•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lx90 to LX200 Transplant!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Creedence

Creedence

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:46 PM

I haven't fired it up yet, but my 12LX90 OTA is riding on an LX200 mount!

I bought my 12" LX90 at a killer price. I couldn't pass it up. But I have always wanted the more robust fork mount. My plan was to patiently wait for a used mount to avail itself and try to transplant the OTA into the mount to make a poor man's LX200.

I found a member here who was offloading his mount in favor of a GEM, and he kindly boxed the 66 pound bundle up and shipped it to me. I promised myself I'd take a few days to do an analysis and project roadmap, but the Floridian in me decided that after a couple beers, it was ripe for transplant.

I won't bore you with the details, but I have a beautifully aligned OTA riding on the LX200 mount. I'll fire it up tomorrow and calibrate it, and do a fine alignment of needed.

Pics tomorrow once I get to a computer to downsize the cell phone photos I took since they are too large for the site

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Gemini

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:48 PM

Sounds like a good project.  Looking forward to your photos.

#3 Creedence

Creedence

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:01 PM

Thanks! It was not without frustrations as Meade kindly installed faceplates with the smallest hex screws I've ever seen in my life which instantly stripped bare the moment you touched them, and alignment took a few minutes of effort.

I'm not jumping for joy just yet though as it remains to be seen what awaits me once it's powered up. More to follow tomorrow.

#4 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:06 PM

Nice work! :waytogo:  Please show us some pics if you get the chance.

#5 jgraham

jgraham

Hubble

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:41 AM

I have reforked a couple of scopes onto LX200GPS mounts and they have all worked out very well. The LX200 is built like a tank! Yeah, you gotta be careful the first time you crack the little screws loose, but once loose they do okay.

Enjoy your remounted scope!

#6 Creedence

Creedence

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:00 AM

Good morning all!  As promised, I'm checking in with an update.  I powered the system up this morning, and on the surface, it appears everything is working perfectly.  I decided to run a sensor calibration on the mount itself.  It ran through the sequence, and all indications suggest it was completed successfully.  It completed the calibration by pointing to where it thought Polaris was, and though I was indoors, it did appear to be pointing to the right spot.  I also ran a notional 2 star alignment, and that was completed successfully as well.  

All that remains at this point is to get it outside and let the GPS check in with the Mother ship, confirm that works, and do a real 2 star alignment.  I may even run through a sensor calibration again and let to point to Polaris again as well.

Here's a picture from right after the transplant.  I'll get some pictures of it once I get it on the Giant Field Tripod, and again once I eventually get it mounted on the X-wedge.  Because I had such a hard time finding a step-by-step walk through of how to perform the transplant and alignment, I'll summarize the process in this thread so others can benefit  from my experience.  More to follow soon.

Capture.JPG

#7 Creedence

Creedence

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:12 PM

Okay, here's the update and some insight now that I've got the system up and running.

The secret to reforking seems to be to put the OTA back in the fork mount. That's it.

I thought I'd be in for a night of minute adjustments and trying to get the system to align, but there was none of that. I did a 2-star alignment as I always do, then slewed to a target. The first target showed up near the edge of the FOV in my 12mm EP. I synchronized on that, then tried 4 other targets. Each one was dead center. This thing is deadly accurate right out of the gate.

So moral of the story is that deforking and reforking is doable. It seems the biggest caution is to be careful not to scratch th OTA while removing or installing. I did my best to eyeball the alignment in the mounting plates, and it is far more accurate than the LX90 (which was pretty accurate in and of itself).

Edited by Creedence, 15 June 2018 - 09:13 PM.

• Starman27 and Kegan128 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics