•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon 450D repair question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pianoman2

pianoman2

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles county,Calif.

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:17 PM

Hi There,

I just took the old mainboard out of the camera and have a new one ready to go in. I heard somewhere that I might need some software to make the new board compatible or connect to the rest of the camera. I hope this makes sense. I called the person who modded the camera for me and he suggested I send it to the UK. Well that's out. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks, victor

#2 randcpoll

randcpoll

Explorer 1

• Loc: New York

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:26 PM

There is no such thing as having to change software. If it is a 450D board and nothing else in the camera is broken it will work.

#3 pianoman2

pianoman2

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 11 June 2018 - 07:31 PM

Thanks, I'm putting in the new board as we speak. I'll post a reply on my results.

All the best,victor

#4 pianoman2

pianoman2

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 11 June 2018 - 11:58 PM

Hi there,

I put the new board in and the battery light does not go on. so I opened it up and checked all the strip cables and tried it again. nothing. So this camera will be going on sale for parts. I only tried to fix it because it's Baader modded . By Gary Honis. Luckily I have a T3i so i'm ok.

Can't win all of them, victor

#5 randcpoll

randcpoll

Explorer 1

• Loc: New York

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:09 AM

By battery light I assume you mean the SD card light that comes on when you first start a camera. So that probably means it was the power supply board all along. Sorry, troubleshooting cameras is a pain.

#6 proteus5

proteus5

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:24 AM

I broke the usb connector on my 450D. I got another main board from ebay and swapped it and all was good. 

#7 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Melbourne, Florida

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:27 AM

The main board is supposed to be loaded with Canon's software. If you bought a board that does not have this software loaded you are SOL because only Canon can do that. 

Even if you got one of those boards, the camera would still power up and show signs of life. It would something on the screen but you cannot do anything with it...but it would show life.

If you are not getting anything out of the camera then it must be a loose cable somewhere, or the DC power board is not working and supplying power to the rest of the camera.

Most power comes from 'normal' cables with typically black wires into a white connector. Most ribbon cables are signal only and not power. On the 450D main board I believe it is located on the bottom side of the board near the far right side, under a ribbon cable located on the top.

#8 pianoman2

pianoman2

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:51 PM

Ok, With the old mainboard I had power and everything worked except the mini usb port. I had that repaired once before at the local camera shop. When I took out the board I noticed that the mini port was loose of course. Common problem I think.
That's when I bought the new board that was supposed to be loaded with the canon software or so they said. No way of me knowing for sure. Well that little red light light did not come on. I probably goofed up with one of the ribbon cables, that"s what I think. Now i'm going to put the old board back in and see what happens.
If nothing happens, I'll try to sell it for parts. If by some miracle it works I still can use it just not with my favorite program of all time Backyard EOS.

Thanks guys for your replies, victor
update to follow of course.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics