•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter from Dallas 06/10/2018

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgeInDallas

GeorgeInDallas

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas USA

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:39 PM

Here is my first image with my new ASI224MC camera. Ten percent of 16K frames captured about 11PM Saturday night were used to produce this image. Imaging configuration: C14, Optec Focuser, Chroma L filter, ZWO ADC, TeleVue 2.5x Powermate, ASI224MC camera. The color camera and FireCapture ADC tool was a great help with the ADC adjustment. Seeing was average. 

George

Attached Thumbnails

• 2018-06-10-0410_4-L-JupWavPS.jpg

• Achernar, sfugardi, Az Frank and 13 others like this

#2 GeorgeInDallas

GeorgeInDallas

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:31 AM

Thanks to everyone who "liked" this image.

When I image with the ASI224MC camera I notice that the Red, Green and Blue channels are significantly out of balance. I can rebalance them easily in Registax to achieve a reasonable color balance. I have noticed that Darryl has recommended in several post to use the following settings with the ASI224MC camera.

Wred should be 52 & Wblue 95 btw...

When I look in my image log file Wred and Wblue appear as follows:

WBlue=95 (off)
Brightness=1 (off)
FPS=100 (off)
WRed=52 (off)

Is the (off) following these values significant? Does it mean that these settings are being ignored? If I need to change these values, where in firecapture are these settings? 

George

Edited by GeorgeInDallas, 12 June 2018 - 07:32 AM.

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 12 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

That would indicate that these are the values being applied George...these cameras seem to have a few peccadilloes such as the need to rebalance the colours as well as boost the saturation & vibrancy in post-processing... 

If you want to see what those sliders are set at, click the tab with the "More" label just under the "Gamma" slider label in the latest version of FC...earlier version just had a little (triangular) dropdown tab which came up with "More" but that's where you find the Wred & Wblue  & Brightness etc controls. :)

• GeorgeInDallas likes this

#4 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:19 PM

Thanks to everyone who "liked" this image.

When I image with the ASI224MC camera I notice that the Red, Green and Blue channels are significantly out of balance. I can rebalance them easily in Registax to achieve a reasonable color balance. I have noticed that Darryl has recommended in several post to use the following settings with the ASI224MC camera.

Wred should be 52 & Wblue 95 btw...

When I look in my image log file Wred and Wblue appear as follows:

WBlue=95 (off)
Brightness=1 (off)
FPS=100 (off)
WRed=52 (off)

Is the (off) following these values significant? Does it mean that these settings are being ignored? If I need to change these values, where in firecapture are these settings? 

George

You can automatically rebalance during the stacking process (if you use AS!3).  "RGB Align" not only aligns the color planes, but it also balances the relative histogram peaks.

#5 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:04 PM

Which mount do you use?

#6 GeorgeInDallas

GeorgeInDallas

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:22 PM

I have a CGE Pro mount. I use the FireCapture auto guiding and AutoAlign features. I basically skip polar alignment and just use my iPhone Compass to point the scope in the North Direction. With this minimal effort the planet remains centered in reasonably small ROI. 

George

#7 TorstenEdelmann

TorstenEdelmann

Viking 1

• Loc: Landsberg, Germany

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:41 PM

Is the (off) following these values significant?

No, you can ignore. It's only relevant for controls having a checkbox (like gamma). I should remove this output in the next version for not causing any confusion.

Good Jupiter btw...

Torsten

#8 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:34 PM

I have a CGE Pro mount. I use the FireCapture auto guiding and AutoAlign features. I basically skip polar alignment and just use my iPhone Compass to point the scope in the North Direction. With this minimal effort the planet remains centered in reasonably small ROI. 

George

Nice great, thank you very much!

You answered me about this mount question, now the question from your post is: while you are using FC auto guiding and AutoAlign, do you use any guide scope for example for guiding or it is just the main OTA and no guiding? also, for how long is that planet remains centered in any ROI?

I think i have to use firecapture now then more than Sharpcap, the only problem with firecapture is that i use a color camera but the video is coming out as mono, this is the only reason i use Sharpcap over firecapture.

#9 GeorgeInDallas

GeorgeInDallas

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:57 AM

TareqPhoto

No guide scope is involved in the FireCapture Autoguiding and AutoAlign. FireCapture utilizes the video data from the main scope to guide and align. With a little bit of trial and error tweaking at setup the Planet will remain centered in the ROI indefinitely (hours). It greatly simplifies the data acquisition procedure.

I also use a Color camera (ASI224MC). Firecapture can display the video in Color, but when recording Firecapture records the video in RAW format. The RAW video is input to Autostakkert which is able to debayer the video during the alignment and stacking processing and produce a stacked color image. Maybe someone else can jump in and explain this part of your question. I have just started using a color camera and can not explain the color processing in any more detail.

Good Luck,

George

#10 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:25 AM

TareqPhoto

No guide scope is involved in the FireCapture Autoguiding and AutoAlign. FireCapture utilizes the video data from the main scope to guide and align. With a little bit of trial and error tweaking at setup the Planet will remain centered in the ROI indefinitely (hours). It greatly simplifies the data acquisition procedure.

I also use a Color camera (ASI224MC). Firecapture can display the video in Color, but when recording Firecapture records the video in RAW format. The RAW video is input to Autostakkert which is able to debayer the video during the alignment and stacking processing and produce a stacked color image. Maybe someone else can jump in and explain this part of your question. I have just started using a color camera and can not explain the color processing in any more detail.

Good Luck,

George

Thanks!

No, i am not asking about how to process, i just ask why Firecapture record in mono, so i feel like i won't get color even after AS!3 and Registax processing, but if the video will be in RAW as you said and then automatically it will turn back colors once i process them by those apps then that is fine.

#11 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:38 PM

Thanks!

No, i am not asking about how to process, i just ask why Firecapture record in mono, so i feel like i won't get color even after AS!3 and Registax processing, but if the video will be in RAW as you said and then automatically it will turn back colors once i process them by those apps then that is fine.

AutoStakkert knows the Bayer pattern for your raw data, so it can (and does) re-assemble into a color image, with no interpolation among pixels.

#12 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:46 PM

AutoStakkert knows the Bayer pattern for your raw data, so it can (and does) re-assemble into a color image, with no interpolation among pixels.

Ah ok, good to know.

I will see if i will shoot today something [i think this time i will focus on Saturn only] so i will test Firecapture, then process with AS!3, if i get color then i will try hard to keep shooting with FC only, if not and something off or wrong then i will go back to Sharpcap.

Also, i feel i don't want to waste time now to set ADC again, i will adjust it visually and lock it and then use it with camera, i always shoot like late or in rush, these days the sky is almost clear good seeing but i have situations, and the planets mainly Jupiter is moving fast now, and good as i see Venus is out after sunset, but i hope with my limited tools i can get things[results] out of them.

#13 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:01 PM

Also, i feel i don't want to waste time now to set ADC again, i will adjust it visually and lock it and then use it with camera, i always shoot like late or in rush, these days the sky is almost clear good seeing but i have situations, and the planets mainly Jupiter is moving fast now, and good as i see Venus is out after sunset, but i hope with my limited tools i can get things[results] out of them.

Venus is best just now around 4pm local time, when the sun is still well above the horizon and Venus itself is very high in the sky. Even if you don't have a permanent mount, it can still be tracked down using the offset from the sun and a good finder in a clear, blue sky.

#14 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 13 June 2018 - 06:40 PM

Venus is best just now around 4pm local time, when the sun is still well above the horizon and Venus itself is very high in the sky. Even if you don't have a permanent mount, it can still be tracked down using the offset from the sun and a good finder in a clear, blue sky.

I will try that, but i got busy shooting the other 3 planets, Juve/Satu/Mars, Jupiter is easier to shoot, while Mars is not much easy, and the most difficult is Saturn, Venus is very bright and need special filters maybe for surface details, but i really feel i want another scope than my Mak, i got some nice results but they are all small sizes, and my refractor has better or sharper results but even much smaller than Mak, so i just now wish if i have minimum 14" or larger, something of 3500mm native and larger, using Barlow with my Mak is killing it, it is TV 3x, the only hope is buying 2x Powermate and give it a try, just need to do something first.

I really wish to see an original videos from those large scopes such as this C14 and see how good or bad is the seeing, if it is almost matching my video then it means i need to work more on processing, if it is way better due to seeing then i can't do anything to enhance it more even with extreme processing.

I can get Venus just before it sets, i can see it still in the sky even low while darkness is started, i can quickly if i get ready polar align the mount and quickly goes to Venus, i think it is setting nearly 8-9pm, darkness here starting by around 7:40pm, the sun sets around 7:10pm nowadays, and i can see Venus is still visible up, at the same time Jupiter is up too the other direction [SE].

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics