•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AT102ED - on sale, has anyone used one?

• Please log in to reply
1069 replies to this topic

#1051 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 November 2020 - 12:48 PM

Best SxS comparo standard for "natural color"/doubles is a large newt with the same EP/focal length. Then the saturation of the refractor stands out the color variation, independent of other concerns. Sort of like the way the breakout test allows you to quantify SA/correction with a star test.

Both are useful with refractors/mak/sct. Complements white light DPAC.

You might find that AT102ED star test shows tiny overcorrection - perhaps this affects "sharpness" ?

Oh, and as to eye oddities ... cataract lens replacements did enhance the high end of the spectrum in the past. And some red LED's emit junction noise as shortwave, which is why red plastic was used to minimize this. So yes altering the eye can make it much more sensitive to CA as well as register from stars/nebula elements of the spectrum that are different, not to mention the effects of the age "yellowing" of cornea/lens.

#1052 Joe1950

Joe1950

Voyager 1

Posted 25 February 2021 - 01:58 AM

I used to do a lot of optical testing on my scopes; star test, Ronchi, DPAC and so on. Then I stopped testing and now just use and go by what I see at the eyepiece.

A little undercorrected, overcorrected, notevencorrected - the sharpness of the image in the AT-102ED leaves nothing to be desired. It is as sharp as any scope I’ve looked through.

There is a very small amount of CA on brighter objects but you really have to look for it to see it.

The most impressive quality of the scope is the contrast it puts up. As one earlier post mentioned, no visible scatter. That tells me the lens has a good figure, as would be expressed by an optimal MTF (modulation transfer function), has excellent coatings and is well built with respect to stray and reflected light via the tube and baffles, etc.

I’m not saying it is better or equal to a high priced premium scope. But IMO, it is an excellent scope, optically and mechanically, especially for the price.

BTW: Some of the very well made Maksutov scopes are intentionally figured undercorrected to a degree to compensate for higher order aberrations caused by the steeply curved optical surfaces. And there is nothing lacking in the “sharpness” of those scopes.

Edited by Joe1950, 25 February 2021 - 02:01 AM.

• stevew, eros312, KevH and 3 others like this

#1053 unitron_man

unitron_man

Vostok 1

Posted 09 April 2021 - 10:49 AM

Here is a photo with the AT102ED.  There is very little CA on the bright stars!

Taken with a Canon 5DII (unmodified)  and no field flattener.

I love this scope!

Attached Thumbnails

• m42_30m_stack_low_res2.jpg

• Paul Schroeder, stevew, Jaimo! and 16 others like this

#1054 unitron_man

unitron_man

Vostok 1

Posted 15 April 2021 - 04:49 AM

Can someone recommend a focal reducer/field flattener that has worked well with the AT102ED?

I was thinking the Astro-Tech ATR8 might be a good choice but it is out of stock.

Orion makes one that looks identical  8894.  Has anyone tried that?

Link

Thanks

• lionel likes this

#1055 joelin

joelin

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saratoga, CA

Posted 13 May 2021 - 02:46 PM

+1 about the reducer/flattener

I've noticed many of the 100mm doublets don't have dedicated reducer/flatteners...I think dedicated ones are better than using any old generic one

the one exception is the skywatcher 100mm f/9 but the reducer is only a 0.85x which doesn't bring it very far down.... ideally would like an f/5 doublet that can do this

im sticking to doublets due to their weight....extra weight means more mount and more mount is way more weight 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#1056 Jethro7

Jethro7

Vanguard

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 14 May 2021 - 06:54 PM

Hello out there,

I have owned a AT102ED for about two years now and this little relatively cheap scope is one of the best bangs for the buck in a refractor and mine has no bad habits. I have to actually be looking for the CA to find it and that is only when I am at high magnification can a hint be found. It is correct that there is not a dedicated focal reducer for the AT102ED. The focal reducers that seem to recommended here on CN for the AT102ED's are the Astrophyics CCDT67 and the Anrares .7 reducers. I have never tried either of these two but others have. I do Night Vision Astronomy and the AT102ED is just a hoot.

HAPPY SKIES TO EVERYONE AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

20210420 215359

• MortonH, Wisconsin Steve, Bomber Bob and 4 others like this

#1057 unitron_man

unitron_man

Vostok 1

Posted 15 May 2021 - 06:05 AM

Can someone recommend a focal reducer/field flattener that has worked well with the AT102ED?

I was thinking the Astro-Tech ATR8 might be a good choice but it is out of stock.

Orion makes one that looks identical  8894.  Has anyone tried that?

Link

Thanks

OK so I purchased the ATR8 focal reducer (0.8X) and field flattener.

I'm happy with the results on the AT102ED.

Here is a monochrome image of the Leo Triplet Galaxy Cluster.

Attached Thumbnails

• Leo_Triplet_smoothAIJ_REV3.jpg

• MortonH, Jaimo!, Bomber Bob and 5 others like this

#1058 unitron_man

unitron_man

Vostok 1

Posted 16 May 2021 - 05:10 AM

Here is the Rig

AT102ED Imaging Scope

ATR8 Reducer/Flattener

CGEM Mount

Unitron 60mm 700mm fl Guide scope

SBIG ST8300M KAF8300 CCD camera

Filter wheel

Mallincam DS287 Guider camera

Bahtinov Focus Mask

PHD2 Guider Software

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210513_200816.jpg

• Jaimo!, Bomber Bob, acommonsoul and 4 others like this

#1059 unitron_man

unitron_man

Vostok 1

Posted 17 May 2021 - 08:53 AM

I thought I would post the full frame image of the Leo Triplet so one can see that the stars are round out to the edge of the field on the CCD.

The field is 1.73 x 1.3 degrees

Attached Thumbnails

• Leo_Stack_DN.JPG

• Illinois, Bomber Bob, gene 4181 and 6 others like this

#1060 aeajr

aeajr

Hubble

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 19 May 2021 - 09:23 AM

I just posted a first light report here:

https://www.cloudyni...2-ed-refractor/

• antilles72, Joe1950 and unitron_man like this

#1061 unitron_man

unitron_man

Vostok 1

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:41 AM

Andromeda Galaxy with the AT102ED and 0.8 Focal Reducer/Flattener

13 x 300s Subs Total Exposure 1hr 5min

From Central Massachusetts

Bortle Class 5-6

Attached Thumbnails

• m31_siril_pop.jpg

• Paul Schroeder, Illinois, Jaimo! and 9 others like this

#1062 unitron_man

unitron_man

Vostok 1

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:00 AM

Here is another target from last night  of M8 (the Lagoon Nebula)

Taken with a monochrome CCD with  LRGB and H-Alpha filters

15 minutes each filter (3 5minute subs per filter)

Total Exposure 1h 15m

Attached is the 15m H-Alpha Monochrome image

and the color composite

Attached Thumbnails

• M8_Ha_Siril-pop.jpg
  • M8_Ha_Siril_LRGB_Ha_Cell-pop.jpg

• Illinois, Jaimo!, Bomber Bob and 5 others like this

#1063 unitron_man

unitron_man

Vostok 1

Posted 30 August 2021 - 05:32 AM

Latest target is the Veil Nebula

1h 5m exposure (13 5min subs)

ATR8 Flattener

H-Alpha Narrow Band Filter

Attached Thumbnails

• veil_dss_no_hot_pixel_remove_crop-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg

• Illinois, Jaimo!, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#1064 gribley

gribley

Vostok 1

• Loc: Providence, RI

Posted 30 August 2021 - 09:44 AM

Does anyone happen to have any info about when the AT102ED might be back in stock?  The website says "More on the way", and an email to Astronomics didn't get a reply... 

#1065 aeajr

aeajr

Hubble

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 30 August 2021 - 11:06 AM

Does anyone happen to have any info about when the AT102ED might be back in stock?  The website says "More on the way", and an email to Astronomics didn't get a reply... 

Only Astronomics can provide that information.

• Steve Cox likes this

#1066 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 30 August 2021 - 03:28 PM

As all AT scopes sell out very quickly, the quicker you get on the list the faster you will receive a scope. Please remember, Astronomics can only provide rough estimates as they have no control over the manufacturer, the ship that crosses the ocean, the port that offloads the containers, how long Customs will take to release a shipment, the trucking time from LA to Oklahoma etc. These days patience is becoming even more of a virtue due to shortages in material, skilled manpower etc. 

One thing I can say is they are a very honorable company so if you order it will come, almost always owers are thrilled when they get their AT scopes and the wait becomes a secondary issue. 

Okay, I have to put away my soap box now. 

Edited by rkaufmann87, 30 August 2021 - 10:49 PM.

• stevew, Xeroid, gribley and 4 others like this

#1067 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 30 August 2021 - 05:19 PM

I don't know Roger, that's a pretty timely message to me, kind of brings back memories.  When I bought my first dob, one of the early or first red tube Coulter 8's back in the 80's, I waited 12 weeks to receive it, then still had to drive down to the local UPS facility to pay (FOB) and pick it up; there was no credit card payments or such then and no internet shopping.  Buying most scopes back then was the same wait time unless you were fortunate to have a local store dealer.  So it doesn't bother me if I have to shop around, buy used or wait nowadays.  We've been too spoiled and had things too easy and convenient for quite some time now.  We just have to be patient and wait on the "system" you summarized in your first paragraph.

#1068 dagadget

dagadget

Apollo

• Loc: Avon Park, Florida

Posted 30 August 2021 - 06:27 PM

As all AT scopes sell out very quickly the quicker you get on the list the faster you will receive a scope. Please remember, Astronomics can only provide rough estimates as they have no control over the manufacturer, the ship the crosses the ocean, the port that offloads the containers, how long Customs will take to release a shipment, the trucking time from LA to Oklahoma etc. These days patience is becoming even more of a virtue due to shortages in material, skilled manpower etc. 

One thing I can say is they are a very honerable company so if you order it will come, almost always owers are thrilled when they get their AT scopes and the wait becomes a secondary issue. 

Okay, I have to put away my soap box now. 

But a Premium soap bubble box it is regardless. Waiting to get an AT 92EDT next year around this time that year will go fast.

#1069 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 30 August 2021 - 08:40 PM

Yea brings back memories my first real scope was a RV-6 reflector back around 1972 after I had order it put down my deposit it took a full year to get it had to be picked up at the airport 60 miles away those were the good old days right LOL.

#1070 gribley

gribley

Vostok 1

• Loc: Providence, RI

Posted 31 August 2021 - 10:08 AM

Update: They are keeping a pre-order list, and the scopes are on the water.  Glad I asked!  Thanks for the comments y'all. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics