•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AZ-EQ6-GT and SkySafari Pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 axle01

axle01

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Townsville Nth Qld Australia

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:53 AM

Can I control my AZ-EQ6-GT with SkySafari Pro, if so how do I go about it.

Al

#2 stormbringer

stormbringer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:22 AM

Hello,

yes I control my AZ-EQ6 via wireless Bluetooth/RS232 controller

here is a picture about it fixed in my powerbox

32751034ht.jpg

#3 Nick Will

Nick Will

Mariner 2

• Loc: Wildwood Florida

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:26 AM

Can I control my AZ-EQ6-GT with SkySafari Pro, if so how do I go about it.

Al

Yes...I use a SkyFi connected to the hand controller & SkySafari Pro on my iPad. 

You’ll love it.

How to:

On SkySafari: 

Go to settings—-select telescope setup choose Orion Atlas, Atlas Pro.

With your mount already aligned with the sky & SkyFi on and connected to the hand controller:

Then on you iPad:

Go to settings—-open WiFi——choose SkyFi.

Then back on SkySafari:

Press connect. If the link is established you’ll hear a happy “ding” and the cursor on the SkySafari chart will move where it thinks the mount is pointed. If the link is not established, you’ll hear an ominous “gong” and a window will pop up telling you why the link cannot be established.

On mine, the serial connector on the bottom of the hand controller in a little hinkey and I usually have to wiggle the connection for it to establish the link.

Good Luck!

Edited by Nick Will, 26 May 2018 - 07:27 AM.

#4 axle01

axle01

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:06 PM

Appreciate the advise guys, thank you.

Al

#5 N2KEN

N2KEN

Mariner 2

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY / Catskill, NY

Posted 26 May 2018 - 10:46 PM

I have the Orion version of the mount: the Atlas Pro or AZEQ-G. The USconverters RS232 Bluetooth adapter works great with SkySafariPro 5 (Android) and this mount. The BT adapter can be connected to the hand controller using the RS232 cable with the 6 pin RJ-14 modular plug that comes with the mount. If this cable is used, an RS232 terminal is not needed.  However, a straight through male-male RS232 adapter is needed since both this Bluetooth adapter and RS232 cable have female terminals. This BT device has been very reliable and I've never had a dropped signal. Initial configuration of the BT adapter can be a bit of a challenge, but the default settings should work with the adapter in DTE mode. The configuration information on the USconverters site is very good, but technical in nature.

- Do not use PC direct mode on the HC

- The USconverters BT can be powered by a USB battery or charging adapter. However an older style Mini (not Micro) plug is needed on the USB power cable.

- Configure SS5Pro for the type of adapter you have (WiFi or BT) and for the proper mount before trying to connect to it.

- As with the WiFi procedure for the iPad, star alignment via the HC needs to be done before firing up SS5Pro. Once star alignment is done the RJ-14 plug can be inserted into the HC, the BT device is powered on, and SS5Pro started. Press "connect" and it should connect.  Either the HC or SS5Pro can be used for slewing the scope manually, but use I SS5Pro for GoTos. 

#6 stormbringer

stormbringer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:48 AM

thats the same adapter like mine...... bought it on amazon.co.uk

The USconverters RS232 Bluetooth adapter works great with SkySafariPro 5 (Android) and this mount. 

#7 axle01

axle01

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:28 AM

Thanks Ken much appreciated.

al

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics