•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The New TEC140FL or TAK 150B ?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#76 dr.who

dr.who

Hubble

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:37 PM

Sure. But I imaged with the TOA 150 on it. It worked fine. Without the counterweight ring it reduces the weight by 10 lbs and the moment arm on it is the same as the AP 155...

Doesn't matter though. The only Mach1's you can get now are used. If the OP wants new he has to go with the Mach2. At the projected price of the Mach2 the 1100 is in the same price range and gives you 110 lbs payload capacity vs. 75 both being for imaging. Unless you want the absolute encoders. But in my book I can just guide so the AE's are not that much of a value add. Plus the 1100 can easily be broken into two parts. From what I understand the Mach2 is a bit more difficult to break apart...

#77 Swanny

Swanny

Messenger

• ****-
  • Loc: AZ

Posted 11 February 2020 - 06:28 PM

Sure. But I imaged with the TOA 150 on it. It worked fine. Without the counterweight ring it reduces the weight by 10 lbs and the moment arm on it is the same as the AP 155...

Doesn't matter though. The only Mach1's you can get now are used. If the OP wants new he has to go with the Mach2. At the projected price of the Mach2 the 1100 is in the same price range and gives you 110 lbs payload capacity vs. 75 both being for imaging. Unless you want the absolute encoders. But in my book I can just guide so the AE's are not that much of a value add. Plus the 1100 can easily be broken into two parts. From what I understand the Mach2 is a bit more difficult to break apart...

I agree with you on the 1100. I personally don’t need encoders. What I have now works great via guiding. And I don’t like to be the early adopter guy. I like being on the leading not the bleeding edge.

#78 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:57 AM

I've owned a TOA150 for about 11 years. It lived in an unheated obs through several Toronto winters - we frequently saw -25C (-13F) and occasionally colder. I've had no issues with the optics.

As I've commented before, the original focuser was a dog however the newer version is (reportedly) far better so this may not matter. Motorising a Tak focuser is painful but I've installed an FTF3545.

Taks seem to lose 30% of their value after being through their first set of hands. After that, they stabilise and mine has actually appreciated since I bought it.

Field flatteners are necessary for large sensors - say 35mm or larger. They need not be excessively expensive. I'm experimenting with the 3" flattener that Tom Back designed for the WO Fluorostar - I'll comment on this in the fullness of time.

The Tak is a heavy brute. I run mine on an AP 900GTO with about 60 lbs to counterbalance it. I probably could get away with 50lbs if I fiddled a bit.

• Tyson M likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics