•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SL2/200D or D5300 unmodded

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 coenie777

coenie777

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pretoria - South Africa

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:46 PM

Any views on whether the Canon SL2 managed to close the gap on Nikon's D5300 (seeing that it uses the same sensor as the 80D)?

For deepsky, and no current need to stick with Canon, should one get SL2 with more modern processor and chip or stick with the tried and tested D5300? Image comparisons on Dpreview tells me D5300 still has edge:

https://www.dpreview...897566010148793

DxOMark show D5300 clearly ahead of the SL2 in terms of dynamic range and noise:

https://www.dxomark....5300___1171_919

And Photonstophotos also tells the same story.

http://www.photonsto...,Nikon D5300_14

What is the experience under the stars?

#2 dhalgren

dhalgren

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:02 AM

I have had my SL2 since March and I have been very happy so far. I did not really have an option of going away from Canon, I have too much invested in lenses, T-rings, and the ability to find all the controls by feel in total darkness. grin.gif 

#3 coenie777

coenie777

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for the reply. Canon has served me very well but I am also wondering what I will be missing. I only have once Canon lens (70-200) so I can afford to make the leap if it means better image quality.

#4 Jerry Lodriguss

Jerry Lodriguss

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Voorhees, NJ

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:27 PM

You need to compare the raw files on the DPReview comparator, and if you do, you will see that there isn't much difference visually with noise in the deepest shadow areas (which is where it counts).

Personally I don't pay any attention to the DXO Mark scores because how they arrive at them is opaque.

Photons to Photons is the one to pay attention to but the numbers in the charts you link to are derived from the DxO data.

Here is another chart showing readout noise at various ISOs comparing the two cameras from Photons to Photons where I think the data is original. This is the one I would pay the most attention to.

It shows the Canon with 3.555 e- of read noise at ISO 200, and the Nikon with 2.732 e-.

That is a little bit of a difference in the Nikon's favor.

Unless you are shooting under exceptionally dark skies with either slow focal ratios or filters, this probably won't make much of a difference.

Between these two cameras, I would pick the one you like the most in terms of the features and ergonomics.

The quality of the long-exposure deepsky images produced with them will almost certainly come down to the photographer's skill and expertise than the camera's technical capabilities.

That said, if you are really serious and plan to shoot calibration frames, the D5300 is kind of weird with flats with some lenses.  And some of the recent Canons have had problems with artifacts from the autofocus pixels. You should research this here on Cloudy Nights where it is documented, if not actually solved.

"One road leads to despair and utter hopelessness and the other to total extinction." Be sure to choose wisely.  Ok, so it's not quite that bad... :-)

Jerry

Edited by Jerry Lodriguss, 14 June 2018 - 12:29 PM.

#5 coenie777

coenie777

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:09 PM

Thanks Jerry, as always a wise word to put it all in perspective.

I have settled on the 200D and look forward to the marked lower noise and higher QE over my current 40D.

#6 dhalgren

dhalgren

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:46 PM

I took this with my SL2 this morning. It is cropped in Paint Shop Pro directly from the .CR2 and converted to .png, no processing. Orion 80ED, SkyGlow filter, 3 min. ISO 800, Long Exposure Noise Reduction Enabled. I think you will be happy with the SL2, I have been having fun with mine.

Attached Thumbnails

• m27.png

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics