•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My Second DSO Attempt M39

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mjartology

mjartology

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:27 PM

Hi All,

This is my second DSO attempt and I am surprised to get such result right under the hood of highly light polluted Area.

This could have been even more better I guess if I took my Darks well and in end I messed up the ISO of darks. I got to know from one of my post yesterday that most of them/some do not prefer diffracted spikes, I have added them though as it really looked pretty to me. please forgive me for this, I have the original with no spikes too which I will post soon.

Please let me know any improvements/suggestions/feedback

Image Info:

M39

20 Subs of 150 sec exposure

ISO 640

Processed in PS and LR

Removed LP and Gradient, adjusted levels and curves, added Diffraction Spikes in PS

Noise Reduction, Highlights, shadow, WB in LR

Autosave_WithDark_LGLLP_Spikes.jpg

• jeremiah2229 likes this

#2 pedxing

pedxing

Vanguard

• Loc: SE Alaska

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:25 PM

If you want realistic diffraction spikes, you can stretch two pieces of monofiliment (ie., fishing line) centered and 90 degrees from each other across the front of your dew shield when you image. They will be realistic because they will be real!

You're off to a good start. But it looks like your focus is a little off. Do you have a bahtinov mask? That is an easy way to get good focus. And/or if you are using Backyard Nikon, you could use the focusing tool there (minimizing FWHM while in live view).

#3 the Elf

the Elf

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:52 PM

Well done! Focus is off. Not only a bit. If use life view with high magnification you need to dial back exposure when you focus or the star will always be a blob and you can't see if it is in focus or not. Know what I mean? The closer you get to focus the brighter it gets and you can reduce exposure more and more. Don't forget to go back to the inteded setting (Bulb, probably) after that. (Done that....)

Agree, get a bathinov! Cheap and good. Your ISO is not optimal. Many cameras are not optimal on "in between" ISOs. Better go for 400, 800, 1600, all the 100x2x2x2.... Minor issue, nothing to really worry about.

Out of my own experience I recommend to get a free trial of PixInsight rather sooner than later as it makes many things much easier and leads to nice results. But it takes some learning and patience. In your case I guess there is much more color in the image than you got. Still, excellent work for the first shot. If you got nothing better to do, visit my YouTube channel (signature) to see what PI looks like and how much time it consumes. (I'm not making videos, I'm making epics!)

Clear skies to you!

the Elf

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics