•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which Baader prism diagonal for my 4" f/7 refractor?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rustynpp

rustynpp

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: NYC

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:14 PM

Hey all,

I'm looking for a 2" diagonal for the 4" f/7 refractor in my sig, and I decided to get a prism after reading this report (pdf warning) from our own Bill P. It seems as though the Baaders are top of the line, so I guess that's what I'll go for. But there are a few different prism diagonals offered by Baader, at wildly different prices, so I want to make sure I know what I'm getting.

I see 3 different Baader 2" prism diagonals from Agena Astro. From least to most expensive:

Baader 2" 90° Erecting Amici Prism Diagonal - $300

Baader 2" Clicklock 90° Star Diagonal with Carl Zeiss Spec Prism - $540

Baader 2" 90° Erecting Amici Prism Clicklock Diagonal - $720

The comparison report linked above evaluates a Baader Zeiss prism and a Baader Zeiss prism with Clicklock. I would assume that a Zeiss prism is preferred to an Amici prism given the $240 price difference between the first two linked above, but oddly enough the $720 diagonal has an Amici prism. Color me confused.

I guess my question boils down to this - can I expect premium performance from the $300 Amici prism diagonal, in line with what was reported in the shootout?

Thanks!

#2 SteveG

SteveG

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:00 PM

Is this for terrestrial viewing? If not, I would not consider any of the amici offerings.

• rustynpp and Heywood like this

#3 rustynpp

rustynpp

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: NYC

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:28 PM

Is this for terrestrial viewing? If not, I would not consider any of the amici offerings.

100% visual astronomy. Too bad, but good thing I asked. I should do some research into prism types, eh?

Any other recommendations for 2" prism diagonals, preferably under $350? This one from APM caught my eye.

#4 mlanglois

mlanglois

Mariner 2

• Loc: Newton, MA

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:30 PM

Nick,

Steve is correct about the amici prism. In addition, your middle link is closest to the one in Bill's test. He did not test any amici prisms in that article. An amici is a compound prism intended to produce a correct-image and is not generally needed or desired for astronomy. Something new to consider are the Baader BBHS line of diagonals which seem to be very highly regarded.

Michael

p.s. 1. If you like to follow star charts and have a hard time reversing them in your head an amici prism can be very helpful.

2. Apparently, Baader now applies the BBHS coatings to their amici prisms as well.

Edited by mlanglois, 13 June 2018 - 03:36 PM.

• rustynpp likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics