•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkyShed POD Beta Testers Needed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#26 SkyShed

SkyShed

Vendor (Sky Shed)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2006 - 01:48 AM

Will do Alex. ASAP.

Wayne

#27 SkyShed

SkyShed

Vendor (Sky Shed)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2006 - 01:54 AM

We'll be there with bells on Tim, and a few PODs. Oh, and the Grand Door prize will be a POD. That's our plan at this time.

Starfest will be PODs "official" launch.

CS!
Wayne

#28 SkyShed

SkyShed

Vendor (Sky Shed)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:02 AM

That's not fair angl2. I love that area. I lived in the Oakwoods ("Jokewoods")on the other side of the hill for while and used to go the Griffith whenever I got the chance.

A tester there would give me an excuse to come and visit. Hey, I have to go see JPL anyway.

Hmm. That's just not fair.

CS!
Wayne

#29 Snaproll

Snaproll

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:20 PM

I wanna be a beta tester!!!!!

#30 Mr B

Mr B

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:54 AM

I checked out your site, (impressive) reading the posts, following this. Sounds interesting. Very much looking forward to seeing the dome opening configuration design. I have an idea what it is, but I am just curious if it can just open partially. I imagine it would.

I'll be looking for the animation/images of the opening/shutter design. I also sent in the questionnaire.

Thank you Wayne.

Dan from CA.

#31 Snaproll

Snaproll

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:47 AM

PICK ME! PICK ME! PICK ME! I WANT A POD!!!!

;)

Any chance you might have one ready to do at the end of May? That weekend is the WOW gathering (Wisconsin Observer's Weekend) at Hartman Creek Stat Park. There's usually a couple hundred in attendance.

I'm be more than happy to bundle up a POD... MY POD... and set it up there ;)

#32 ATY

ATY

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:35 AM

Wayne,
Does the POD have a bottom piece?
Thanks
Alex

#33 anglr2

anglr2

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:53 PM

Seriously, would love to test one. You are always welcome.

#34 Snaproll

Snaproll

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 May 2006 - 09:27 AM

Are there any "POD Updates" as of late?....

Any projection on target delivery date yet?

#35 SkyShed

SkyShed

Vendor (Sky Shed)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:15 AM

Do you mean a floor? Or walls?

Wayne

#36 Snaproll

Snaproll

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 May 2006 - 08:49 AM

I would think he would mean the floor Wayne.

I think I read in your literature that the POD is basically 10 pices, so you figure 2 for the dome, that leaves eight for the bottom, and it looks four sided. Figure you need a door, maybe a retainer ring around the top, one for the dome one for the walls, I'm thinking the sides or equipment bays must be one piece.

So any updates Wayne on delivery/availability? I am VERY interested in a POD. It would be perfect for my needs. I need an observatory but it can't be "permanent". I also do a fair amount of star parties and traveling to dark sites for imaging and need a portable shelter. Please post any udates, I already have the site picked out for "my POD".

#37 ATY

ATY

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:52 AM

Do you mean a floor? Or walls?

Wayne

Wayne,
I meant to ask if the POD has a floor. If so is the floor a one-piece water tight construction and how the floor interfaces with the walls.
Thanks
Alex

#38 Snaproll

Snaproll

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:57 AM

ATY, I'm guessing that since the specs say that the POD is portable and can be set up "anywhere", there isn't a floor. I would think something like some circular waterproof plastic tarp and velcro or snaps around the base to hold it.

I think what I'm going to do for around the house is pour a cement base, and possibly ring it wit patio stones to keep the wind from getting under it, and possibly to anchor it.

#39 SkyShed

SkyShed

Vendor (Sky Shed)

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:54 PM

You're right guys. There is no floor. This is so that people can use POD with a tripod right out of the box. If they wish to mount POD permanently or semi permanently in the backyard they can add a pier later.

We will advise that the proper way to install POD on soil is to find a slightly raised, flat mound of soil to keep water draining away from POD.

No doubt many people will mount POD on a small deck or pad and add a pier. But since we don't want to limit POD to pier use, there's no floor.

We found some great floor mats at Home Depot and Lowes that we will recommend. They're big rubber winter mats that have holes for drainage. Not that we want them for drainage but they'll be easy to cut into shape and keep dust down. And there very low cost and will be easy to transport.

CS!
Wayne

#40 MikeB 2

MikeB 2

Messenger

Posted 16 May 2006 - 07:12 PM

Are you still needing Beta testers? If so, let me know the qualifying procedure. I would be using the POD on 1.5 acres in SE Ohio.

Mike

#41 Snaproll

Snaproll

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:22 PM

Hi Mike. There are millions of people waiting to test POD, maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones :)

The PODheads have created a yahoo news group you may want to join to get the latest updates on POD-mania.

As far as applying for beta test, there is a link on their website skyshed.com and you need to fill out the application.

I'm sure Wayne will check up on this thread from time to time and post the address for the news group here. The latest discussions were about connecting PODs into hamster like habitats....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics