•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comparing the 18mm UFFs and 17.5mm Morpheus eyepieces

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 13 June 2018 - 02:52 PM

Another good night with SQM 21.5+ skies starting at 12:30 AM.

Spent two hours comparing views of same MW objects using first the 17.5mm Morpheus and then the 18mm UFFs in my Lunt/APM 100mm APOs.

Contrast and image sharpness was to my eyes the same which is to say excellent and same number of stars in each noted in open clusters, so they both get high points. No apparent coma or astigmatism noted in either. Eye relief and ease of eye placement similar with a nod to the UFFs for my eyes....YMMV.

Big difference was the apparent fov, 65 degrees for the UFFs and 76 degrees for the Morpheus.

In a nutshell, if you like big immersive views with a moderate amount of field curvature 80% out from on axis, the Morpheus are your choice.

OTOH, if you want a really flat field almost to the fieldstop with just a touch of field curvature at the edge and don't mind the smaller apparent fov, the UFFs are it.

Me, I can't decide....scratchhead2.gif

Edited by Mr. Bill, 13 June 2018 - 02:53 PM.

• havasman, Xeroid, duck2k and 1 other like this

#2 nicoledoula

nicoledoula

Vostok 1

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:00 PM

And if wider fields are ones thing, buying EP's that are better corrected than the Morpheus isn't out of the question.

#3 GamesForOne

GamesForOne

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:11 PM

And if wider fields are ones thing, buying EP's that are better corrected than the Morpheus isn't out of the question.

What options would that include for 1.25" barrel size of > 17mm focal length?

I have a Pentax XW20 pair and it displays considerable field curvature in the binos at the field edges.

---

Michael Mc

#4 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:23 PM

IMO, field curvature is inherent in the binocular objectives and the Morpheus' larger apparent fov shows it up more.

I believe that the APM UFFs were designed around the APM BTs to minimize field curvature at the eyepiece; that's why they are included with APM's BT binoculars.

Someone that has an APO telescope with a known flat field and the 17.5mm Morpheus would be able to test  the amount of field curvature in the ep.

Edited by Mr. Bill, 13 June 2018 - 08:40 PM.

#5 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:55 PM

I can attest to the small amount of FC with the 18mm UFF's and excellent on-axis performance in the Orion BT100.  Contrast is superb as well.

I was checking out Barnard 142/143 and these eyepieces framed it very well.  These dark nebulae filled the field with wonderful sharpness and contrast.  Surpassed the photos.

If these EP's were built around the binocular, the rest of the series should be grand as well.  The 24's are pending......

#6 starzonesteve

starzonesteve

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 June 2018 - 04:59 PM

If these EP's were built around the binocular, the rest of the series should be grand as well.  The 24's are pending......

The 24’s are spectacular in my APM 120mm

#7 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:05 PM

I enjoyed the wider field of the Morpheus 17.5

the 18 UFF have a narrower field, but the targets are 

no less beautiful.

while I have many eyepieces for my APM’s (and they are all good), the

17.5, 12.5 Morpheus, and my APM 24 mm UFF remain in my eyepiece

tray. I am sticking to my story.smile.gif

Edited by duck2k, 13 June 2018 - 05:07 PM.

• Moravianus likes this

#8 GrahamDFyffe

GrahamDFyffe

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Central Arizona

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:19 PM

I love the APM 24’s in my new Oberwerk BT 100 XL’s. Did I hear some rumor about APM bringing out a 90° eyepiece?

• duck2k likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics