•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where do all the dew shields go?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:05 PM

This is the second scope I've bought (in my modest collection of a half dozen used cheapies) that did not have its dew shield.  In this case, an early 60's Mayflower 60x700 in its original box.  Everything else was there, including the eyepiece extension tube, finder scope, handles for the mount...everything except the dew shield.  Oh and the tripod legs, they were gone too.

How?  The scope had a box, made to fit everything (just barely, but that's a different rant).  How does something like that just...disappear? (Or the legs)

The same problem occurs with guitar amplifier foot switches.  I mean, amps have a handy little spot in back perfectly situated to set the foot switch in.  You unplug the footswitch from the back of the amp and set it in the convenient cubbyhole that's right there!  Yet practically every old amp I come across that requires a unique footswitch...is missing it.  They won't fit other amps.  They aren't for sale on evilbay.  There's no coveted black market for Peavey Classic 60 foot switches.

Maybe there's a secret alien base behind Area 51 that collects dew shields, guitar footswitches, and the occasional set of tripod legs.

• deSitter, memento, deepwoods1 and 1 other like this

#2 apfever

apfever

Skylab

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:14 PM

Those things and socks are in on it together.
  • SteveGR, Bomber Bob, TSSClay and 3 others like this

#3 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:21 PM

This is the second scope I've bought (in my modest collection of a half dozen used cheapies) that did not have its dew shield.  In this case, an early 60's Mayflower 60x700 in its original box.  Everything else was there, including the eyepiece extension tube, finder scope, handles for the mount...everything except the dew shield.  Oh and the tripod legs, they were gone too.

How?  The scope had a box, made to fit everything (just barely, but that's a different rant).  How does something like that just...disappear? (Or the legs)

The same problem occurs with guitar amplifier foot switches.  I mean, amps have a handy little spot in back perfectly situated to set the foot switch in.  You unplug the footswitch from the back of the amp and set it in the convenient cubbyhole that's right there!  Yet practically every old amp I come across that requires a unique footswitch...is missing it.  They won't fit other amps.  They aren't for sale on evilbay.  There's no coveted black market for Peavey Classic 60 foot switches.

Maybe there's a secret alien base behind Area 51 that collects dew shields, guitar footswitches, and the occasional set of tripod legs.

I've never understood how these things get so beat up. Maybe they used the dew shield to make cookies.

-drl

#4 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Skylab

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:48 PM

Speaking of socks, the comedian Erma Bombeck supposedly said that socks are larval forms of coat hangers. This explains all the missing socks and the closet stuffed with coat hangers.

Now, there are some pretty smart people here on Cloudynights, and I suspect if we could get all 11 of us together we could, using Bomeck's observation as a starting point, help us find a lot of of those missing dew shields.

I tried a sock experiment. One year I bought a whole batch, maybe 2 dozen pairs of the same black socks. The idea was that even though some would be lost, I still would have many others, all exactly the same colour, black. (I apologize if I'm getting off topic...)

Ah, but when the first sock lost its mate, it ended up sulking in a back corner of the sock drawer for a few months. Then it was joined by, one, two, then 6 other solo socks over a period of 4.7 months. As matched pairs were used up a few of these orphaned socks were flung randomly in pairs, like shotgun marriages I suppose.

But, as time went on many of the socks had been through unique cycles of laundry, with unique levels of fading.

So, 11 months out I had around 33 individual socks left. With careful matching under sunlight, one could create between 3 and 7 closely matched shades of black socks, until the next wash. I don't know about you, but when I'm putting socks on in the morning, bright sunlight, careful observation of anything, let alone the shade of socks, and loud music are not my forte. Instead, I excel in tripping over yesterdays socks while looking as-if I'm doing a rare form of Drunken High Tai Chi. Nope, no way on purpose.

For practical purposes I was stuck with 13 pairs of mismatched socks, and one leftover. At least for that week.

Hmm. Better change the number of smart people here to 10?

Edited by Littlegreenman, 05 June 2018 - 09:56 PM.

• Peter B, memento, steve t and 4 others like this

#5 petert913

petert913

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:38 PM

socks are larval forms of coat hangers

Gosh, that explains everything !! grin.gif

• deSitter likes this

#6 strdst

strdst

Aurora

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:22 AM

I've never understood how these things get so beat up. Maybe they used the dew shield to make cookies.

-drl

I've crushed my fair share slamming into the door and/or porch header. I can only keep track of so many things! Between the cat trying to get out and the screen door swinging back...sheesh.

The other items often missing are the counter weights...shot put practice? and finder scopes...playing in forts in the woods. I know there are telescope pieces I will eventually find on my property. Stuff I said sure kids. have fun!  

#7 Spectral Joe

Spectral Joe

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Livermore CA

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:54 AM

They get tossed out where you are because you need moisture to make dew and there's a definite shortage of moisture in Phoenix.

• steve t likes this

#8 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Skylab

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:56 AM

Laws of telescopes:

# 1. The missing part is essential in order to use the telescope.

• steve t and Allanbarth1 like this

#9 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:59 AM

The elitist part of the community is buying them all uplol.gif

#10 macdonjh

macdonjh

Gemini

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:20 AM

funnypost.gif

#11 macdonjh

macdonjh

Gemini

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:23 AM

Speaking of socks, the comedian Erma Bombeck supposedly said that socks are larval forms of coat hangers. This explains all the missing socks and the closet stuffed with coat hangers.

Now, there are some pretty smart people here on Cloudynights, and I suspect if we could get all 11 of us together we could, using Bomeck's observation as a starting point, help us find a lot of of those missing dew shields.

I tried a sock experiment. One year I bought a whole batch, maybe 2 dozen pairs of the same black socks. The idea was that even though some would be lost, I still would have many others, all exactly the same colour, black. (I apologize if I'm getting off topic...)

Ah, but when the first sock lost its mate, it ended up sulking in a back corner of the sock drawer for a few months. Then it was joined by, one, two, then 6 other solo socks over a period of 4.7 months. As matched pairs were used up a few of these orphaned socks were flung randomly in pairs, like shotgun marriages I suppose.

But, as time went on many of the socks had been through unique cycles of laundry, with unique levels of fading.

So, 11 months out I had around 33 individual socks left. With careful matching under sunlight, one could create between 3 and 7 closely matched shades of black socks, until the next wash. I don't know about you, but when I'm putting socks on in the morning, bright sunlight, careful observation of anything, let alone the shade of socks, and loud music are not my forte. Instead, I excel in tripping over yesterdays socks while looking as-if I'm doing a rare form of Drunken High Tai Chi. Nope, no way on purpose.

For practical purposes I was stuck with 13 pairs of mismatched socks, and one leftover. At least for that week.

Hmm. Better change the number of smart people here to 10?

I miss quiet humor like Bombeck's (and Will Rogers).  I wonder if that means that somewhere there's an amateur astronomer with a thousand orphan dew shields in the back of his gear closet?

I've crushed my fair share slamming into the door and/or porch header. I can only keep track of so many things! Between the cat trying to get out and the screen door swinging back...sheesh.

The other items often missing are the counter weights...shot put practice? and finder scopes...playing in forts in the woods. I know there are telescope pieces I will eventually find on my property. Stuff I said sure kids. have fun!  

Good thing your cats don't live in my house.  If I have the choice between bumping a scope on a door jamb or stepping on a cat, the cat loses.  Both of ours know to stay away from my feet when they are moving.

#12 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:46 AM

I've had to make new dewshields many times, for several brands.  Fortunately I have a good friend with a nice home machine shop, and he's much better at chasing threads than I.   The reproductions are indistinguishable from the originals in most cases, sometimes I opt for a slightly thicker wall if I felt that the stock thickness was on the anemic side.

Many 60mm scopes share a common dew shield thread, so finding substitutes in the marketplace can usually bear fruit without too long of a search.

• Bomber Bob and Augustus like this

#13 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:01 PM

Another option is to look for “Metal Lens Hood” on Amazon. Some are threaded. I got a 95mm diameter threaded one to use with my Questar. They have many sizes and can be painted white.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#14 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:11 PM

where have all dragons gone long time passing

• Exnihilo likes this

#15 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Apollo

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:28 PM

When will they ever learn?

#16 Mike W

Mike W

Viking 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 06 June 2018 - 03:44 PM

That's why Televue dew shields slide back and get captured! 

#17 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:52 PM

I like the dew cap on the Swift 831.  It's captured, threads-out for use, threads-in for storage, with stops at both ends.  Nice little engineering detail.

831 04 014.jpg

• deSitter, Adam S, photiost and 5 others like this

#18 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Skylab

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:35 PM

Many 60mm scopes share a common dew shield thread, so finding substitutes in the marketplace can usually bear fruit without too long of a search.

I'm trying reconcile this thread with my experience. Around 5 years ago I found myself with 2 orphan dew shields. They came from junker 80mm IIRC. I was sure they would be snapped up quickly if I posted them for sale here on CN at sensible* prices

Nope; it took several tries at listing over several years to sell them.

*Sensible

"The trouble with an alarm clock is that what seems sensible when you set it seems absurd when it goes off."

Nero Wolfe's sidekick in The Rodeo Murders

#19 memento

memento

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: 51N 7E

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:48 AM

I'm really glad to read that socks story. I always thought I'm the only one with that problem. Especially that you buy 10 pairs of identical socks and then still get in trouble. Beats me why no one is able to invent something so that this won't happen anymore, with all the high tech we have.

As for dew shields, I never had that problem, though. But there must be a land of lens caps, eyepiece caps and such. Trillions of those. I basically look at a scope and the lens cap gets lost immediately.

• Littlegreenman likes this

#20 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Skylab

Posted 07 June 2018 - 04:44 AM

In the 1990's there was one of the best teen-growing-up High School TV dramas, My So-called Life. It stared a young teen Claire Danes. They get a new substitute teacher, played by Roger Rees (tycoon Robin Colcord on Cheers). He wears one white sock, and one black sock. One of many attributes that made him a big hit with the students. Oh, yeah, he actually related to them as real human beings.

That's one solution. Another is to go sockless.

Back in the 1980's I read Dress for Success, which was all about power suits, power ties for men, and one entry on shoes: "Don't wear funny shoes." That is an actual quote.

I thought the pendulum on $300 suits (starting price) would swing away from that. It has, but it took about 20 years... unless you are a banker or city worker in administration, then you are still supporting the laundry starch industry.

Another Erma Bombeck story, from the later 1980's. She tells about buying a new blouse, and a vest, and a coat, and an overcoat. And since it was the fashion at the time, the blouse had shoulder pads. So did the vest. And yes. And that too. By the time she puts on the overcoat her head is buried inside a canyon!

Edited by Littlegreenman, 07 June 2018 - 04:48 AM.

• Vesper818 likes this

#21 bremms

bremms

Aurora

• Loc: SC

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:02 AM

We all know that socks are the primary material that form the rings around Uranus. Dew shields on and old 60mm refractors seem to have been used as pry bars, farm implements or light sabers.

#22 nashvillebill

nashvillebill

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:20 AM

As far as finding a replacement dew shield for my vintage Mayflower: I did check out metal lens hoods, but they were not threaded to match my needs.  Likewise, I looked at thrift stores and found a 60mm scope cheap, but its dew shield wasn't anywhere close to being a usable size.

So I'm 3D printing one.

• Marc-Andre likes this

#23 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:36 AM

A dew shield is a pretty quick job for someone with a lathe.   I can turn them up to 7" diameter but I'm not the best at threading, so I let my buddy do that aspect until I can buy some better tools for my mini lathe and practice some more.

• photiost likes this

#24 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Voyager 1

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:57 AM

It's easy.   Dew shields go the same place as those cheap plastic hub caps that go on steel rims.

#25 SteveGR

SteveGR

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:28 AM

Not to mention the 7/16th wrenches and sockets.

• TSSClay and Ben Bajorek like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics