eyepieces or cameras) or for heavy stuff on top (piggyback scopes). They don't help side-to-side balance but I've never had a severe imbalance to one side anyway.

#3 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

Posted 03 April 2004 - 11:01 PM

I use the Losmandy WS C11/M10 - and I bought a 5 lb weight - the furnished 2.5# isn't quite enough with binoviewers, aftermarket finder, 2"adaptor/Crayford, etc.

The standard Losmandy can give better vertical balance, but with the dumbell adaptors, the Scopestuff can do the same, making the prices about the same.

#4 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 03 April 2004 - 11:07 PM

I use the Losmandy system as well. Very solid and looks good too.

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2004 - 12:44 PM

I have the Losmandy System too, I've added a 2 inch diagonal, a 2 inch EP, and a 8x50 right angle finder, and this made my scope pretty back heavy. The thing is, I have to screw the weight almost to the scope tube, and position the weight rod between my forks to get balance, and then the balance is only good from about 30 degrees to 80 degrees, which isn't bad since thats where the tube is usually pointing when observing. The Losmandy system with the 2.5 lb weight must be designed to counterbalance a lot of equipment, because I could have got better balance I think if I would have had a 1 lb weight. Does anyone make a 1 lb weight for the Losmandy system?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics