•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best value 130-140mm Apos? Telescope Service opinion?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 johngwheeler

johngwheeler

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia: 33° 49' S / 151° 6' E

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:32 AM

I'm starting to look at 130-140mm Apo refractors, primarily as a visual instrument to compliment 8-10" reflectors, but with a capability as an imaging scope when fitted with a focal reducer.

Teleskop-Service seems to have a few options in this space that represent good value with the German 19% tax deducted. Does anyone have one of these?

Of their 130mm offerings, there seems to be a big price jump between the cheapest one with a 2.5" focuser, and the f/6.62 model with a 3" focuser, which is almost twice the price:

https://www.teleskop...PA-focuser.html  - 1595 Euro

https://www.teleskop...r---FPL-53.html  - 2015 Euro

https://www.teleskop...on-Focuser.html  - 2940 Euro

They are all triplets with at least one FPL-53 element.

Apart from the focusers and minor focal length difference, what are the differentiators?

What other scopes in this space are worth looking at? (bearing in mind that I'm in Australia and significant shipping and import duty charges will apply).

Thanks!

John.

#2 tonyt

tonyt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:53 AM

Since you're looking at that kind of scope John, I wouldn't go past the FLT132 in the IIS classifieds. It looks to be the later steel cell version and has the 3.5" FT. The owner has used it for imaging so you can get an idea of it's capability.

I had the same scope and the optics were excellent. Others have praised the optics in the steel celled version too.

• Kunama likes this

#3 johngwheeler

johngwheeler

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:50 AM

Since you're looking at that kind of scope John, I wouldn't go past the FLT132 in the IIS classifieds. It looks to be the later steel cell version and has the 3.5" FT. The owner has used it for imaging so you can get an idea of it's capability.

I had the same scope and the optics were excellent. Others have praised the optics in the steel celled version too.

Thanks for the heads-up Tony! I'll have a look. I have read some mixed reviews of William Optics in the past, though. Not sure if any of those comments apply to this model, or particular scope of course!

John.

#4 Kunama

Kunama

Soyuz

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:06 AM

I think the FLT132 currently being advertised would be a great scope and is well priced... 

#5 tonyt

tonyt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:10 AM

. I have read some mixed reviews of William Optics in the past, though. Not sure if any of those comments apply to this model, or particular scope of course!

John.

They don't. WO released some shockers back in 2008-09 with incorrect spacing producing severe spherical aberration. Subsequent scopes were pretty good and the steel celled version (from about 2013 on) are typically quite good.

• db2005 likes this

#6 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Always Mr. Random at every airport...

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:21 AM

I think buying pre-owned saves you some taxes when importing, correct?

I think GST is only applied to business sales - something to inquire about ...

#7 Element79

Element79

Messenger

• Loc: Mason. Ohio

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:59 AM

When I was researching to buy a 130mm to 140mm Apo last year the Telescope Express 130mm w/ FPL-53 stood out as the best value for the money.  My only concern at that time was if the "FPL-53" designation was correct or was it actually FPL-51, but other people have bought these since and confirmed that it was FPL-53.  I have not heard any negatives on these scopes.  Yes, there will probably be a customs fee but even with the added expense this would be the way I would go.

• SteveG and rogeriomagellan like this

#8 johngwheeler

johngwheeler

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:27 AM

I think buying pre-owned saves you some taxes when importing, correct?

I think GST is only applied to business sales - something to inquire about ...

That's correct, the GST will only apply on foreign imports (not sure whether it makes a difference if you're buying used or npt).

However, the used William Optics 132 advertised costs more than the baseline 2.5" focuser TS optics 130mm, even allowing for 10% duty & shipping. I'd also need to pay shipping from another state which would be at least AU$100. It's about the same cost as the 3.7" TS Optics 130mm.

I'm not sure buying a used item with no guarantee is really a better deal than a brand new one, unless it's a great deal for a superior product! For AU$2000, sure I'd take a chance :-)

#9 johngwheeler

johngwheeler

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:31 AM

When I was researching to buy a 130mm to 140mm Apo last year the Telescope Express 130mm w/ FPL-53 stood out as the best value for the money.  My only concern at that time was if the "FPL-53" designation was correct or was it actually FPL-51, but other people have bought these since and confirmed that it was FPL-53.  I have not heard any negatives on these scopes.  Yes, there will probably be a customs fee but even with the added expense this would be the way I would go.

Any idea how good their packaging is? 

I bought a Takahashi a couple of years ago, and it arrived in 3 layers of boxes with polystyrene crumple zones in between each one. Really impressive packaging! Made it look like I'd bought a 150mm scope instead of a 100mm :-)

#10 rogeriomagellan

rogeriomagellan

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:05 AM

John,

You can get hundreds of reviews by visiting the link below:

https://www.cloudyni...leskop-express/

#11 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Always Mr. Random at every airport...

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:06 AM

That's correct, the GST will only apply on foreign imports (not sure whether it makes a difference if you're buying used or npt).

However, the used William Optics 132 advertised costs more than the baseline 2.5" focuser TS optics 130mm, even allowing for 10% duty & shipping. I'd also need to pay shipping from another state which would be at least AU$100. It's about the same cost as the 3.7" TS Optics 130mm.

I'm not sure buying a used item with no guarantee is really a better deal than a brand new one, unless it's a great deal for a superior product! For AU$2000, sure I'd take a chance :-)

I buy a ton of stuff from TS, including scopes. Never got anything defective...

• premk19 and dagadget like this

#12 johngwheeler

johngwheeler

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:37 AM

John,

You can get hundreds of reviews by visiting the link below:

https://www.cloudyni...leskop-express/

Thanks; just started reading this mamoth 18-page thread...opinion seems positive!

#13 johngwheeler

johngwheeler

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:45 AM

Any thoughts on the differences between the three 130mm scopes that TS offer?

The f/6.62 is too expensive, but the only difference between the other 2 would appear to be the focusers - or am I missing something?

#14 Element79

Element79

Messenger

• Loc: Mason. Ohio

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:17 AM

Yep.  The only difference between the two f/7s is the focuser diameter.  If I remember it was a couple of hundred dollars more for the 3.7" focuser, and if you ever plan to do any photography or sell the scope that will be a big bonus...

• manfromplanetx and Auburn80 like this

#15 IMB

IMB

Messenger

• -----

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:15 PM

Any idea how good their packaging is? 

I bought a Takahashi a couple of years ago, and it arrived in 3 layers of boxes with polystyrene crumple zones in between each one. Really impressive packaging! Made it look like I'd bought a 150mm scope instead of a 100mm :-)

Last September I bought a 120 mm telescope from Teleskop Service. Their packaging was superb: the scope was triple-boxed.

• SteveG likes this

#16 johngwheeler

johngwheeler

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

Yep.  The only difference between the two f/7s is the focuser diameter.  If I remember it was a couple of hundred dollars more for the 3.7" focuser, and if you ever plan to do any photography or sell the scope that will be a big bonus...

Thanks. The difference is 420 Euros which is nearly $AU650 - quite a big uptick in price.

I’m wondering if this is really necessary for my camera - ASI1600MM with APS-C sized sensor?

I doubt the camera, filter & OAG weight more than 2.5kg, so well within the 2.5” focuser limits.

#17 jay.i

jay.i

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:57 PM

Thanks. The difference is 420 Euros which is nearly $AU650 - quite a big uptick in price.

I’m wondering if this is really necessary for my camera - ASI1600MM with APS-C sized sensor?

I doubt the camera, filter & OAG weight more than 2.5kg, so well within the 2.5” focuser limits.

It should be fine. If you have issues, a premium 2.5" like a FeatherTouch would be a smarter way to spend the extra money, which will certainly hold it with no issue, and can be motorized later as well.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics