•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Arcturus binos verses high End Binos at high power

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 De Lorme

De Lorme

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:45 AM

Hi Everybody, 

I've had my Meade{made in Japan with no undercuts}zoom for a few weeks now and have been able to view Jupiter a few times using my TV 3x barlow from 24mm to about 16mm in my Arcturus binos before the seeing{clouds, wind} got in the way.  Wondering just how much better the zooms would perform in "better"{at higher powers} binos on the moon and planets other than being capable of using wfo eyepieces?

I've only been able to compare the zooms while looking at Jupiter to the 32mm eyepieces that came with the AB and the zooms to me are sharper.  I'm sure there are better eyepieces but the convenience of the zooms have me won over. Hopefully, someday I'll be able to get a pair of Baader Mk IV.  

Clear Skies,  De Lorme

• OneGear likes this

#2 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:11 AM

I bought a set of Arcturus bino's as a present for a friend. Before handing them over, I checked they were functional and the image quality was not obviously different from my Mk V's. The collets worked well. The only part I didn't like was the 1.25" nosepiece but an adapter to connect them to the T2 system is available.

Of course, the potential field of view is not going to be the same. When you're looking at planets, neither matters but the vignetting may cause an issue on the moon - it really depends on how large your eyepieces' entrance pupils are.

IIRC, the optical path length was about 100mm and the clear aperture was 22mm. This means they will start to vignette the whole field at f/4.5. For comparison, the Mk V vignettes the whole field at f/4.3 so there's not much difference there.

#3 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:19 AM

I have a pair of similar Chinese BV by WO and then upgraded to the Denk II BV. Initially I did not see a big difference on the moon, but the larger prism's worked better on DSO, clusters ect. Premium product for sure, bu for $200 for the Chinese BV is a good way to begin.

Where the Denk's really outshine them all is the Power Switch, killer App.

#4 De Lorme

De Lorme

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2018 - 01:36 PM

Hi everybody,  

Good news,  I was able to buy an original Denk standard with the single power switch here on Cn.   Should be here by Wednesday just in time to view the moon.   Not quite as good as the Denk 11 but I'm sure there better than the Arcturus of which I just sold.  Really looking forward to seeing how well the Meade zooms perform with the standard Denk.

Anybody here used these before?

#5 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bear River, CO

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:36 PM

I had one. It worked just fine.

#6 De Lorme

De Lorme

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2018 - 11:56 PM

Beg,  Do you remember the highest powers using the original Denk on planets and with what eyepieces and scope?

Using two eyes has me spoiled now and convenience is a way of life{LOL}  I sold my Baader Zoom which I  really like until I started using bino's to fund this purchase. So hoping that the Denk with the Meade zooms will take me to over 300x on the moon and Jupiter.   

#7 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bear River, CO

Posted 17 June 2018 - 01:05 AM

Beg,  Do you remember the highest powers using the original Denk on planets and with what eyepieces and scope?

Using two eyes has me spoiled now and convenience is a way of life{LOL}  I sold my Baader Zoom which I  really like until I started using bino's to fund this purchase. So hoping that the Denk with the Meade zooms will take me to over 300x on the moon and Jupiter.   

Oh man, that was many years ago. And I've always used my BV'ers more for clusters and and deep sky. Back then I used a 120ST and an 8" dob. But I remember that it was sharp and excellent on the moon.

Just loved scanning the star fields with it, and it was a great compliment to my 20X80 binos back then. Believe the only real difference between the standard Denk and the Denk II was the coatings. Denkmeier has always had a good rep, so I think that you will like it.

#8 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators

Posted 23 June 2018 - 03:23 PM

I've occasionally used my Denks and Mk V's at 300x. To get there I use My TOA150 / AP Barcon / Baader-Zeiss prism / binoviewers + GPC (assuming it's the Mk V)  / ZOA II 10 or 16 mm eyepieces. If the objects below 35 degrees elevation, I will insert an ADC in the mix too.

I see 300x as the absolute maximum my TOA can deliver. I may get two or three nights that are this good every year.

At least two of these will have nothing interesting to look at before i fall asleep. :lol:

#9 De Lorme

De Lorme

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:30 PM

Beg and Noisejammer,

Looking at the moon last night using the original standard DenkS{OSD from now on}I had a problem coming to focus but I was able to. To come to focus I  had to put the other 2-inch extender on that came with my ES 5" FCD100 and then put the OCS going inside the diagonal.  The power switch was really cool and the view was really sharp.

Thinking how I was going to go from one open cluster{if the moon or planets aren't avaiable}to another I left the second entender on and the OCS inside the diagonal I then screwed 2 extensions tubes{one a 3" from the OSD for reflectors and another 1inch I had} onto the Meade zoom and I was able to come to focus.  In my mind's eye, I don't think this will work well in finding guide stars because the increase in power making the FOV smaller.  I don't like taking stuff off and on in almost complete darkness but this is the best solution I've come up with other than leaving the OSD on all the time.

I do and don't like the OSD but will try them for a month to see if I can deal with taking things off and on.

#10 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:15 PM

I find I can switch between binoviewers (using the Baader T2 diagonal) and my 2" diagonal with a large eyepiece. I need to refocus about 30 mm but it's not a huge issue.

I stopped using a Power Switch many years ago - the primary reason was that the focal plane changed more than my scope could accommodate. Although others - among them Eddgie, enjoy using them. I find life's too short to deal with (imo) fundamentally bad ideas.

#11 De Lorme

De Lorme

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:31 PM

I just can't afford the Baader T2 diagonal now.  But it is an alternative later on. I like the power switch but convenience may trump it.  Will have to use the OSD for awhile to see how things work out.

#12 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators

Posted 29 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

I just can't afford the Baader T2 diagonal now.  But it is an alternative later on. I like the power switch but convenience may trump it.  Will have to use the OSD for awhile to see how things work out.

Of course - these are scary-expensive. It may help to know that they have several variants. The least expensive is a prism (roughly $130). It has a standard T2(f) thread on the front so any 2" to T2 adapter will work. I chose an Antares - if you unscrew the top it has a T2 thread.

(I honestly don't recommend the Baader or Tak 2"-T2 adapters .. their "safety" undercut made them jam in my drawtube. The Tak one was particularly bad.)

On the other end, it has a T2(m) thread. RAF Camera offers an adapter to convert the Denk thread to T2. I bought one of these for my Denk II's - I'm happy with the workmanship.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics