•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EM Drive Fizzle

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JonNPR

JonNPR

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

No surprise here, but a good lessons learned exercise.

https://arstechnica....c-wtf-thruster/

• llanitedave, Lola Bruce and Dynan like this

#2 GamesForOne

GamesForOne

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:27 PM

Interaction with the Earth's magnetic field... Good thing millions or billions were not spent only to have it fizzle in interplanetary space.

---

Michael Mc

• Dynan likes this

#3 Dynan

Dynan

Messenger

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:31 PM

Too bad. Space Unicorns could have had a great IPO! troll.gif

#4 GamesForOne

GamesForOne

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:20 PM

Too bad. Space Unicorns could have had a great IPO! troll.gif

I'm sure we have not heard the last from the "discoverers". An IPO may be forthcoming regardless. Fools and their money as the old saying goes...tongue2.gif

---

Michael Mc

• Dynan likes this

#5 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:38 PM

We need to keep in mind that on no level was anyone involved in this attempting to perpetrate a scam.  It was a legitimate, if unlikely, idea, and fiendishly difficult to test.  It needed extra minds and hands, and as Jon says, the results, while disappointing to some, aren't really surprising.

It was kind of a romantic idea, though.

• Relativist and Dynan like this

#6 Relativist

Relativist

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:58 PM

Agreed, without risk there is nothing learned.

My advisor for my Masters in Physics is working on the Mach effect drive. I’ve helped her a bit with suggestions. From what I was told, the orientation didn’t matter. I’m curious what her response to this will be. Note that the Mach effect drive draws from theory that is parallel to the radiation reaction force n EM.

https://en.m.wikiped...m–Lorentz_force

The EM drive is by a different group.

#7 Pess

Pess

(Title)

• Loc: Toledo, Ohio

Posted 01 June 2018 - 07:24 AM

I, for one, am sad to see this idea fizzle.  Not surprised mind you, but sad none the less.

You see, if the drive had panned out it would have accomplished two things which are my personal Holy Grail in physics:

1. It would have pointed out rather profoundly a direction where our understanding of physics is flat out wrong and given insight on how to 'fix' it.

2. It could have opened the possibility to practical spaceflight. With manned flights within the solar system & unmanned flights to the nearest stars in almost reasonable time periods.  

I personally can't believe there is not some undiscovered physics waiting for us out their in the Universe that would allow a practical space drive.

Man has progressed steadily in his ability to locomote. From a raft with a long pole, to sails to the technology of near space travel..all in much less than an eyeblink of time relative to the age of the Universe.

We just need to find that tiny little violation of our understanding of the laws of physics...a miniscule crack we can work a lever bar into in order to unlock the mysteries of the Universe that await discovery.

Remember, Einstein only said we could not travel exactly 'AT' the speed of light. He said nothing about faster than light or short cuts.  

Pesse (Just need to move those pesky Orange Barrels out of the way) Mist

#8 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:45 AM

I, for one, am sad to see this idea fizzle.  Not surprised mind you, but sad none the less.

You see, if the drive had panned out it would have accomplished two things which are my personal Holy Grail in physics:

1. It would have pointed out rather profoundly a direction where our understanding of physics is flat out wrong and given insight on how to 'fix' it.

2. It could have opened the possibility to practical spaceflight. With manned flights within the solar system & unmanned flights to the nearest stars in almost reasonable time periods.  

I personally can't believe there is not some undiscovered physics waiting for us out their in the Universe that would allow a practical space drive.

Man has progressed steadily in his ability to locomote. From a raft with a long pole, to sails to the technology of near space travel..all in much less than an eyeblink of time relative to the age of the Universe.

We just need to find that tiny little violation of our understanding of the laws of physics...a miniscule crack we can work a lever bar into in order to unlock the mysteries of the Universe that await discovery.

Remember, Einstein only said we could not travel exactly 'AT' the speed of light. He said nothing about faster than light or short cuts.  

Pesse (Just need to move those pesky Orange Barrels out of the way) Mist

I can believe it.  We have seen so far that the path of the growth of human knowledge resembles an exponential curve.  I suspect if we step back and look at it on a large scale, it will more resemble an S-curve.

Further knowledge will become more and more difficult to gather, and the rate of growth will slow.  And the limitations in the laws of physics are, for the most part, almost certainly real.

On the other hand, if we ever figure out quantum entanglement, maybe then all bets are off.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics