•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOS Synscan Wifi plus SkySafari

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 myloxyloto

myloxyloto

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:24 AM

Hello all,

could anyone please comment on whether you still need two iOS devices to properly work with Synscan Pro App and Skysafari?

I am about to purchase an iPad which I will primarily use for private stuff, however it would be nice to use it for my AZEQ6 plus SynScan Wifi Adapter as well.

And if so, does it have any advantage to use the LTE Model? Or is it sufficient to take the WiFi Model, as it has a GPS module? 

Thanks all smile.gif

Edited by myloxyloto, 11 June 2018 - 11:27 AM.

#2 sg6

sg6

Aurora

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:29 PM

As far as I am aware it is still the situation.

I would guess that when you start up a new app that iOS closes the previous, so that you start up with Synscan then initiate Skysafari but that causes iOS to close Synscan. After which the Synscan is not available to the mount for the data that it supplies.

That would mean that only if they redesigned iOS to some extent that you would have the option of 2 apps running. Which would be a major undertaking.

I assume that the reason is simply speed, as iOS can allocate all the cpu to the single active app. Whereas Android will have at least 2 running, foreground and background, and each will use a proportion of the avaiable cpu time, hence the "main" app would be a little slower.

The potential problem of Android is that it is too easy to have the one on the screen in the foreground and more then one in the background. So it ends up running slow.

#3 Dave Chapman

Dave Chapman

Editor - 50 Things to See on the Moon

• Vendors
  • Loc: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 25 June 2018 - 05:20 PM

In the SynScan Pro app, look under Help. It most definitely says that you need two iOS devices. One to run SynScan Pro (keep the screen open!) and another to run SkySafari. I managed to do this with the unit running in station mode. Still experimenting!

Dave

also see https://www.cloudyni...pter/?p=8665684

Edited by Dave Chapman, 26 June 2018 - 03:33 PM.

• myloxyloto likes this

#4 Dave Chapman

Dave Chapman

• Vendors

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:56 AM

(I am not connected with SkyWatcher, I'm just an enthusiastic user.)

I have successfully controlled a SynScan Alt-Az telescope with SkySafari on an iOS device (Device A) but you absolutely need to be simultaneously running SynScan Pro on another iOS device (Device B). Both devices must be connected to the WiFi network broadcast by the SynScan WiFi adapter (the SSID is SynScan_WiFi_xxxx, with xxxx a code unique to your adapter, and the IP address is 192.168.4.1). This network is isolated from the Internet. This is called Access Point Mode.

Device B will be assigned an IP address such as 192.168.4.2 when you connect to the adapter over WiFi using Syn Scan Pro. Make sure everything is running fine, and perform your initial sky align just as if it were a hand controller. Keep the app running and on-screen! There's a setting for ensuring that. Put Device B aside (but you can always use it to control the 'scope).

When you are ready for SkySafari, launch it on Device A and go to Settings: Telescope: Setup and choose Scope Type to be "SkyWatcher SynScan" and Mount Type to be "Alt-Az. GoTo". Under Communication Settings choose the IP Address of Device B and Port Number 11882. Almost there!

Press "Done" on the setup screen to return to the main SkySafari screen. Press the telescope icon to raise the menu and press Connect. That should do it!

You can also do this in Station Mode. Follow their instructions, and note that the IP Addresses will change. I find that in Station Mode, especially while learning, things are more likely yo get messed up, in which case you need to know how to do a factory reset. See https://www.cloudyni...pter/?p=8665684

Hope this helps. 

Dave

Edited by Dave Chapman, 27 June 2018 - 02:05 PM.

• RazvanUnderStars likes this

#5 caseyfinn

caseyfinn

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: West Texas

Posted 25 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

After trying almost every variation of setups I'm stuck and was hoping someone could just tell me "that's not gonna work" or just change this digit to.... Here is what I've been trying:

Connect my iphone to synscan wifi dongle through the synscan pro app. Align my Atlas EQG. "Try" to connect my macbook to the same equipment through skysafari 6 to then run phd2 for guiding. I always get some variant of connection successful but no communication with mount. 

I've tried changing the settings in skysafari that make sense to me:

mount: Meade lx-200gps, Skywatcher synscan, Orion atlas

type: Equatorial goto

connection: wifi

ip address:192.168.4.2      192.168.4.1      192.168.4.3         192.168.4.4

port:11882 and 11880

They all seem to connect but nothing will let my mac take control of the mount. 

Is the SkyFi 3 Wireless Telescope Controller just that much better than the SynScan Wifi Adapter?

Thanks for any advise. I have literally been reading these forums for years. Great info.

Casey

#6 Dave Chapman

Dave Chapman

• Vendors

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:41 AM

After trying almost every variation of setups I'm stuck and was hoping someone could just tell me "that's not gonna work" or just change this digit to.... Here is what I've been trying:

Connect my iphone to synscan wifi dongle through the synscan pro app. Align my Atlas EQG. "Try" to connect my macbook to the same equipment through skysafari 6 to then run phd2 for guiding. I always get some variant of connection successful but no communication with mount. 

I've tried changing the settings in skysafari that make sense to me:

mount: Meade lx-200gps, Skywatcher synscan, Orion atlas

type: Equatorial goto

connection: wifi

ip address:192.168.4.2      192.168.4.1      192.168.4.3         192.168.4.4

port:11882 and 11880

They all seem to connect but nothing will let my mac take control of the mount. 

Is the SkyFi 3 Wireless Telescope Controller just that much better than the SynScan Wifi Adapter?

Thanks for any advise. I have literally been reading these forums for years. Great info.

Casey

Dear Casey,

I've had my unit out several times, and most times I can get a second device to control the telescope using SkySafari—but not always. If everything is freshly booted and initialized, I usually have success, but then (inexplicably) control is lost and cannot be resumed. I have not played with it enough to troubleshoot the problem, but it is frustrating. I have just not found the system reliable enough in this mode (no problem simply using the SynScan Pro app alone). Another thing I have found is that the app and SkySafari can disagree on where the telescope is pointing. With some reluctance, I am at the point where I cannot unreservedly recommend the SynScan WiFi, certainly not if the user intends to use SkySafari. I hope the problems get sorted out soon, but perhaps the (more expensive) SkiFi 3 is truly the way to go. I really wanted the SynScan WiFi to work!

clear skies

Dave

Edited by Dave Chapman, 26 July 2018 - 05:42 AM.

• caseyfinn likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics