•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need some help with SCT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 nreid

nreid

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:21 PM

Ok looks like I am going to sale my dob and my orion refractor to jump into the CAT market. I have about 1300+ to speed no more than $1599. I am looking at three scopes. The celestron C9 1/4-S ADVANCED SERIES, the nexstar 8i, and the meade 8" LX-10.

I am not real good with EQ mounts but I am willing to learn. I would prefer a go-to but I can add this later with all three I believe. My gut says go with the C9 because of size. But I am not sure about the setup. I have read most of the post and I am still just looking for opinions and comments that might help with this task.

This will be the last scope for a long time since my wife is having a baby in a couple of months and I can no longer justify having two scopes. So this one will need to be one I can live with happly for several years... If that is possible in this field.

Thanks!

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 04 April 2004 - 05:51 PM

There's no easy way to add goto to the LX10 but you can install digital setting circles on it to help you find your way around. Cost for that is around $500.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:40 PM

I purchased the Celestron NexStar 8i from Astronomics, I added the GPS unit and the AC adapter. With shipping and handling it was under $1600. I've had it for about a month now and I am real happy with it. By the way, Astronomics was one of the few venders that included the goto hand controller as a standard feature.

#4 imbored20

imbored20

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:20 PM

I have the 8" lx10, and love it. I got the UHTC from woodlands while it was on sale for $899. Although goto would be nice, im having a great time learning the sky and learning to locate things. If its still on sale, i would definitly go for the lx10, cause its a steal at that price.

John, who makes the digital setting circles? I might be interested in that in the future.

#5 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:26 PM

John, who makes the digital setting circles? I might be interested in that in the future.

http://www.jimsmobil...ta.htm#Complete

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:11 AM

I too purchased the LX10 on special (from Astronomics) for $799.

It's a great scope! and I've seen the special still available at a few places last week. Search around the web, I'll bet you can find one.

I agree that it's a hard scope to upgrade... but then again, sooner or later Astronomics is going to list an LX200 GPS mount for sale in their 'broken, borrowed and blue' section.

In the meantime, I have the same optics and with my telrad, who really needs goto anyway.

Good luck with your new scope whatever it may be!

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:17 AM

PS. I never owned an EQ mount before this LX either... it's actually very very easy to use. It just look intimidating.

Since I'm not doing photography (okay I am using an LPI a little), I just point the wedge sorta kinda toward Polaris. I just eyeball it. Takes 10 secs.

That's good enough for most nights (95%) when I'm not hunting those 'hard to find' objects.

The Telrad makes my 'quick' alignment very very usable, since I'm not using the setting circles. It's only $30. It's a little ugly though, some people like the Rigel finder or APogee's new baby telrad better.

#8 conus

conus

Gemini

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:53 PM

I am not real good with EQ mounts but I am willing to learn. I would prefer a go-to but I can add this later with all three I believe. My gut says go with the C9 because of size. But I am not sure about the setup.

I'd never had a scope before, but the EQ mount w/goto isn't really tough to learn. None of the AS 9.25 components are really heavy. The OTA weighs 21 pounds. Befor the clouds rolled in last night, I had about one and a half hours to work with. Within that time period I was able to set up, check out Jupiter, saturn and about 25 Messier and NGC objects.

#9 Stelios

Stelios

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 05 April 2004 - 01:11 PM

Ok looks like I am going to sale my dob and my orion refractor to jump into the CAT market. I have about 1300+ to speed no more than $1599. I am looking at three scopes. The celestron C9 1/4-S ADVANCED SERIES, the nexstar 8i, and the meade 8" LX-10.

I am not real good with EQ mounts but I am willing to learn. I would prefer a go-to but I can add this later with all three I believe.

No, you CANNOT add GoTo later to the C9.25S (short of purchasing the mount for $695 and trying to sell the old one). There is no conversion possible.

I definitely recommend the GoTo. :jump: If finances dictate a choice between the C8S-GT and the C9.25S I would say get the C8S-GT. This way you have an open path to other scopes in this series (i.e. two years down the road, sell the C8 OTA and get a C9.25 OTA. Or get one of the excellent C6R OTA's, or a different refractor, or...). I have used on my mount a C8 OTA, a C9.25, a Meade AR-5 OTA (I was wondering if the mount would protest but it didn't :smirk:) and a C6R so this is a very live possibility.

#10 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 05 April 2004 - 04:00 PM

I got the lX10 from Woodlands also for that awesome price, and because I went that way I was able to buy a ton of really nice extra's I wouldn't have been able to afford if I went with the other scopes you mentioned, plus it's the same optical tube as the most expensive LX200, and it has UHTC coatings

#11 nreid

nreid

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:59 AM

yeah the meade is really starting to look like a nice package for $899. Man this is a slippery slope. Get the meade and have money for EPs and other things of spend the whole lot on a C9.25 and have nothing left. How do you feel about the quality of the lx-10?

#12 imbored20

imbored20

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 06 April 2004 - 12:27 PM

The LX-10 optical tube is the same quality as Meade's most expensive SCT. It is my first scope, so I dont have much to compare it to, but I love it. The tripod is very sturdy, and everything is constructed well. If you dont absolutly NEED goto, then for the price, the LX10 cant be beat.

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 06 April 2004 - 02:17 PM

There's no doubt about it, if you don't need go to (and you don't) get the LX10 and take the money you save and buy all the stuff you couldn't afford if you went with the other choices. In the end you'll have a more serious scope (except for go to). The LX10 is the most portable of any SCT in that size, and it's rock solid. I bought the LX10 and took the money I saved and bought a Williams 2 inch diagonal, a Konig 2 inch EP, a Antares 8x50 correct image right angle finder, the Celestron EP set, a Telrad finder, and the Losmandy counter balance kit. I spent 1500 bucks, and have a real serious scope now. You would have to spend a lot more to get a set up like this if you buy a more expensive scope to start, and the optics won't be any better. The LX10 is my fourth scope and I can't say enough good about it, the best optics Meade has, very portable and solid, and a steal at that price.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics