•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunt solar wedge used at around F/6?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:26 AM

Bought a TMB 105/650 and wonder if it would be ok to use my 1.25" Lunt solar wedge?  

#2 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:57 AM

I would call Lunt since you are on the edge of what they recommend (4" and under) for that wedge.  For 6" and under they recommend the 2" on their website.

#3 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:58 AM

Would be just fine, but unfortunately, nothing much to observe in white light these days :shrug:

Recommend this site to quickly check for any sunspots. You are in luck actually, there IS something to observe now :)

#4 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:00 AM

BTW, make sure you have your ND filters in place smile.gif

The wedge should have a ND filter installed but the image is still too bright. A polarizing filter threaded to the eyepiece will allow you to control the amount of light since the diagonal acts as the second part of the polarizing effect - just rotate the eyepiece to get to the brightness you prefer.

#5 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:03 AM

BTW, make sure you have your ND filters in place smile.gif

The wedge should have a ND filter installed but the image is still too bright. A polarizing filter threaded to the eyepiece will allow you to control the amount of light since the diagonal acts as the second part of the polarizing effect - just rotate the eyepiece to get to the brightness you prefer.

I have a moon filter that helped a lot when i used it in a AT102 ED at F/7..  The TMB is so sharp so it would be a fun solar scope once more spots start showing up. One day things will start to heat up again.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics