•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Classic Telescope has been sawed off................

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:10 PM

And you've stuck it on the perfect mount, Chris!  Nice.  waytogo.gif

• Kasmos likes this

#27 Kasmos

Kasmos

Viking 1

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:34 PM

Thanks Chuck.

My 814 is always out and ready so all of my small refractors end up being tested/used on that mount. 

• Chuck Hards, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#28 Bigern

Bigern

Vostok 1

• Loc: Miami Fl.

Posted 17 June 2018 - 11:26 AM

Love these small cut down refractors! I have a Kmart Focal zoom scope I would like to turn into an astronomical scope and cut down too. How do you know where to cut it?

#29 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Vostok 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:11 PM

What a fun project. I read some earlier threads on this subject and just had to try my hand at it.

Started with a mayflower 806 click zoom. made a scope on a stick and cut the tube. focus assy. from a 9te5 and here you are.

Not as well executed as many others but functions well. Here it is just last night on lunar duty.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 20180616_200656.jpg

• Chuck Hards, Bomber Bob, Kasmos and 2 others like this

#30 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Vostok 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:19 PM

I haven't chopped too many Classics, but I'm very pleased with this one -- I converted a Tinsley Saturn 40mm terrestrial spotter into a 50mm right angle finder for my Tinsley 6" Cassegrain.  The spotter's lens was shattered, and the large replacement may be older than the scope it rides on...

attachicon.gif Tinsley - RA Finder S71.jpg attachicon.gif Tinsley - RA Finder S72.jpg attachicon.gif Tinsley - RA Finder S73.jpg

Now that has real personality. way cool waytogo.gif bow.gif

Edited by Russell Smith, 17 June 2018 - 02:24 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#31 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 17 June 2018 - 03:25 PM

Love these small cut down refractors! I have a Kmart Focal zoom scope I would like to turn into an astronomical scope and cut down too. How do you know where to cut it?

You will need to remove the objective cell and measure it's focal length.  That's the starting point.  Then it's just a matter of following my thread or other's instructions already posted, but if you want to start your own thread on it, we'll coach you through the process.

• Bomber Bob, Bigern and Russell Smith like this

#32 Bigern

Bigern

Vostok 1

• Loc: Miami Fl.

Posted 17 June 2018 - 04:52 PM

I'll check out the other threads so I can learn how to measure the focal length thanks! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics