•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need help with vintage scope

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Shine_bright_like_star

Shine_bright_like_star

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:30 AM

Hi everybody,

First thanks for letting me to jojin your community so quick and easy.

Few days ago I have found this old Japanese made astronomical reflector. So I have cleaned it good, mirrors have been all dusty and nasty. I think I have all pieces, except an extension for the eye. So can someone pleas tell me more abouth this one, because I am a total noob when it comes to telescopes. And what kind of eye extensions should I look for, I have some from earlyer, but they are too wide for this scope.

Pictures are available on the link: https://imgur.com/a/9wXAk4l

Thank you so much in advance.

#2 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:45 AM

You've certainly cleaned it up well, looks like new. It appears to be a generic 114mm Newtonian reflector that was popular and badged by several companies. All I can see that you are missing are the finder which would fit in the bracket next to the focuser. The eyepiece fit is most likely the early 24.5mm standard. Once you have fitted a finder and an eyepiece you should be good to go.

#3 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:59 AM

The finder is fitted to the scope in the bottommost picture, but the mount is missing a counterweight shaft and counterweight. 

Also, the scope is not so old. I'd say 10 - 15 years old, maybe. I can tell from the style of the mount and the focuser. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Augustus likes this

#4 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:26 AM

These can be great scopes.   I still remember giving people thrills seeing the rings of Saturn through one just like this years ago.  They are not bad scopes.  Also, welcome to Cloudy Nights.

Edited by starman876, 27 May 2018 - 09:27 AM.

#5 DLuders

DLuders

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:17 AM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!  smile.gif   You can see various Counterweights on  https://www.telescop...d=counterweight  .  If you know the thread size and count, you could get a threaded rod from your local Hardware Store and attach a counterweight to it so that your telescope doesn't flop upside-down!  

If you measure across your eyepiece Focuser to confirm that the diameter is less than an inch (specifically, 0.965" or 24.5mm), you can get an adapter like this to be able to use the more-common 1-1/4" eyepieces.  cool.gif   

#6 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:10 PM

If you measure across your eyepiece Focuser to confirm that the diameter is less than an inch (specifically, 0.965" or 24.5mm), you can get an adapter like this to be able to use the more-common 1-1/4" eyepieces.  cool.gif   

Sadly, most small newtonians won't reach focus with these adapters. I also had a 4.5" newtonian very much like the one in the OP, but older (Towa) and it wouldn't reach focus with modern 1.25" eyepieces and such an adapter. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#7 mfalls

mfalls

Vostok 1

• Loc: Boston Mountains

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:22 PM

Inexpensive kellner and plossl eyepieces will give you good views at this focal ratio. The scope is rather top heavy.  I had one blow over with a sudden wind gust. It survived the fall well.

#8 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Vostok 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:56 PM

Greetings and welcome to CN.

I have a weight and shaft that may work for you. 

Check the threads and P.M. me.

#9 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:39 PM

I'd say almost categorically that the mount itself is a Dai-Ichi Kogaku - probably quite a deal older than Thomas suggests (like maybe 35 years old) but that depends upon how long these mounts were used in production runs...

"Memento" has a D-I Kogaku (more) modern EQ mount that he puts as mid 80's or so as well as the type of mount your piks display on a 60mm refractor - I personally have an 80mm f15 D-I K refractor with the same mount as your piks display...an unusual aspect (for many EQ's at the time) is the full worm & wheel drive for Declination as well as RA! smile.gif

This manufacturer was perhaps better known as an "OEM" (Original Equipment Manufacturer) for numerous well-regarded telescope brands & there are suggestions that some of their later small scopes were fairly pedestrian units...but just like their supplies to quality scope brands D-I K produced small numbers of high quality scopes themselves - mine being one such unit! wink.gif

They were seemingly also rather circumspect about placing any clear "badging" on their own scopes...a metallic adhesive "label" such as the one your scope displays was quite usual apparently, although their little D-I K symbol was usually there also... 

So there is the possibility that your scope "might" be better than the run-of-the-mill D114mm f900mm Newtonian reflectors that were made in plague numbers back then - cleaned & properly collimated under the night sky will give you your best indication of its capabilities! wink.gif

I have plenty of piks of the specific EQ mount but my drives are all unplugged atm - but will post a few piks down the track if you are interested...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics