•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dark Sky Portal - Remote Telescope Observatory Hosting Company

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 DarkSkyPortal

DarkSkyPortal

Vendor-Remote Telescope Hosting

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:43 PM

Fellow Cloudy Nights Friends,

Even though this is our first post we have been here for some time. We are extremely excited to announce the launch of our Remote Telescope Hosting company; Dark Sky Portal LLC. We have been working on and planning this for over a year. After exploring many sites and options, we have found the ideal site. It’s in Southern New Mexico on over 40 acres and has over 300 nights of clear Bortle 1 skies. We are still in the early stages of our company, with many exciting developments to come. So please be patient with us, as we roll out our website, Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram etc., etc. We will be offering shared hosting in brand new state of the art ROR observatories as well as custom built individual observatories for people and organizations that have specific needs. We plan on having space open for users from July 1st.

In the meantime if you are interested in hosting please contact me by pm or through the website linked below.

Some of our plans for the future include Star Parties, Timeshare/Rental of Planewave CDK telescopes, establishing a 501C to advocate for and encourage STEM subjects especially Astronomy in High Schools.

We have early bird pricing available for hosting space pre-sales. We also would love to hear from people who may have had hosting in the past and are looking to find a new home. We have some great incentives for you too.

Looking forward to being part of this community for a long time to come.

Ian Parkinson: Owner.

Clear Skies.

Edited by noisejammer, 08 June 2018 - 01:57 PM.
removed email address from post

• psandelle likes this

#2 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:06 AM

There has been a lot of activity in recent years (months) in Southern New Mexico.

I think a very big question... probably on the minds of many who will read this... is this.

Where is the 40 acres located ??

What is the access ??  I realize you are saying remote, but there are maintenance issues to tend to.

#3 DarkSkyPortal

DarkSkyPortal

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:01 AM

David,

I understand that many people have considered or even been involved with previous developments in the SW New Mexico area. Sometimes with adverse personal impacts. We are a completely new company with no connection to any previous developers and our site is completely new. In fact if anyone was impacted previously by a failed enterprise. If you are still looking for a host. Please contact us and ask about how we can help. We welcome the opportunity to show the community that a business can be run ethically, with integrity and have the best interests of clients at heart.

The property is near Rodeo, NM with good direct access off Hwy 80. While we don't currently have Dark Sky data from the site the information here is from close by and should be very similar to what you can expect from our site www.cleardarksky.com/c/RstyRVNMkey.html?1

Hopefully I've answered your question and given you a little more background. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Ian

#4 retina boy

retina boy

Messenger

• Loc: Bryan, Texas

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:54 PM

Given the history in the area, I will wait until I see concrete signs of development before rendering an opinion.

There are several good hosting options these days so I hope you are able to offer something special to attract interest. 

I wish you the best of luck with the development and be sure to post your progress via this forum and via a website (which I could not find evidence of). 

#5 DarkSkyPortal

DarkSkyPortal

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:51 PM

Retina Boy,

I can appreciate the skepticism. Sadly some previous attempts caused distress and loss for some members of this forum. I can say that we will not take a dime until a clients equipment is installed and working to their satisfaction.

I truly believe when we are fully up and running, we will have some really unique offerings for the community.

With regards to our website, thank you for pointing out we had not included a link in our signature. We also have a Facebook page, Instagram and Twitter accounts. All of which can be found by searching "DarkSkyPortal". I will apologize in advance for the lack of content across these accounts. We are working on getting the website up and running plus generating social media content.

We will post updates as we have more information. Remember if you haven't already signed up for our newsletter. You can do so by sending an email to sales@darkskyportal.com and put ‘add to mailing list’ in the subject line or go to our website and register via the home page. We’ll make sure we keep you updated on company news.

Thanks and Clear Skies,

Ian Parkinson

#6 DarkSkyPortal

DarkSkyPortal

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:11 PM

Some of you will already be aware of this news as we sent out an advance notice to the original Granite Gap users a few days ago. If you haven’t already seen the new, please see below.

It’s been a few weeks since our last post and a lot has happened in that time. When I originally posted I had planned on opening up at a location close to Rodeo NM. In the background however I was in discussions with Dan Campion regarding the viability of purchasing and resurrecting the old Granite Gap site. While it comes with some challenges and issues, it also has many positives too. Dan was one of the original customers at Granite Gap having bought two lots at the start of that venture. Even after the demise of the old Granite Gap plan, he still believed in the basic concept of it. That is, a location with world class seeing that is a focal point for like-minded souls to meet and enjoy their shared passion. He is so committed to this vision that he is buying the property and has asked me to join him in managing the site.

The property will close escrow on June 1st .  As of June 2nd we will be working on the existing structures to get them ready and improve their overall functionality since their last use.

As of June 1st the old Granite Gap will officially be known as Dark Sky Portal. I will be spending most of my time on site making sure we get up and running as quickly as possible and that we provide the best customer service in the field.  I know we’ve taken a detour from our original plan, but I truly believe this is a far better option for everyone.

If you have any comments or questions please let me know either by email info@darkskyportal.com or below and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

I've attached our current pricing list. Here:

http://www.darkskypo...g-2018-DSP.docx

If you have any questions regarding prices. Please send me a note at sales@darkskyportal.com and I'll get back to you.

Clear Skies,

Ian

Edited by DarkSkyPortal, 28 May 2018 - 06:13 PM.

#7 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:31 PM

Might be helpful to understand why this is a better/as good of location than/as some of your competitors as the pricing seems to command a premium.

#8 DarkSkyPortal

DarkSkyPortal

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:06 PM

Hi Akulpanam,

We believe our prices are comparable with many other remote observatory hosting companies out there. If you take our current 2 year deal, that works out at $553 PM. payable by monthly draft. For that you get:

• Power and emergency power backup 
• Hi-Speed internet,
• On site 24/7 security,
• Access via internet to webcam surveillance of your observatory,
• FREE setup and maintenance, 
• AllSky cams and weather station on site,
• 2 free tickets to our to our twice yearly star parties. That’s a $400 value at today’s rates.
• Access  to our onsite and offsite clouds.
• Plus free accommodation if you come to either install or upgrade equipment with us.
• We will also help you create and manage a group to split costs.

All of that while enjoying some of the darkest skies anywhere. If you have any other questions please feel free to email me on info@darkskyportal.com

Clear Skies,

Ian

#9 DarkSkyPortal

DarkSkyPortal

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:58 PM

Mr Bill,

You are correct it is being opened up as a remote hosting observatory. I'm working with Dan Campion who was one of the original Granite Gap owners and I own the company that will be operating the services at the site. The site is now known as Dark Sky Portal. We have a thread going on the Vendor Forum. You can find a little more there. I was actually on-site yesterday and will be back tomorrow.. Over the next few weeks we are refurbishing the Club House, the Living Quarters and the existing observatories. Judging from yesterdays review trip. We will have Observatories open and ready within a few weeks. As far as RV spaces go. There are a couple of RV power hookups near the club house that are ready now. We will be working to add dump options on site in the near future. While we will have a few RV spaces. At present we will not be going full blown RV park as I believe was in the original plan. We welcome visitors who want to come and spend a few days to enjoy the skies here. I will be on site 100% from the end of June onward.

Please feel free to use the Vendor Dark Sky Portal thread to ask questions regarding our plans etc. Alternatively you can email us at info@darkskyportal.com We'll be happy to answer them.

• paul, DeanS, 3 i Guy and 3 others like this

#10 Nick P.

Nick P.

Explorer 1

• Loc: Portal Az/Rodeo NM

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:11 PM

DarkSkyPortal. Does Gene Turner have any involvement in any way shape or form? Ownership, consultant, employee, contractor, chain gang, etc etc?

Edited by Nick P., 07 June 2018 - 02:03 PM.

#11 BrianOttum

BrianOttum

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:14 PM

Exciting news about GG re-emerging from the ashes.  How will high speed Internet be sourced?

#12 DarkSkyPortal

DarkSkyPortal

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:01 PM

Nick,

ABSOLUTELY NO INVOLVEMENT. As noted above Dan Campion is the new owner and was one of the original GG purchasers. As such he was impacted along with many others who bought into the pitch Gene put out. I have never met or communicated with Gene in any way shape or form.

Dan and I have partnered together, because we both feel that the original concept of a place for like minded astronomers to come together. Was the right one. We are both working hard to do this right and as transparently as possible. I see you are just down the road from us. I will be on site more or less full time from the end of the month. Consider this an open invite to drop by and see what we are doing with the place.

Regards,

Ian

#13 DarkSkyPortal

DarkSkyPortal

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:05 PM

Hi Brian,

Right now we are still researching the options available at that location. We only got ful access to the site in the last week or so. I have done preliminary cell data tests and we get good connections. However I believe we can do better and will be focusing on the connectivity solutions when I move down here full time in about three weeks.

I'll keep you posted over on the Dark Sky Portal thread and through our website when that's finally finished and up.

Regards,

Ian

#14 Honeybeeman

Honeybeeman

Lift Off

• Loc: Amigo del Cielo

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:42 PM

Ian, could you be more specific about the thread you started in vendors?  I can fallow directions like

Forums

Observatories

Rancho Hidlago

#15 DarkSkyPortal

DarkSkyPortal

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2018 - 03:02 PM

Sure:

Cloudy Nights  →

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements  →

Vendor and Group Announcements → 

Dark Sky Portal - Remote Telescope Observatory Hosting Company

Hope this helps.

#16 Honeybeeman

Honeybeeman

Lift Off

• Loc: Amigo del Cielo

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:31 PM

Ian  Thanks it makes sense and found it: and bookmarked

#17 DarkSkyPortal

DarkSkyPortal

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:02 PM

Honeybeeman,

Happy to help. I see you are also not far from us. As before. You are welcome to come over and see what we are doing with the place. It will be great to meet my neighbors :-) I should be there full time by the end of the month. Check the other thread for updates.

Regards,

Ian

#18 Chucke

Chucke

Viking 1

• Loc: AZ

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:54 PM

Once you are here full time I'll drop by to visit.  I am also local.

#19 DarkSkyPortal

DarkSkyPortal

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:53 AM

There have been a lot of things happening here at Dark Sky Portal. Not only are we continuing to improve the residence and club house on property. We are also re-commissioning the observatories, as fast as we can. In addition to providing first class remote image hosting facilities.

We are also adding our own telescope imaging systems for individual or time share team rental. I’ve listed the three imaging systems we have available below. If you or your group are interested in getting time on any of these systems please send me a PM for details. If you’d like to be part of a team but don’t have other members in mind. We can help you create and manage a team.

We also have great rates for educational institutions and 501C’s who want to gain additional capacity.

On site at Dark Sky Portal, Animas, NM.

Paramount ME
Takahashi Mewlon 250.    F10.    2500mm
FLI 16803 Proline
Centerline 10 position filter wheel
LRGB Ha
FLI Atlas focuser
Guided by
Pentax 75
QSI 6120

Available at our satellite location in Amigos del Cielo, Rodeo, NM.

Planewave 14"  F7.2  2563mm
Astro-Physics 1600 mount w/encoders
FLI ML50100
FLI CFW 10-7 w/65mm filters LRGBHaSi2O3
Hedrick focuser
Full temp control

Pentax 125 800mm
Astro-Physics 1200 mount
FLI Proline 16803
Atlas focuser
FLI CFW 5-7 w/50mm filters LRGBHaSi2O3

Clear Skies. (  see attached images of our Astro-Photography setups.

DSP Scope DC 1

DSP CN Img R

Edited by DarkSkyPortal, 06 August 2018 - 03:55 AM.

#20 aitke12

aitke12

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Abu Dhabi

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:53 AM

your website doesn't work,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics