•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter through binoculars - smallest bins to see equatorial bands?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 Davo171

Davo171

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:21 PM

New guy here.  Interested in the comments (and the other thread linked to here)

Haven't seen any bands yet, but last night I was able to see that Jupiter had an almost diamond appearance, a little wider to the sides.

That was through a little pair of 6x32 binos in a dark area rested.

Can't wait to get into more magnification.

• greywulf4570 likes this

#27 dd61999

dd61999

Mariner 2

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 12 May 2019 - 05:59 PM

So is there a conclusive magnification level to see the bands in binoculars? Or is this really reserved for telescopes 

#28 ihf

ihf

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:06 AM

Why do you want to know? Are you interested in a once in a lifetime event with perfect atmosphere and vision?

I have seen the two bands regularly at 40x magnification in as small as a 62mm non-ED Minox spotting scope (40x). I was going to check my binos. It is nearly midnight, yet still warm from the day. I could not see the bands in either Canon 18x, 15x or 10x IS hand held. I double checked with two different scopes at 40x and 60x and no bands were visible either. The atmosphere was boiling too much. I have seen the bands two days ago under seemingly similar conditions. That said I have my doubts I could hold the image stabilized binos well enough to see the bands. Better chances mounted. (But then, why not use a telescope?)

#29 dd61999

dd61999

Mariner 2

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:27 AM

Why do you want to know? Are you interested in a once in a lifetime event with perfect atmosphere and vision?

I have seen the two bands regularly at 40x magnification in as small as a 62mm non-ED Minox spotting scope (40x). I was going to check my binos. It is nearly midnight, yet still warm from the day. I could not see the bands in either Canon 18x, 15x or 10x IS hand held. I double checked with two different scopes at 40x and 60x and no bands were visible either. The atmosphere was boiling too much. I have seen the bands two days ago under seemingly similar conditions. That said I have my doubts I could hold the image stabilized binos well enough to see the bands. Better chances mounted. (But then, why not use a telescope?)

Because I prefer binoculars for astronomy rather then telescopes 

#30 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:54 AM

IMHO it takes about 80x to see something worth looking at more than just once or twice.

• hallelujah likes this

#31 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:24 PM

I saw a nice sized "disc" of Jupiter last week in the morning using my 16x50's, but it needed to get higher to get out of the "soup".  I'll see if I can see any of the bands next time it gets higher.

Best views for me is with my 10" XTi and my binoviewers at 155x

#32 ihf

ihf

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:19 PM

I have kept trying seeing Jupiter's bands with 10x42 and 18x50 (hand held, leaned against house, with/without IS[1]). The planet very clearly is a disk (too bright). But no chance at details in the binos even when I could just about see a band with SW100ED + APM 30mm lens (for 30x magnification) but not with Vixen LVW 42mm (21.5x magnification). Considering that most fixed eyepiece binos (say 25x100) are very fast I doubt with my eyes I could make out detail. Also while I can see that Saturn is elongated in either bino I can not make out the ears (even after looking at street light). Right now both planets are about as close as they get, so I would say stick to > 40x (in my seeing so far I think I max out detail at 150x).

[1] I now think image stabilisation makes Jupiter/Saturn worse. This is the first time that in my experience image stabilisation does not add to the view through a bino. Of course it goes from "can't see bands" to "can't see bands + more smeared out".

#33 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:34 PM

So is there a conclusive magnification level to see the bands in binoculars?

This one should work nicely.

http://www.valdada.c...ant-binoculars/

Stan

• ihf likes this

#34 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:13 PM

IMHO it takes about 80x to see something worth looking at more than just once or twice.

Stan

Yeah, the Docter 40x80 should do the trick under reasonable conditions.  My 100mm BT at 39x showed banding on Jupiter well enough the other night but I wouldn't call them small binoculars or the view at 39x very satisfying as far as detail goes.  Like Mark says, at least twice that mag would be a better starting point.

While I've seen the GRS and moon transits at higher mags in the BT, my scopes would do better; you really need the right tool for the job.

Rich

#35 dd61999

dd61999

Mariner 2

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:19 PM

Stan

Thanks! Exactly what I’m looking for and at a great price!..but it’s not the color I’m looking for. Black binoculars are so pedestrian!

#36 hallelujah

hallelujah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Star over Colorado

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:16 PM

https://astromart.co...mm-ed-binocular

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics