•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Telescope Warehouse 6x30mm RA Finder?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cometeer

Cometeer

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 23 May 2018 - 10:58 PM

I’m wondering if anyone has experience with the Telescope Warehouse (scopehed1) 6x30mm right angle finder. Looking for a lighter, more portable finder than the 8x50 Celestron finder I’m currently using and to complement a Rigel quickfinder. Is it worth getting or should I pay up for a Orion 6x30mm RA finder? Or should I just stick to a 50mm finder?

Also, could someone with the finder provide me with a measurement of its length? 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Cometeer, 23 May 2018 - 10:59 PM.

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Viking 1

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:27 AM

I would buy a 50-60 mm right angled finder with variable illuminated reticle. It is a God send for all manner of work. A recent example was when I needed to finish Polar alignment on my mount. The finder was centred on an object and the mount moved by an offset. I was able to mechanically move the mount back to the centre of the lighted reticle and the job was done. This would have been much harder if I had to gauge the centre of the field by eye.

The Altair RACI 60 mm is an excellent instrument- compact, high quality optics and superb reticle with variable brightness.

https://www.altairas...r-eyepiece.html

#3 Cometeer

Cometeer

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:34 AM

I would buy a 50-60 mm right angled finder with variable illuminated reticle. It is a God send for all manner of work. A recent example was when I needed to finish Polar alignment on my mount. The finder was centred on an object and the mount moved by an offset. I was able to mechanically move the mount back to the centre of the lighted reticle and the job was done. This would have been much harder if I had to gauge the centre of the field by eye.

The Altair RACI 60 mm is an excellent instrument- compact, high quality optics and superb reticle with variable brightness.

https://www.altairas...r-eyepiece.html

My 8x50 finder is illuminated and has polar circles built in, but for my simple alt-az needs, a non-illuminated finder will suffice. My main concern is how good the Telescope Warehouse 6x30mm finder is with respect to other 6x30 finders and with respect to 50mm finders.

I'm also trying to keep my setup compact, so I would prefer to avoid >30mm finders unless it's worth the extra aperture.

Edited by Cometeer, 24 May 2018 - 01:38 AM.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:15 AM

From the description of the finder:

"This has an erect image but it is mirror reversed so not totally correct, but the upright image is much nicer to view through than an upside down view.  This finder comes with a nice 3.5" tall bracket with mounting holes 7/8" apart for easy mounting.  The focusing is very easy.  Just rotate the eyepiece till the image is clear.  One reason is that the objective or 30mm lens in front is a single lens, the eyepiece is a simple huygens eyepiece with 2 lenses.  The view is much better than the standard 5x24MM finders.  But do not expect a view as nice as the $50 to $100 6x30 right angle finders."

https://shop.telesco...85&categoryId=8

- It's not an RACI finder..  

- It's a singlet objective with a two element eyepiece .

- It bolts on , no Synta finder dovetail .

I bought a finder that looks like that one some years ago . Bill's honest about it..  Buy a decent finder. 

Jon

• havasman and Cometeer like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics