•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C8 serial numbers

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 xcy

xcy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Europe

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:49 AM

Do all vintage C8s have two serial numbers (one on the back of the secondary mirror and one under the drive base)? Are these two serial numbers the same or different?

#2 Adam Albino

Adam Albino

Lift Off

• Loc: Scituate, MA

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:39 PM

I believe only on the earliest ones - The Blue and whites and the early Velvetones tri-colors. if you had #33 the optics (secondary and primary I believe are - in general - both marked) the base serial # was also "33". After about 73 I don't believe the optics were marked the same as the serial number on the drive base. In fact in many cases only alignment marks are found and not numbers on the optics. Folks like to think Celestron manufacturing was very uniform but I don't believe it was - I've owned dozens of orange tube Celestrons - some have numbers that match, some have different numbers, some have alignment hash marks and some had nothing. And except for these early ones I'm not a buyer that the serial number tells you much. Lots of folks believe the last some such digits tell you the month and year of manufacture but other than a "general" era, i've not found this to be overly accurate. 

For more info I highly recommend purchasing Bob Piekiel's e-book  "Celestron the Early Years".

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics