•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vortex Recommendation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 darwould

darwould

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:26 PM

So I may be over-thinking my first good binocular purchase but was contemplating one of 2 directions. For the price of a Viper HD 10x50 (option A), I can get a Viper HD 8x42 and a Diamondback 10x50 (option B). My thoughts are that having both (a great 8x and a good 10x) will be more useful across a range of applications vs a single great 10x50 pair. I intend to use these mainly for Astronomy At a fairly remote dark sky location. For anybody that has experience with Vortex - do you have any thoughts on this? From my perspective the Diamondbacks were great until I looked into the Viper  I don’t want to go near the Razor ;) 

#2 dusty99

dusty99

Vostok 1

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:43 PM

I've owned a couple of Vortex models (still have one) and looked through others (including their now-discontinued Japan-made models).  I may be wrong but I think the Viper is now made in China and the quality may have dropped (the Chinese Diamondbacks are fine budget binos, but were never as good as the Japanese-made models, IMO).  

A pair of Opticron 10x50 BGAs will be noticeably better (I own them): https://www.adorama....nt=All Products

And on a budget the Kowa SV 10x50s are also good for astro use (I own them, too):  https://www.adorama....nt=All Products

If I was considering the new Vipers or Diamondbacks I'd definitely want to look through them first, and compare them to the Kowa SVs if possible.

• Foss likes this

#3 darwould

darwould

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2018 - 03:53 PM

Great info. Thanks. I will check those out. I’ve looked through the Diamondbacks and the Vipers, they both look good and the Vipers are a noticeable step up (both were the newer models) but I have limited experience when it comes to knowing how good they are compared to other brands at other pricepoints. Im thinking i’ll Need to continue to try different brands to find out. I was leaning to Vortex simply due to their warranty (and decent reviews) and I live close to the office in Canada which would make any future service easy. 

#4 gwlee

gwlee

Apollo

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:47 PM

I have a Viper 6x32 made in Japan. It’s OK, not bad, not great. Think it’s worth the $300 (50% off)  I paid during closeout. When the lens caps dried out and cracked, Vortex sent me another set at no charge. Many other choices in 8x42. 

#5 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Gemini

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:13 AM

I have a couple of Vortex binos and some rifle scopes from a couple of years ago, and they're very nice.  However there have been reports of the quality going down.  I bought one of their $1000 rifle scopes about a year ago and it wouldn't hold center.  Everything was high and right no matter how much correction I dialed in.  Went back to Vortex twice, and I'm still having the problem.  Finally bought a Leupuld.  Dialed it in the first trip to the range. 

#6 Binojunky

Binojunky

Aurora

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:49 AM

I had the Viper 10x42 for a while and for the price though competent it underwhelmed me, be aware that the latest version of the Viper is now sourced from China no longer Japan, I do also have the latest version of the Diamondback in the 8x42 size, top choice in a review in Bird Watchers Digest and found that it punched above its price point,D.
  • darwould likes this

#7 darwould

darwould

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:19 AM

Many thanks everyone for the comments. I had not considered the location of manufacture. From other posts on other brands this seems to be a general concern. Since I can get the Diamondbacks (new version) at a "great" price (8x42) I may jump on that and continue my search elsewhere for a 10x50 (The Viper 10x50 is crazy expensive here in Canada for some reason).

Lots of previous info here on other brands so I'll do my re-search first instead of asking for recommendations on best brands for 10x50.  I really do expect that the 10x50 for me will only be used for the night sky so that may impact what to buy there as well (i.e. porro instead of roof etc.)

Thanks again everyone. 

Edited by darwould, 14 June 2018 - 10:27 AM.

#8 Binojunky

Binojunky

Aurora

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:53 AM

Many thanks everyone for the comments. I had not considered the location of manufacture. From other posts on other brands this seems to be a general concern. Since I can get the Diamondbacks (new version) at a "great" price (8x42) I may jump on that and continue my search elsewhere for a 10x50 (The Viper 10x50 is crazy expensive here in Canada for some reason).

Lots of previous info here on other brands so I'll do my re-search first instead of asking for recommendations on best brands for 10x50.  I really do expect that the 10x50 for me will only be used for the night sky so that may impact what to buy there as well (i.e. porro instead of roof etc.)

Thanks again everyone. 

The only issue with the Diamondback (new version) is a bit of free play in the focus knob, it been commented on in Bird Forums and is in my sample, its minor and really doesn,t bother me ,other than that its hard to beat at the price point it sells for,D.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics