•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron C90 Registry

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#126 Alec

Alec

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 August 2020 - 08:10 AM

I have just bought a C90 500/5.6 telescope on eBay. Then I found this forum. Seems like a good idea to add mine to the registry.

The 'scope is still in the mail system, and I can't read the serial number from the listing pics, but here is a pic from the listing to go on with. (first time trying to add a pic so let's see what happens)

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Alec, 20 August 2020 - 08:11 AM.

#127 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:54 PM

I just sold # 95438 to a non - CN member. I know where it is going but maybe it should just be noted in the registry that it has been sold.

It's not that I was unhappy with it, but I am trying to follow the "one in, one out" rule, and i am hopefully picking up another telescope on Saturday.

I just picked this one up this afternoon. Bought it on Kijiji Ottawa for CAD $75.00. The seller had never used it, they received it as part payment for another sale. It looks to be in good shape, and the focusing is smooth. There is a diagonal with a single eyepiece, but no case or lens caps or tripod / mount. Apart from  those missing items, priorities include additional eyepieces and adapters to allow use wth a Nikon DSLR. Any suggestions are more than welcome. Primary use will be as a grab-and-go astronomical telescope, secondarily as a terrestrial spotting scope and telephoto lens.

Edited by Senex Bibax, 01 September 2020 - 01:57 PM.

#128 Alec

Alec

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:22 PM

My Celestron C90 mirror lens arrived today, looking as-new.
Serial number is 500873
Optics (?) number is 0426
But now I don't know how to connect a finder or a camera to it ? There is just a male thread sticking out the back, about 35mm OD. All my fittings, adapters are T2 or M42.

#129 houndsbourgh

houndsbourgh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Hailey, Idaho

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:46 AM

C90 T-adapter takes you from the scope to the ring. Not to hard to fined. Here on the classifieds or eBay. I can post a picture later if you need it.

#130 Alec

Alec

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 September 2020 - 08:11 AM

C90 T-adapter takes you from the scope to the ring. Not to hard to fined. Here on the classifieds or eBay. I can post a picture later if you need it.

Thanks, I have ordered one, part number 93635-A, from AliExpress (cheapest with shipping to NZ).

Cheers,

#131 Kerbal01

Kerbal01

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:31 PM

I have just bought a Mirror Lens C90 SN 95484, its black. Any ballpark on date of manufacture?

Edited by Kerbal01, 18 October 2020 - 08:32 PM.

#132 ALman

ALman

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Christchurch NZ

Posted 19 October 2020 - 12:05 AM

Wow.  It's great that you guys are gathering this info. When I get home from holiday I will be sure to add my C90 to the list.

#133 Kerbal01

Kerbal01

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 October 2020 - 07:25 PM

I saw an orange tube C90 SN 9833 on Ebay last week. Sold for $76, would have gotten it if I didn't already have one. 

#134 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 06 November 2020 - 04:04 PM

1983 Spotter

IMG_7340.JPEG

IMG_7341.JPEG

• Terra Nova, patrickt and Senex Bibax like this

#135 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 November 2020 - 06:52 PM

I have just bought a Mirror Lens C90 SN 95484, its black. Any ballpark on date of manufacture?

That is very close to the one I sold in September, #95438

#136 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 November 2020 - 09:59 PM

Announcement:

After exchanging several PMs with Masvingo, and with his permission, I will be attempting to maintain the C90 registry while he is absent from the forums. 

He's been pre-occupied by local events, and is unlikely to resume his preferred activity level for the foreseeable future. It is my hope that in participating this way, I can reduce the burden on him of returning. What he elects to do is entirely up to him, and my plan is to return maintenance to him as soon as he likes. He is also free to delegate a different maintainer, should that be desired at any point.

I included the forum Moderator when concocting this plan for the C8 registry, and was encouraged to work it out with Masvingo directly - which it was.

Format:   I'd intended to electronically use Masvingo's spreadsheet as a start, but it has not turned out. Instead I've ended up re-entering the data from his last published version manually. I still hope to be able avoid manual entry of the C5 registry, but we'll see. For the time being, let's work together to check the re-entered C90 Registry file and then I'll update it with changes posted since Masvingo's last update - June 6, 2020.

What I would ask of those of you who have participated, is that you help out by comparing Masvingo's last published version with mine, and submit my errors so that they can be corrected. Once we believe it to be faithful enough, I will proceed. You may post changes here in this thread (my preference), or PM me.

Please be strict in your posts. I have deliberately attempted to re-enter the data as I found it. I have duplicated capitalization, spelling errors, and even contextual errors as they were. If I failed in this, your corrections to me will be appreciated. The spirit is - to duplicate the original as closely as possible. This approach should make handing back easier - whenever and however that occurs.

The only variation you should find is in the header line about version reference.

I will be offering two editions of publication for now. A JPG image just as Masvingo has done, plus a PDF. These should be identical, so they won't need to be checked against one another.

For the coming week, I will be attempting to enter corrections as quickly as they are posted, and you'll hear from me as updates are included. Hopefully, this will help to avoid duplicate correction posts. (the primary reason to post potential changes in this thread)

Thanks for your understanding, and your assistance.

• ANM likes this

#137 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 November 2020 - 04:12 PM

Thank you for your submissions and updates since 6 June, 2020.

Alec, Senex Bibax, Kerbal01, and Augustus - your scopes have been added or updated based upon your comments. Please review the changes for me, it's only my second time.

The new Registry with these additions is offered in JPG and PDF.

Note:

I  continue to offer the original conversion of Masvingo's last June 6 version of the registry for comparison so those of you who may be reviewing the new spreadsheet may continue to correct me. Download that conversion (without updates) in JPG or PDF. This note will disappear once no errors are found for a month. Until then, corrections will be carried into both the original conversion, and the new Registry.

#138 Brisby2

Brisby2

Explorer 1

• Loc: Athens, GA

Posted 23 November 2020 - 12:58 PM

I've got a 1979 C90 orange spotter that picked up yesterday. It came with the original case, as well as the wedge, tripod, forks, and finderscope. Serial number is #92501.

Cd4zoRKA.jpeg

Edited by Brisby2, 23 November 2020 - 12:58 PM.

• mdowns, Terra Nova, ANM and 4 others like this

#139 shooze

shooze

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:09 PM

I've got a 1979 C90 orange spotter that picked up yesterday. It came with the original case, as well as the wedge, tripod, forks, and finderscope. Serial number is #92501.

attachicon.gifCd4zoRKA.jpeg

Wow, nice!!!  lucky you, that's a rare find!!

Edited by shooze, 23 November 2020 - 01:09 PM.

• Brisby2 likes this

#140 ANM

ANM

Mariner 2

• Loc: El Paso, Texas, USA, Earth, Sol system, Orion-Cygnus arm, Milkyway

Posted 23 November 2020 - 02:29 PM

Congratulations are in order! It is pretty rare to get it all in one package! They are a lot of fun!

• Brisby2 likes this

#141 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2020 - 02:56 PM

Congrats on a nice find. Indeed unusual to find the entire kit. Ordinarily, I'd have called that an "Astro" and not a "Spotter" - unless you believe the base is not original?

Dates from a motor might help to decide the matter, if there is doubt.

Also, it's usually possible to read the optics number thru the corrector edge without disassembly. [number legible when image flipped horizontally]  I'd like to record that when creating your registry entry if you don't mind.

• Brisby2 likes this

#142 Brisby2

Brisby2

Explorer 1

• Loc: Athens, GA

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:40 PM

Congrats on a nice find. Indeed unusual to find the entire kit. Ordinarily, I'd have called that an "Astro" and not a "Spotter" - unless you believe the base is not original?

Dates from a motor might help to decide the matter, if there is doubt.

Also, it's usually possible to read the optics number thru the corrector edge without disassembly. [number legible when image flipped horizontally]  I'd like to record that when creating your registry entry if you don't mind.

Whoops, you're probably right! When you log it into the registry you can list it as Astro instead of Spotter. C90s aren't scopes that I'm super familiar with. I just checked the optics number on the edge of the corrector and it reads 5584.

Edited by Brisby2, 23 November 2020 - 03:42 PM.

#143 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2020 - 05:19 PM

Thank you for your submissions and updates since Nov 12, 2020.

Brisby2 - your scope has been added. I have counted it as an Astro - FYI probably produced late in 77 or early 78.

Note:

I  continue to offer the original conversion of Masvingo's last June 6 version of the registry for comparison so those of you who may be reviewing the new spreadsheet may continue to correct me. Download that conversion (without updates) in JPG or PDF. This note will disappear once no errors are found for a month. Until then, corrections will be carried into both the original conversion, and the new Registry.

• Brisby2 likes this

#144 ANM

ANM

Mariner 2

Posted 25 November 2020 - 02:37 PM

Hi RSX11M+, at your convenience I have an orange C90 Astro that I would like to add to the database:

• S/N 907318
  • corrector number 7099
  • Celestron orange finder is 5x24, eyepiece barrel turned aluminum, not circle (V) or (T) but there is the greek letter Θ following the word JAPAN
  • black focuser ring
  • gold band
  • motor date is 5-79

Thanks!

#145 PlanetariumDude

PlanetariumDude

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 16 December 2020 - 01:40 AM

I just joined because I received an orange C90 that belonged to my wife’s grandfather, and would like to add it to the registry. This gentleman was obviously an early adopter as this will be the lowest serial number to date. He was into photography, not astronomy, so this is the Telephoto Lens version: S/N 9081 and Corrector #1146.

C90

#146 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 December 2020 - 08:20 AM

That is very close to the one I sold in September, #95438

****, I've been having second thoughts about having sold mine...

#147 RSX11M+

RSX11M+

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 December 2020 - 08:29 PM

Thank you for your submissions and updates since Nov 24, 2020.

ANM - Great find. These Astro C90s have been coming out of the woodwork lately, eh? Thanks for all those juicy details.

PlanetariumDude - confirmed, yours is the earliest production example of a C90 in the Registry at this time. (#81) I note that the next in the registry (#102) is also a Telephoto model. FYI - with that SN we would assume this is an f11 unit.

• PlanetariumDude likes this

#148 dannyleo

dannyleo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 December 2020 - 04:25 PM

Just found this site as I was trying to see about my C90.  I just sent an e-mail to Celestron.  Started out that I just wanted to buy a new finderscope mount since the scope was knocked over, but when I was looking for the number they requested, I also saw that an internal part appeared to have come loose in the last years.  I guess I can go ahead and take the opportunity to register my scope, 875338.  It appears almost exactly like what Uranotopia has in the first page post.  I've got several pics of the loose piece (sent to Celestron), but not sure how to post pics here.

Not sure if I'll have any luck, but quickly skimming the sites, it appears that in a worst case scenario, I could dismantle the scope and reattach the inner piece I'm referring to?  I tried finding a parts diagram online, but no luck.  I'd still need to order the originally requested finder scope mount, but that's not a stopper hopefully.  If I can't find my original finder scope, what power would you all recommend?  Not tied to Celestron, so anything would work.

Here's my e-mail, "Sirs:
In response to what appears to be an auto-generated reply, and to clarify, I was not originally asking for warranty or warranty claim.  I was willing to pay for a new finder scope mount, I just cannot find the piece listed on the Celestron web site.
In response to your request for more information, my wife and I estimate we bought the C90 around 2000 while I was serving in the military at Fort Bragg, NC.  Needless to say, after almost 20 permanent change of station moves over my career in the military, we can no longer locate any receipts and really can't tell you where or how we bought it.

Also in response to your questions, I looked through the Spotting Scope Instruction Manual, Accessory Catalog and on the case and the only numbers I could find were on the tripod mount appears to be the serial number, 875338.
While looking for the numbers, I noticed the Celestron Limited Warranty for the instrument's usable lifetime.  While initially I just wanted to buy a new finder scope mount and finder scope (unable to find), when inspecting the scope looking for a number per your request, I found what appears to be a dislodged, tubular ring inside the barrel assembly.  I've attached new pictures of it as it appears to have been originally glued to the back of the tube, but now you can see it is apparently stuck to the inside of the front, corrector lens.  At the rear of the scope in the center, you can see what appears to be where it was originally glued when it was manufactured.  So that appears to fall under the warranty.  It's also noted on some of the amateur astronomer C90 sites.
With all due respect and wishing you a Merry Christmas, I await your response.

Anybody want to guess what my chances are? smile.gif  I figure it all comes down to what Celestron calls "usable life". smile.gif

C90 dislodged center piece IMG_4149 reduced size.JPG C90 dislodged center piece IMG_4148 reduced size.JPG C90 center where 'glue' gave way IMG_4152 reduced size.JPG

Edited by dannyleo, 24 December 2020 - 04:27 PM.

#149 Uranotopia

Uranotopia

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Southwestern Germany and northwestern Kasakhstan (when on holidays)

Posted 26 December 2020 - 07:38 AM

Wow, pretty nice!
Congrats, such an old C90 Astro, seems to be in very good condition!

#150 ANM

ANM

Mariner 2

Posted 26 December 2020 - 10:19 AM

Just found this site as I was trying to see about my C90.  I just sent an e-mail to Celestron.  Started out that I just wanted to buy a new finderscope mount since the scope was knocked over, but when I was looking for the number they requested, I also saw that an internal part appeared to have come loose in the last years.  I guess I can go ahead and take the opportunity to register my scope, 875338.  It appears almost exactly like what Uranotopia has in the first page post.  I've got several pics of the loose piece (sent to Celestron), but not sure how to post pics here.

Not sure if I'll have any luck, but quickly skimming the sites, it appears that in a worst case scenario, I could dismantle the scope and reattach the inner piece I'm referring to?  I tried finding a parts diagram online, but no luck.  I'd still need to order the originally requested finder scope mount, but that's not a stopper hopefully.  If I can't find my original finder scope, what power would you all recommend?  Not tied to Celestron, so anything would work.

Here's my e-mail, "Sirs:
In response to what appears to be an auto-generated reply, and to clarify, I was not originally asking for warranty or warranty claim.  I was willing to pay for a new finder scope mount, I just cannot find the piece listed on the Celestron web site.
In response to your request for more information, my wife and I estimate we bought the C90 around 2000 while I was serving in the military at Fort Bragg, NC.  Needless to say, after almost 20 permanent change of station moves over my career in the military, we can no longer locate any receipts and really can't tell you where or how we bought it.

Also in response to your questions, I looked through the Spotting Scope Instruction Manual, Accessory Catalog and on the case and the only numbers I could find were on the tripod mount appears to be the serial number, 875338.
While looking for the numbers, I noticed the Celestron Limited Warranty for the instrument's usable lifetime.  While initially I just wanted to buy a new finder scope mount and finder scope (unable to find), when inspecting the scope looking for a number per your request, I found what appears to be a dislodged, tubular ring inside the barrel assembly.  I've attached new pictures of it as it appears to have been originally glued to the back of the tube, but now you can see it is apparently stuck to the inside of the front, corrector lens.  At the rear of the scope in the center, you can see what appears to be where it was originally glued when it was manufactured.  So that appears to fall under the warranty.  It's also noted on some of the amateur astronomer C90 sites.
With all due respect and wishing you a Merry Christmas, I await your response.

Anybody want to guess what my chances are? smile.gif  I figure it all comes down to what Celestron calls "usable life". smile.gif

attachicon.gifC90 dislodged center piece IMG_4149 reduced size.JPGattachicon.gifC90 dislodged center piece IMG_4148 reduced size.JPGattachicon.gifC90 center where 'glue' gave way IMG_4152 reduced size.JPG

A brief response:

Hi danny leo,

The displaced ring appears to be the plastic baffle for the secondary. Storage in a heated area can cause that.

The plastic baffle for the primary is melted from being used for solar observing with no visual filter on the front.

The finder scope and/or bracket is no longer available from C*, look in the CN classifieds and you will find one but you will have to act quickly.

The C90 needs to be disassembled cleaned and repaired, but anyone one with skills working with their hands AND using care with the optics can do the job. Search in the CN forums and you'll find what you need...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics