•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars Dust Storm

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VTstar

VTstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Burlington, VT

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

I’ve just started observing Mars for the first time and have been reading a bit about the dust storm that is currently happening on the planet. I am still trying challenging myself to make out basic land features, but was curious if anyone is able to observe evidence of this storm at all?
-Ryan

#2 Ed D

Ed D

Skylab

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:29 PM

Definitely yes!  Check out the Solar System Observing forum.  Find the 2018 Mars Opposition Thread.  In there you will find plenty of discussion on observations.  Also check out the Solar System Imaging & Processing forum.  Many good images of Mars, including the dust storm.

Keep observing Mars as often as possible.  Planetary features can change daily, if not hourly.  Most important, have fun doing so.

Ed D

• havasman likes this

#3 dhawn

dhawn

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Barbara, CA

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:42 PM

I'll second the recommendation to look at the Mars threads. The dust storm is noticeable, and in fact obscures features that are normally seen.

#4 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:33 PM

Mars specializes is obscure features without the "help" of storms...

• Jon Isaacs, rowdy388 and SeaBee1 like this

#5 penguinx64

penguinx64

Gemini

• Loc: Manama, Bahrain

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for letting me know about the dust storms.  That probably explains why I couldn't see much last night.

#6 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:12 AM

Dear Vstar, I've been in game along time and have enjoyed many favourable oppositions. Going back on opposition history, the favourable opposition of 1971 was a unmitigated disaster. For approx. 4 months, the entire surface of Mars was obscured by a planet wide dust storm. Astronomers world wide, both professional and amateur, were extremely disappointed. As far as I know, this was the worst Martian dust storm on record! If you check pictures of the '71 opposition, they all resemble pictures of Venus.

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:12 PM

As I recall , the 2001 opposition was also severely hampered by a large dust storm. 

Jon

#8 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:58 PM

Read about it here:

http://www.skyandtel...ust-storm-2018/

Note: the May 24 and June 9 photos are reversed.

We may be skunked like in 2001.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics