•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New to this forum but not new to meteorites

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rsalpine

rsalpine

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:53 PM

I just wanted to stick my head in the door here and say that initially I didn't know whether I'd be reading a great or a mediocre forum. I'm happy to say that I've seen enough examples of professionalism and knowledge of meteorites to convince me that this one is definitely worth coming back to and you have a forum you can be proud of.

My first hobby in my adult life was astronomy, followed by meteorites, metal detecting, bottle collecting and finally back to astronomy again. When I saw that CN had a space rocks forum I was pleasantly surprised, and reading some of the threads here has brought back some old and favored memories. I recently started a project, organizing and cataloguing my small and long-neglected meteorite collection, something I should have done years ago, and it has been a trip down memory lane. Looking at some of them again after so long has rekindled my dormant interest in these true extraterrestrials.

Anyway, long story short, my fascination and obsession with meteorites started long ago and I'm happy to realize that they're definitely not over yet. My purpose is to offer whatever help I can to those considering a hobby in which it's often difficult to determine whether the object of our search is even authentic. I'm no scientist and certainly not an expert of any kind but I do have some practical experience that may be helpful, primarily to beginners.

So far my 'education' in meteorites has come from an excellent book by O. Richard Norton and several by H. H. Nininger along with a number of other limited sources. My visits here may be infrequent but I look forward to sharing experiences and knowledge with fellow meteorite hunters and collectors.

My best to all,

Ron

• Glassthrower, mark8888 and Kunama like this

#2 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:13 AM

Hi Ron,

Don't be a stranger.  :)

I've been thinking of popping in more often also.

Best regards and clear skies,

MikeG

#3 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 10 June 2018 - 02:19 PM

Greetings Ron. Pictures are always welcome!

Lee

#4 rsalpine

rsalpine

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:04 PM

Thanks Mike, Lee, I appreciate the welcome. Might be a bit late cataloguing my small collection, already I've noticed that I'm missing a partial slice of Richfield and I have one partial slice of what looks like an H-chondrite without a label that I haven't identified yet. Since I'm retired now, cleaning up these loose ends will be my day job and looking through the telescope can be my (clear) night job.

Ron

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics